Worst Signings Of 2016

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting list of the 30 worst signings of 2016:

https://overthecap.com/30-worst-signings-2016/

The Packers and James Starks make the list at #28 (2 years, $6 million). Also on this list is Matt Forte (#17, 3 years $12 million), who some thought might have been a good fit for Green Bay last year. Makes me wonder if AP will be on next years list.......

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers and James Starks make the list at #28 (2 years, $6 million). Also on this list is Matt Forte (#17, 3 years $12 million), who some thought might have been a good fit for Green Bay last year. Makes me wonder if AP will be on next years list.......

As mentioned before I'm glad Thompson didn't sign Ladarius Green, a player a lot of posters including myself advocated to bring in, who made this list at #12.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While these lists are fun to look at as well as potentially some indication of what "may have happened" had the FA signed elsewhere, different circumstances, injuries, signing with a different team, could have changed the outcome. I gave this example in another post, how would Jared Cook's season turned out had he signed with Cleveland? Hindsight tools are helpful, but unknown variables (injuries, team) should be taken into account too.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned before I'm glad Thompson didn't sign Ladarius Green, a player a lot of posters including myself advocated to bring in, who made this list at #12.

green had 18 for 304 16.9 per and a td in 6 games. cook had 30 for 377 12.6 per and a td in 10 games. id say green would have been even better for the packers than cook was last season. but i think bennett will be much better than both of them for next 3 years so it all worked out for the best

D

Deleted member 6794

green had 18 for 304 16.9 per and a td in 6 games. cook had 30 for 377 12.6 per and a td in 10 games. id say green would have been even better for the packers than cook was last season. but i think bennett will be much better than both of them for next 3 years so it all worked out for the best

There's no doubt Green is a talented player but it seems he can't stay healthy and there were concerns about his injury history last offseason.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Forte was on the list because he is older, not ineffective per the author. Same logic will be applied to Peterson next year unless he truly shines. Also about half the list was injured for a good part of the season. Really affects perceived value if the player is on the training table.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's no doubt Green is a talented player but it seems he can't stay healthy and there were concerns about his injury history last offseason.

Green also lacks that route running savvy and COD skill to stem off his routes. He is super long and super fast, but he struggled to uncover early on in the down in San Diego. He was really only effective if Rivers had time (i.e. never) and he could get well downfield.

D

Deleted member 6794

Green also lacks that route running savvy and COD skill to stem off his routes. He is super long and super fast, but he struggled to uncover early on in the down in San Diego. He was really only effective if Rivers had time (i.e. never) and he could get well downfield.

While I understand that it was a small sample size but Green was the second best tight end in yards per route run in the league last season, showing he is a talented player when healthy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I understand that it was a small sample size but Green was the second best tight end in yards per route run in the league last season, showing he is a talented player when healthy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Yeah, he's super talented. And ideally suited to that offense in Pittsburgh. However, he isn't that reliable, "always open" option that a lot of QB's like in a tight end. As that stat demonstrates, he's a big play threat.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After reading all these post about Green, I'm ready to sign him to a vet min contract now! LOL :coffee:

Although tongue in cheek on that, can you imagine the Packer offense with Bennett, Green and Kendricks?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, he's super talented. And ideally suited to that offense in Pittsburgh. However, he isn't that reliable, "always open" option that a lot of QB's like in a tight end. As that stat demonstrates, he's a big play threat.

I don't agree the yards per route run numbers prove that Green is mainly a big play threat but a productive player at the position. In addition even if true I wouldn't mind having such a player capable of staying healthy on the roster.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
After reading all these post about Green, I'm ready to sign him to a vet min contract now! LOL :coffee:

Although tongue in cheek on that, can you imagine the Packer offense with Bennett, Green and Kendricks?

That would be "Trendsetting"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't agree the yards per route run numbers prove that Green is mainly a big play threat but a productive player at the position. In addition even if true I wouldn't mind having such a player capable of staying healthy on the roster.

I'm just telling you what I saw over his four years with the Chargers. The numbers bear it out. His YPR was darn near 17 last year. That's some helpful context in understanding why his YPRR was so high.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad. You just have to know what you want. If you want a seam stretcher and deep threat at TE, he's your guy. If you want a security blanket for your quarterback, best look elsewhere.