With the 23rd pick the Packers select...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez Bryant.

He is falling or even taken off some teams' draft boards. Receiver is not such a need area here, but TT will not make the same mistake that he made with Brett Favre. He'll make A-Rod a happy man in drafting another weapon for Aaron Rodgers.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He's a great kick returner, so I wouldn't be totally pissed. But I will be pissed. I've said for the last few months that this and QB were the only positions I didn't want to draft, because I didn't see a need. At least Dez would fill a need as a kick returner, but taking a KR in round 1 feels insane.

Driver is getting old, though, and Dez Bryant could be one hell of a replacement.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my best Tom Jackson impression...."Cmon man"

While part of me wouldn't mind seeing that (the fantasy football part of me), the realist in me knows we have greater needs. Dez Bryant, IMO, would not see much of the field in 2010, barring an injury from one of our starters. And if he did, it would be in very limited action, like a blow-out to Detroit or something along the lines. We are a couple of draft picks away from contending for the Lombardi Trophy, not rebuilding.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moved to draft talk.

I'd absolutely hate that pick. I'd still wait for the season to pan out, to see what would happen.

But if we don't win the SB and Dez Bryant is our 1st pick, I'll personally fly to GB to ask for TT's head.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i...sure as hell hope not, bryants good and all but.. no need, wait till next year

OP
OP
G

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you guys had the chance to go back and draft Randy Moss or even trade for him, wouldn't you have? You guys seriously think that DD will hold up for another season and Nelson and Jones won't get injured. I think after the first 3 games, one of those 3 guys will end up injured. You don't see the need now, but later on in the season you will. Just like when TT drafted Justin Harrell. The position was a need (wrong player though), but we needed a D-lineman that year after Jenkins went out and Pickett got hurt.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If you guys had the chance to go back and draft Randy Moss or even trade for him, wouldn't you have? You guys seriously think that DD will hold up for another season and Nelson and Jones won't get injured. I think after the first 3 games, one of those 3 guys will end up injured. You don't see the need now, but later on in the season you will. Just like when TT drafted Justin Harrell. The position was a need (wrong player though), but we needed a D-lineman that year after Jenkins went out and Pickett got hurt.
Dez Bryant isn't Randy Moss.

Although now that you bring it up, the similarities going into the draft are striking. Both were top 10 talents, both had character issues that caused/will cause them to drop.

Physically, though, Dez Bryant isn't Randy Moss. More like Santana.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly anybody but Randy Moss, imo I hated him when he was younger... but i see what your saying. Randy Moss isnt Bryant though. Someone will step in if sadly they do get injured, I just think it would be a bad choice to get a WR that early. Last year for an example if we wouldve drafted Crabtree instead of Raji. Who knows if he wouldve still been a holdout, but we still filled a hole where we needed it. Thats why i highly doubt we do.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last year I was reading how if Crabtree fell to us it was a given we would take him. We didn't but maybe feels this way for Bryant?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect him to be drafted by SF. I think it could be a great fit.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 wr's in two years? They do need another good WR but..I have Spiller...

I believe they have two 1st rounders.

49ers are also my sleeper team this year. Playoffs this year seems like a strong possibility.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want the Pack to take Taylor Mays, but if Bryant is there, you at least have to consider it. Character issues do exist, but Dez Bryant is a freak athlete. Remember when Moss fell to the Queens with character issues and Cris Carter was there to mentor him and bring him along? I don't see a better fit with two class guys in Driver the old vet, and Jennings. Having our 3 wideouts be Jennings, Bryant, and Driver? that would be insane. All three can possibly draw a double team. Also, I agree Bryant could help in our return game.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If dez Bryant does fall to pick 23 then there's is no question that talent wise he's the BPA. HOWEVER this does not mean that TT will be jumping at the chance to draft him. He passed up on Crabtree last season, and I don't belive that bull about Raji being higher on the draft board than Crabtree. So of TT can control the thing in his pants to not draft a WR last season he will most certainlt be able to do so again.

Another point I'd like to make is to ask where exactly does bryant fit into the offense. i'm fine with him as a KR but in terms of offensive plays he'll have to be a no 2 or no 3 reciever. Teams don't take a WR in the first round to play in the no 2 or 3 spot, instead they do so because they believe that u can take over the no 1 spot in the future. With greg jennings signing to an extention I see no way of this happening to dez bryant in the next couple of years.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If dez Bryant does fall to pick 23 then there's is no question that talent wise he's the BPA. HOWEVER this does not mean that TT will be jumping at the chance to draft him. He passed up on Crabtree last season, and I don't belive that bull about Raji being higher on the draft board than Crabtree. So of TT can control the thing in his pants to not draft a WR last season he will most certainlt be able to do so again.

Another point I'd like to make is to ask where exactly does bryant fit into the offense. i'm fine with him as a KR but in terms of offensive plays he'll have to be a no 2 or no 3 reciever. Teams don't take a WR in the first round to play in the no 2 or 3 spot, instead they do so because they believe that u can take over the no 1 spot in the future. With greg jennings signing to an extention I see no way of this happening to dez bryant in the next couple of years.

No way TT goes for Bryant, he just passed up on Marshall. However Jery Jones will not pass him up in the first round, Jones has stated how much he regrets passing up on Moss for the same reasons.

The Packers may have some interest with their 23 over all pick with players like Bryant falling and Tim Tebow stock rising and the fact that the Redskins sign McNabb, thus causing another QB to drop, maybe like A-rod did.

There maybe some very interesting players available at the 23 pick that are not needed by the Pack, but may draw a big crowd.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if Dez Bryant is available at 23, he can't play OL, OLB, S, or CB. I would much rather fill a hole that is a major need. This is an extremely deep draft and there will be great talent in the 3rd if we really think we need an offensive weapon. TT will pick the BPA within our 4 top needs.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pure athletic freak. I don't really hope we get him, and don't see him lasting until we pick at 23, but I wouldnt be upset if he landed with us, you can never have too much talent..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5uPJGwscU]YouTube - Dez Bryant 2007-2008 Highlight Video[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pure athletic freak. I don't really hope we get him, and don't see him lasting until we pick at 23, but I wouldnt be upset if he landed with us, you can never have too much talent..
YouTube - Dez Bryant 2007-2008 Highlight Video
Bryant fastest time was a 4.52. He reportedly had drops in his pro day. he's 6'2, 224.

Randy Moss is a 6'4 210, that ran a FREAKISH 4.25!!!

It's not a fair or accurate comparison between him and Randy Moss. There are a lot of scouts that will say it's not a fair comparison between him and Crabtree, that he's not in the same league as Crabtree.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. Plus Driver is a good mentor as well.. And Woodson. We got a lot of smart players on and off the feild

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way TT goes for Bryant, he just passed up on Marshall. However Jery Jones will not pass him up in the first round, Jones has stated how much he regrets passing up on Moss for the same reasons.

The Packers may have some interest with their 23 over all pick with players like Bryant falling and Tim Tebow stock rising and the fact that the Redskins sign McNabb, thus causing another QB to drop, maybe like A-rod did.

There maybe some very interesting players available at the 23 pick that are not needed by the Pack, but may draw a big crowd.

I agree, this is what I'm seeing as well. Players like Jimmy Clausen, Bryan or even Derrick Morgan might take a free fall. These players could all be the incentives for TT's trade negotiations.

I don't care if Dez Bryant is available at 23, he can't play OL, OLB, S, or CB. I would much rather fill a hole that is a major need. This is an extremely deep draft and there will be great talent in the 3rd if we really think we need an offensive weapon. TT will pick the BPA within our 4 top needs.

Zoltan Mesko can do all of those trust me...

Bryant fastest time was a 4.52. He reportedly had drops in his pro day. he's 6'2, 224.

Randy Moss is a 6'4 210, that ran a FREAKISH 4.25!!!

It's not a fair or accurate comparison between him and Randy Moss. There are a lot of scouts that will say it's not a fair comparison between him and Crabtree, that he's not in the same league as Crabtree.

I've been watching Dez Bryant since his high school days and believe me this kid has talent. His route running is nearly flawless, his body control is amazing and his instincts are pure uncoachable. He's been like that ever since he was a kid coming out of Lufkin high school. Sure he's a bit immature but if you watch the tape I really think that he can be a Randy Moss or Larry Fitzgerald type reciever in the future.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching Dez Bryant since his high school days and believe me this kid has talent. His route running is nearly flawless, his body control is amazing and his instincts are pure uncoachable. He's been like that ever since he was a kid coming out of Lufkin high school. Sure he's a bit immature but if you watch the tape I really think that he can be a Randy Moss or Larry Fitzgerald type reciever in the future.
I'm not saying he's not good.

But he's no Randy Moss. He doesn't stretch defenses. He's an amazing possession receiver. But we already have that in Finley.

Guys like Julio Jones, A.J. Green and Michael Floyd are WAY better than him IMHO...

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Dez Bryant would be a great addition to our team, but there will be plenty of talent throughout the first 3 rounds. I personally would like to see us get Jordan Shipley from TX, or possibly Dez Briscoe in the 3rd round.
But like some people have said, we have much bigger needs than WR at this point. I would like to see our pick go to either; Taylor Mays, Mike Iupati, or maybe even Kyle Wilson/Devin McCourty(each of these guys could make an immediate impact in our coverage.
Also 2nd round, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up an OLB, if someone like Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle or someone who could make in impact on the opposite side of Matthews.

Mel-MinAlum

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My very first post.....I will preface this by saying I believe TT will trade the pick, and it wouldn't make me choke on my beer to see us go up, but my gut tells me he will likely try to go down and get more picks, just because this draft is so deep. That being said, if we do pick at #23 and Ryan Matthews is on the board I can't see TT passing him up, and I would be on cloud nine if we got him. Those speedy OLB's make sense to me too, but all these so called "experts" that keep saying we will take an OT, should look for another line of work. TT pretty much said today at his news conference that the top tier tackles are few and go early, and he "won't reach on player". I am also a subscriber to the Gainther trade theory, especially if we trade down and have some extra picks.
Nice to be on board. GO PACK GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts