Work begins on Packers' new defense

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Nice article by the JSONLINE.

Work begins on Packers' new defense - JSOnline

DE - We have good DEs for the system. You want unselfish guys that can occupy blockers who aren't concerned with their sack totals. I think Jenkins, Pickett, Raji, and Jolly (and Harrell, if he's healthy) all fit the bill. Most of those guys were DTs, so they haven't been relied upon for sacks.

NT - Pickett and Raji are both big DTs who won't get washed out by an OL.

ILB - Sounds like they are going to give Hawk the playmaking role. The role that blitzes and runs around to make plays. At times, he'll need to take on some blockers. Barnett will be used more in a coverage role. On paper, it sounds like it fits what those guys can do.

LOLB - Reading Taylor's thoughts on the transition I think he'll be successful. He talks about playing low (being flexible and playing with leverage), and I think that's one of Kampman's strengths. He's not superfast, but he's athletic and flexible.

ROLB - Kampman will mostly rush the passer, but the ROLB will need to be able to read when an offense is paying too much attention to Kampman, and he needs to bring it. It will be key for that guy to get home early in the season when he does blitz. Otherwise, teams will be able to focus on Kampman. Hopefully, Matthews is up to that challenge.

CB - More off coverage means a tough transition for Harris. I think Woodson is capable of playing well in any scheme--at least until he gets too old.

FS - I like Collins, but I'm a little concerned about him being the QB of the defense. He a wonderful athlete and a playmaker (now that he's catching more balls), but he isn't all that bright. Hopefully, with experience he's become football smart.

SS - If Bigby plays like he did in the second half of 2007, I think he can be that dynamic playmaker (a poor man's Polamalu). However, there's no guarantee he'll get back to that.

are you ready for Packer football 2009 ! :happy0005::Bananas2::drinks:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article is very good, with takes of people who understand what they're talking about (not journalists lol).

What worries me this season is the line plays. Specially the right of the O-line and the DE opposite Jenkins. We have a number of guys with A LOT of potential on those spots (Meredith RT, Lang RT RG, Sitton RG, Spitz RG C, Jolly DE Harrel DE), but they need to step up, and early.

I don't have major concerns about our RB, CBs, Safeties and LBs. IMO they will be fine. Neither I'm concerned about Rodgers. He has the talent, the intangibles, and let's face it, MM is one of the best QB coaches in the league, if not the best.

And I'm going crazy with antecipation for the preseason. What will be the first defensive formation? how much of the 3-4 we're gonna see? How will Kampman fare at OLB? And the rookies? Has Finley improved enough to become at least a contributor on the passing game? Can't wait :prayer:

newman79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the link. ... When I was reading the piece I had the same thoughts as you on Collins being the "QB" of the defense and making the calls. It'll be interesting if he can do that? But, I suppose they could always have someone else make the defensive calls?

croxeye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an image to help people understand what responsibilities and other such basic things in the 3-4 are.

The only glaring omit's are the fact that Kampy and Mathews will cover the flats (arrows pointing left and right respectively) and that collins will also be more of a drop straight back man. And the fact that the 3 DL will be straight up and not shooting the gaps.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a discussion about alignement at cheeseheadtv.com. Aaron posted a picture of an old Capers' playbook, and has quotes from McCarthy.
All that propaganda is to say that the DEs, specially Jenkins, will play more the 5 technique than the 3 showed in that JS picture. I think it'll be a 3-4 disguised as a 4-3. A crooked 3-4. Jenkins playing the 5 at the right with hands on the ground, Kampman playing 5 at left in the elephant, the NT taking double teams and Jolly taking a 3 gap, Hawk engaging any lineman that comes clean and Barnett and Matthews roaming around. Of course that's my prediction for the base offense. Capers is very creative and will vary often...

croxeye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol,

just in base defense RS, jenkins and jolly WILL be playing the 5 (head up on the OT) the 3 technique your reffering to is playing the outside shoulder of the OG, the 9 technique is playing outside the OT/TE.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I allways thought 0 was direct from C, 1 between C and G, 2 direct from G, 3 between G and T, 4 direct from T, and 5 at the outside shoulder of the T.

--T--G---C--G---T
5 4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4 5

Something like this...

newman79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from what I've seen, you have to ask whomever is referring to "techniques" to explain their system because there are several different numbering systems, although all are similar. It would be good to know what the Packers mean by it when they use the terms. Anyone know the Packers' exact numbering system for this?

the two systems I've seen start with the NT numbering depending on where he lines up opposite the C. In one numbering system, the NT always plays a "0" technique, no matter if he aligns directly opposite (head-on to) of the C OR whether he lines up to either side of the C's shoulders. This system refers to all three of these positions as the "0" technique. The 1, 2, and 3 technique is then across from each OG (with 1 being the inside shoulder, 2 being opposite and 3 being outside shoulder of the OG). The 4, 5, 6 techniques are across from the OTs. And, finally the 7,8, and 9 techniques are across from the TE.

The other numbering system I've seen used changes the numbers for the NT. If the NT is directly opposite the C, it's 0 technique, and if the NT is off to either shoulder of the C, then it's a 1 technique. And, then other techniques go out from there with 2,3 and 4 opposite the OGs, and 5, 6, and 7 opposite the OTs and so forth.

I'm not sure what terminology the Pack uses? Anyone know?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts