1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

woodson broken collar bone

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Looking at your Avatar.:
    I wonder if Woodson is covered by State Farm?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. faithality

faithality Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    This is an opportunity for our secondary to grow, and see what our secondary post-woodson will look like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    Whatever.... This is how we roll.

4. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    Agreed. My post from last week talking about the future...well, the future came sooner than I thought. This might actually end Woodson's career in GB. 6 weeks minimum. What if his replacements play balls to the wall?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    From what I have seen of Mcmillian so far I trust him to step up and replace Woodson. We need Raji back this week now

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    Now there isn't a controversy on who starts between Heyward and Shields! Problem solved :)

7. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Both Heyward and Shields are corners

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    This is certainly terrible news. Definitely a blow, but is it really going to change the entire dynamic of the defense? I don't think so. As a prior poster pointed out it's going to be his football knowledge we miss most, not necessarily his diminishing skill sets. Woodson has lost a step and there's no doubt about it, and his fragility is an age factor. He is also a land mine when it comes to penalties with his aggressive play style, so him off the field might save some penalty yardage.

Anyone who replaces him will likely be a better skilled player, but the lack of awareness and intuition will have to be monitored closely--routes he might naturally jump at will likely not be pursued by his younger replacement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Oh HAI guise don't worry. Remember 2010?

We can totally go all the way without one of our best players. It's not like we're having trouble covering receivers or anything.

:cautious:

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,251
    Jeez, how many times do we have to say, "next man up"? The good news is the youngster in the D-backfield are playing very well.

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,970
  12. Hype

Hype Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    C-Wood has always been one of my atheletes of all time. His presence on the field will be missed but he will be there to get the locker ready to play...

I have faith in our new cast of characters in the secondary.....

13. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    omgoodness.... couldn't read any more after seeing this!!!!

:roflmao:

Charles-cinderella-slipper-woodson!!!!

14. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970
    My wife reminded me that yesterday I mentioned why was Rodgers with their last series...

Then I said same thing when they showed Clay going in on defense. No need for them to be in at all..Now we are down a guy

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970

If we can not beat the Jags at home with MJD out and either Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne at q/b..... then we dont deserve to go to the playoffs...

Same with the Cards..Their defense is not to bad..But they have no real good q/b..They are down to their 3rd or 4th string rb...no real te either

Colts at least had half way decent q/b and good wr's

16. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52
    You wonder why Woodson had to be on the field with less than 3 minutes to play and we are up by 14. But it could have happened at any time. You can probably pencil in losses to Detroit, NY, and maybe even Minnesota in that 3 game stretch unless ARod can put up 35 points or so. I can see Manning sending Victor Cruz long every play and Stafford doing the same for Megatron. Against the Vikings we will stack the box to slow up Peterson and it will put our safeties in single coverage long as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. BrettsFavor

BrettsFavor Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Guys, we're fine.

18. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    #1- "Woodson made of glass"..... he's been very durable for us, but they say once you break that collar bone, it's easier to break it again. We're lucky he lasted all of last year then. Remember, he was always injured in Oakland, but for us, he's been REMARKABLY durable, luckily.

#2- The timing of this could not be any better.
    As long as it's 6 weeks or close to it. Next 3 weeks: vs crappy Jags. vs crappy (now) Cardinals. bye.
    Yes the 3 weeks after that are tough & important: at Detroit, at NYG, vs Minny.
    Then it's the Lions and Bears after that.

It's good we have 2 guys at safety in MD Jennings and Jeron McMillian, who have been playing plenty back there at safety. I really wish we had Collins though dammit. What bad luck.

I want to know who's the next safety after those 3... in case Morgan Burnett gets hurt. Knowing our luck, we can't be surprised if that happens. And don't blame me if it happens ;)

19. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    Charles may be sidelined but he still has something to add standing on the sidelines. These boy's look up to him. He will be motivating, just not on the field.

20. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I was gonna paste that link for anyone panicking over Woodson not being in the lineup for the next few weeks. We're better with him than without, but I don't believe it's going to be all that noticeable.

Also- Adam Schefter said he broke his other collarbone, not the same one he broke in the Super Bowl. He also said it's not believed to be overly serious.

21. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970
    He said maybe a month? Least I thought that is what I heard on MNF just now

22. LZ13

LZ13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Time for others to step up. Woodson was always my favorite on defense, but age has started to catch up a little bit. No doubt it was Woodson that helped the team in a big way turn the corner in 2010 and win it all.

23. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    It's not doom and gloom with him out of the lineup. The bottom line is Woodson is not the same player we've been accustomed to over these past seven years. He has 1 pick, 1 FF (not recovered b/c we somehow, inexplicably, have yet to recover a fumble), and 1.5 sacks. Even still, he hasn't passed the eye test much during the games. He's been called for more holdings and pass intereferences than ever before. I think much of that has to do with his slowing down game.

With the quartet of Tramon, Shields, Hayward, and House, I don't think the Packers could be in better position to weather the next six weeks. Frankly, it's fitting Hayward will get Woody's playing time given Haywards playmaking ways so far. And McMillian and Jennings have already gotten plenty of experience manning the safety spot in sub-packages. See here for more on the fill-ins: http://wp.me/p29VCs-ca

The biggest unknown will be how his loss will affect pre-snap alignment. It will be incumbent upon Tramon, Burnett, and probably even Hawk to make sure the pre-snap adjustments are made. And as others have stated, Woodson should still be on the sideline coaching up the youngsters during games.

It sucks we'll be without Woodson. But, I'm not overly worried... yet. Just cautiously optimistic in my belief the youngsters are ready.

24. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,797
    In England we used to have a comedy programme called Dad`s Army, in which one characters catchphrase was "We`re doomed, we`re all doomed". Jeez it is true......"We`re doomed !" without Woodson we are well and truly shafted !!!!

25. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,797
    I totally agree that Woodson isn`t quite the athlete he used to be, but he is the heart and brain of the defense. This is one hell of a blow....IMO