Will we have a 2020 NFL Season?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amusing that you latch onto the element that supports your argument while ignoring the rest. :coffee:
What argument was I making? All I was saying is that if the death count went up with the increase in cases, there likely wouldn't be a season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What argument was I making? All I was saying is that if the death count went up with the increase in cases, there likely wouldn't be a season.

I'd agree that this is probably true. I don't think that's going to be the case though. New case demographics are pretty young.

As to the overall question of the thread, I'm currently leaning towards 'probably' with few or no fans. Really a guess at this point though. Sure hope so!

Anyone know, with current rules for accrued seasons, would a cancelled season mean our rookies from this recent draft would still be rookies next season?

H

HardRightEdge

I'm speaking of the unsupported statements you made in post #39, to wit:

"1) The virus is mutating to a less lethal version
2) The heat of the summer is somehow rendering it less deadly"

"Unsupported" is the kind way of putting it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Germany and Austria restarted their football leagues in mid-May as well as the beginning of June respectively and already finished the seasons without any issues. There are several other leagues going on at the moment with it currently working fine.

Of course you're right that the situation in the US is much more bleak at this point than in most parts of Europe.

Yup and I also think that "Football" aka Soccer, much like baseball, is probably a bit of a "safer" sport in regards to COVID transmission. American style Football has a lot more contact than either baseball or soccer.

One thing I can see them doing with the NFL this year is require full face shields. That probably won't be a popular thing with the players, but it might help a bit.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
positive cases per test are bound to go down

That is the number I keep a close eye on, along with hospitalization numbers. Right now in my area, its been trending upward way too much.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm speaking of the unsupported statements you made in post #39, to wit:

"1) The virus is mutating to a less lethal version
2) The heat of the summer is somehow rendering it less deadly"
Remembering that the death count lags behind:
I was saying that IF the death count does not rise to correlate with the recent number of new cases, then those were some possible reasons, some of which I considered unlikely . I listed three, you brought up another one I had failed to list. I was not trying to promote some agenda, or whatever it is you're thinking.

Reminds me of the old Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit:
There are TWO possible reasons for the low death count - mutating, heat, testing,
THREE! THREE possible reasons for the death count - mutating, heat, testing, youth,
FOUR! FOUR possible reasons for the low death count.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remembering that the death count lags behind:
I was saying that IF the death count does not rise to correlate with the recent number of new cases, then those were some possible reasons, some of which I considered unlikely . I listed three, you brought up another one I had failed to list. I was not trying to promote some agenda, or whatever it is you're thinking.

Reminds me of the old Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit:
There are TWO possible reasons for the low death count - mutating, heat, testing,
THREE! THREE possible reasons for the death count - mutating, heat, testing, youth,
FOUR! FOUR possible reasons for the low death count.

Doctors are also learning the best ways to deal with patients with severe symptoms which is lowering the morbidity. However, just focusing on death tolls is still ignoring the potentially major negative health impacts this illness can have.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doctors are also learning the best ways to deal with patients with severe symptoms which is lowering the morbidity.
FIVE! Five possible reasons for the low death count.

But I'm not going to count our chickens before they hatch. There's still time for the lagging death rate to rise.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess they are assuming a person can't catch it again either. Which I have no idea.
That has not been established as a certainty, nor has it been established that you cannot communicate it after 14 days after contracting it. Only recently has evidence emerged that asymptomatic carriers can communicate the disease.

The death count, buy the way, is not the key measure of societal impact. No matter how well improved treatments might be to improve survival, the larger and longer range impact may be in how many people have permanent vascular damage. Anybody admitted to a hospital, and ICUs in particular, are leading candidates. I don't believe it has even been established that an asymptomatic person is immune from that permanent damage.

The bottom line is that whenever there's "return to normal" without the constantly repeated prudent precautions the virus rips through the population like wildfire. "We must learn to live with it," is not sound advice.

This ain't a bad flu. It would be foolish to think 99% of people who test positive will suffer no affects as one public figure would have you believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Perhaps we'll see a season start. If I were a betting man, I'd say there'll be a blow up and it'll be shut down early.

Getting ***** young football players to be smart will be like getting 50 kittens to walk a straight line in a parade.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess they are assuming a person can't catch it again either. Which I have no idea.
We had better hope immunity lasts at least a year, or we are screwed.

Perhaps we'll see a season start. If I were a betting man, I'd say there'll be a blow up and it'll be shut down early.
I wouldn't bet against that scenario. They will probably start the season, but finishing it is another story.

H

HardRightEdge

Getting ***** young football players to be smart will be like getting 50 kittens to walk a straight line in a parade.
Yeah, it's kind of funny how "social distancing" has a euphemistic aspect. "Don't swap spit with strangers" would be an appropriate bit of advice. "But she didn't cough or sneeze on me!" :eek:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of funny how "social distancing" has a euphemistic aspect. "Don't swap spit with strangers" would be an appropriate bit of advice. "But she didn't cough or sneeze on me!" :eek:

Yup and then you have the new thing going on with the under 25's, "COVID-19 Parties". Lets have a party with known infected people and have a contest, first person to test positive wins the pot.

How fu**ing* pathetic is this group of people? Hard to imagine a season when you have this kind of mind set pushing things in the opposite direction.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

I think we just have to accept that golf course resorts and hotels might go bankrupt without covenent leniency from foreign lenders.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone know, with current rules for accrued seasons, would a cancelled season mean our rookies from this recent draft would still be rookies next season?

No, the CBA doesn't include any rules regulating what happens with player contracts in case the season is cancelled.

Yup and I also think that "Football" aka Soccer, much like baseball, is probably a bit of a "safer" sport in regards to COVID transmission. American style Football has a lot more contact than either baseball or soccer.

While that's true the strict testing should prevent players who have been infected with Covid-19 from getting on the field in the first place.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
No, the CBA doesn't include any rules regulating what happens with player contracts in case the season is cancelled.

So Dak Prescott signed his franchise tag and may not even have to play a single snap in 2020. Next year the Cowboys will have to pay even more in a year where the cap will drop substantially if no season is played. Poor Dallas :D

D

Deleted member 6794

So Dak Prescott signed his franchise tag and may not even have to play a single snap in 2020. Next year the Cowboys will have to pay even more in a year where the cap will drop substantially if no season is played. Poor Dallas :D

Just to be clear, at this point nobody knows what happens regarding player salaries if the season is cancelled. The league and players association would have to negotiate a solution if no games are played in 2020.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some teams are already giving refunds to 2020 season ticket holders. I guess that answers the question...that there will be no fans allowed int the stadium. Which brings up the most important question, will they be allowed to tailgate still?

H

HardRightEdge

Some teams are already giving refunds to 2020 season ticket holders. I guess that answers the question...that there will be no fans allowed int the stadium. Which brings up the most important question, will they be allowed to tailgate still?
The Packers have announced reduced attendance, not zero attendance, without specific numbers.

I would expect most teams to follow something like the Ravens announced plan: limiting ticket sales to 14,000, around 20% of the seats, to maintain social distancing. That's a baseline. A local spike with prohibitions against gatherings might take it to zero fans. I'm not seeing specific mention of skyboxes. Whether they handle big money behind tinted glass differently I can't say.

I fail to see the attraction of tailgating if you're not going to attend the game. Why not just barbeque in the back yard and retire to the big screen for the game unless you're in the parking lot to display some special rig or costume. Hitting on strange drunk girls should be off the menu. There are more things to catch from strangers these days. Regardless, I doubt rigs parked cheek to jowl as is normal will be allowed.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have announced reduced attendance, not zero attendance, without specific numbers.

I would expect most teams to follow something like the Ravens announced plan: limiting ticket sales to 14,000, around 20% of the seats, to maintain social distancing. That's a baseline. A local spike with prohibitions against gatherings might take it to zero fans. I'm not seeing specific mention of skyboxes. Whether they handle big money behind tinted glass differently I can't say.

I fail to see the attraction of tailgating if you're not going to attend the game. Why not just barbeque in the back yard and retire to the big screen for the game unless you're in the parking lot to display some special rig or costume. Hitting on strange drunk girls should be off the menu. There are more things to catch from strangers these days. Regardless, I doubt rigs parked cheek to jowl as is normal will be allowed.

Correction. I think the league is allowing each team to decide their own attendance.

Btw...many people tailgate and hang out in the lot the whole entire game and listen on the radio. It's the experience of it all. I wouldn't doubt many people just hang out in the lot and listen to the games on the radio, unless the Packers doesn't allow it. btw the guys could hear their fans supporting them.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A player tests clean before a game. After the game he tests positive for the virus ending in a permanently impaired cardiovascular system or death. He or his estate sues the team and the NFL for negligence.

All manner of businesses are seeking liability protections from the federal government as they reopen. Will game playing be so exempted?

You will not get to a point where a player has to sign a hold harmless agreement to play and get paid or opt to sit out and go unpaid.

There have been strike shortened seasons and the game survived. The NHL skipped a whole season in a contentious CBA battle. They survived.

It's a long way to September, or should we say August since some kind of training camp would be needed, however truncated. It's impossible to say since we're in the early innings of this pandemic, but right now it does not look good.

You are correct that the major hurdle is lawyers, liability & negligence. Unfortunately pretty much no matter what precautions are taken a good lawyer will still be able to make a strong argument for negligence so it seems highly unliy that any fans will be in the seats. However if the owners and the union can come to an agreement I believe there will be games played. Now will they finish the season, who knows, depends on how many players are testing positive. It'll be interesting to see what happens with MLB and the NBA.

Also the more testing done, the more positive tests that are gonna come up. So if you're testing guys everyday it's just a matter of time. Whether you believe 40% or 80% of cases are asymptomatic... no matter which is true that means theres a lot more people walking around with the virus that aren't accounted for and that will be with strict testing

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whether you believe 40% or 80% of cases are asymptomatic... no matter which is true that means theres a lot more people walking around with the virus that aren't accounted for and that will be with strict testing

Yup and unlike the common cold or even the flu, a player testing positive for COVID-19 won't be able to play for a predetermined period of time and/or steps completed, no matter how good he feels.

I don't even want to think about some of the ways around the testing and reporting that certain teams could find themselves in at any point of the season, especially the playoffs/Super Bowl...."COVIDGATE in New England"

Members online

Latest posts