Woodson And Matthews Sit Out Wednesday; And Other Packer Notes

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Photo by ICON Packers defensive back Charles Woodson

Update: Matthews and Woodson praticed Friday and are expected to play Sunday.

Clay Matthews did not participate in practice Wednesday because of a quad injury Mike McCarthy said Wednesday afternoon. Charles Woodson also did not particpate because of a foot injury.

McCarthy said he didn't think Matthews would practice until Friday and that Woodson could go Thursday. But McCarthy says he "anticipates" both will play.

With the season-ending injury to Pro Bowl safety Nick Collins, McCarthy was asked what he thought about Woodson playing safety.

"Charles plays four positions for us. He's played corner. He's played dime. He's played nickel, and he's played safety. Those are game-plan strategic type questions. Those are answered on a weekly basis when you line up to play the game."

Though there have been overtures on the 'net that the Pack could be interested in bring back 36-year old Darren Sharper, McCarthy was not asked about that possiblity at Wednesday's presser.

He did say that the team has "all confidence in world" in Charlie Peprah, who will start in Collins' place from this point forward.

McCarthy's basic assessment of his team thus far "The efficiency of our whole operation, offense, defense, special teams, we need to pick it up."

He added, "We've always improved as the season moves on. That's our focus. We're going down to Chicago, it's a big rivalry game. It's a great opportunity four our team. I look at this game as a kind of a marker. It's Week 3 and you have a chance to grow against a division opponent, against an arch-rival."

Don't ask Cutler open-ended questions

Bears QB Jay Cutler met with the Wisconsin media on Wednesday afternoon via the telephone. He was asked a series of open-ended questions regarding the criticism he has endured for most of his career but especially more after last year's NFC championship game.

Cutler was asked three different times was he bothered by the reaction by fans and fellow NFL players after he sat out the second half of the NFC Championship game. Each time he answered "no", followed by silence. The teleconference eventually came to a standstill and Cutler hung up.

Cutler did admit the Bears "need this game".

Dorsey Levens producing new film

Former Packer great Dorsey Levens is producing and directing a new film titled "Bell Rung" documenting the price paid emotionally and physically to play in the NFL. He hopes it will be picked up by HBO, Showtime or the like.

"I had one major concussion in college, and in the pros, I got my bell rung two or three times a game," Levens told the New York Daily News.

"I'm worried a bit about it. I find myself forgetting things at times, but I don't know if that's because of concussions or something that just happens. But as of now, I'm doing pretty good. The sport we play leaves you in a bad position physically and mentally," added Levens, whose 11-year NFL career included a season with the Giants. "It is a dangerous, barbaric sport, no question about it."

How the Packers stackup statistically in the NFL.

It's no surprise the Packers pass defense is ranked among the worst in the NFL after two tough games. It will be a challenge for the team obviously even more so with the season ending injury to Nick Collins.

Defense:

Total Yards: 476 ranked 30th
Passing Yards: 400 rankend 32nd
Rushing Yards: 76 ranked 6th
Points allowed: 28.5 ranked 24th

Offense:

Total Yards: 409 ranked 9th
Passing Yards: 295.5 ranked 8th
Rushing Yards 113.5 ranked 11th
Points Scored: 36 ranked 4th
Field Goal %: 100 ranked tied for 8th

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Levens was one of my favorite Packers in my early days of being a fan. Hope he is and will be alright, would love to see that documentary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts