Will we have a 2020 NFL Season?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Going to try this again. I understand the Mods closing it, due to it getting too political and controversial and I apologize for my part in that.

But again....I think a VERY worthwhile and current Football Topic, so lets try my April 3rd post again and please no politics or debates on the COVID19 crisis.

As the COVID-19 situation continues to unfold, the possibility of the NCAA and the NFL having to cancel their upcoming Football seasons grows larger each day. While I am not saying that this will happen and I would like to stay optimistic, I am curious how it would play out in regards to the NCAA, the NFL , Free Agency and the 2021 Draft.

I do think if the NCAA cancels, unless something epic changes after that, the NFL will almost have to follow in kind or risk looking like a greedy business that cares more about profit then the health of humans. I also don't think "playing games" without fans physically in the stadiums is an option either. The NCAA thought about that for basketball and then they realized that the players, game personnel and anyone else involved are still at risk. Further, by doing so, it totally flies in the face of what everyone else is being told to do, maintain social distancing.

So for argument sake, lets pretend the 2020 season is cancelled for everyone. My questions are:
  • Are any of the players paid their salaries including newly signed rookies?
  • If a players contract expires at the end of the 2020 season, will the cancelled season effect that or just like any year, they become a free agent next March? I assume yes.
  • With the NCAA cancelling, how will that effect eligibility of players? Would most get that season back? How does that effect the draft pool?
  • Would knowing that there wasn't going to be a 2020 season or a good possibility of it, change your approach to the upcoming draft?
Even if both the NFL and college programs are able to hold their seasons, when will they be able to start practicing again? How will the layoff effect injuries and play?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If we have a season with no fans in the stands and only players on the field, give me all the disagrees out there who would not watch! I’ll watch find something else if you don’t like it. Just be grateful! For a season, I got DTV and I pay for this wether some think it’s entertainment or not, it’s your choice, but as a fan I choose to watch.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I think at the end of the day it`s down to the players. Do they want to take the risk ? If they say yes, then go ahead. If 1st string players are not willing to play, maybe second and third string players get their chance, a bit like the strike season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL will risk the integrity of their business if there isn't a pretty safe way to have games, even if that is with or without fans approval or with or without fans in attendance. The fallout from having a player(s) die wouldn't age well in the short or long term outlook of the league. A lot has to happen between now and Sept. before it will be THAT safe IMO. The first big move will probably be at the NCAA level and if they shut it down, its going to be difficult for the NFL to justify keeping it open.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to try this again. I understand the Mods closing it, due to it getting too political and controversial and I apologize for my part in that.

But again....I think a VERY worthwhile and current Football Topic, so lets try my April 3rd post again and please no politics or debates on the COVID19 crisis.

As the COVID-19 situation continues to unfold, the possibility of the NCAA and the NFL having to cancel their upcoming Football seasons grows larger each day. While I am not saying that this will happen and I would like to stay optimistic, I am curious how it would play out in regards to the NCAA, the NFL , Free Agency and the 2021 Draft.

I do think if the NCAA cancels, unless something epic changes after that, the NFL will almost have to follow in kind or risk looking like a greedy business that cares more about profit then the health of humans. I also don't think "playing games" without fans physically in the stadiums is an option either. The NCAA thought about that for basketball and then they realized that the players, game personnel and anyone else involved are still at risk. Further, by doing so, it totally flies in the face of what everyone else is being told to do, maintain social distancing.

So for argument sake, lets pretend the 2020 season is cancelled for everyone. My questions are:
  • Are any of the players paid their salaries including newly signed rookies?
  • If a players contract expires at the end of the 2020 season, will the cancelled season effect that or just like any year, they become a free agent next March? I assume yes.
  • With the NCAA cancelling, how will that effect eligibility of players? Would most get that season back? How does that effect the draft pool?
  • Would knowing that there wasn't going to be a 2020 season or a good possibility of it, change your approach to the upcoming draft?
Even if both the NFL and college programs are able to hold their seasons, when will they be able to start practicing again? How will the layoff effect injuries and play?

My guess is yes, although it may not look the same. Not unlike the 2020 NFL draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

I think at the end of the day it`s down to the players. Do they want to take the risk ? If they say yes, then go ahead. If 1st string players are not willing to play, maybe second and third string players get their chance, a bit like the strike season.
A player tests clean before a game. After the game he tests positive for the virus ending in a permanently impaired cardiovascular system or death. He or his estate sues the team and the NFL for negligence.

All manner of businesses are seeking liability protections from the federal government as they reopen. Will game playing be so exempted?

You will not get to a point where a player has to sign a hold harmless agreement to play and get paid or opt to sit out and go unpaid.

There have been strike shortened seasons and the game survived. The NHL skipped a whole season in a contentious CBA battle. They survived.

It's a long way to September, or should we say August since some kind of training camp would be needed, however truncated. It's impossible to say since we're in the early innings of this pandemic, but right now it does not look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

A player tests clean before a game. After the game he tests positive for the virus ending in a permanently impaired cardiovascular system or dies. He or his estate sues the team and the NFL for negligence.

All manner of businesses are seeking liability protections from the federal government as they reopen. Will game playing be so exempted?

You will not get to a point where a player has to sign a hold harmless agreement to play and get paid or opt to sit out and go unpaid.

There have been strike shortened seasons and the game survived. The NHL skipped a whole season in a contentious CBA battle. They survived.

It's a long way to September, or should we say August since some kind of training camp would be needed, however truncated. It's impossible to say since we're in the early innings of this pandemic, but right now it does not look good.

Oh I certainly am not advocating doing it,it was just running as an option. At the end of the day it`s just a sport.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A player tests clean before a game. After the game he tests positive for the virus ending in a permanently impaired cardiovascular system or dies. He or his estate sues the team and the NFL for negligence.

Agree. I sure wouldn't want to be THAT "official" that made the statement for the NFL of "Despite COVID19 still not under full control, no vaccines and no therapeutic drugs existing, we feel that with proper testing, we unlike the Meat packing plants and the White House back in May, will be able to keep everyone safe."

However, like you said, its a few months out before eventual practices and games would take place and things can change between now and then. I doubt that change will just be a bunch of teams and players saying "F It, I will run the risk", let's play football."

As for the fans....I did some shopping online, for $1088, I am ready to attend games now! I wonder if they could play football wearing these too? :unsure:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The season will open now, and some people are ramping on fans no being in the stands, everyone knows that unless your at the game, the atmosphere in a stadium is sereal and quite unbelievable, but! When your watching at home on your tv or computer the only thing your are focused on are the players, and officials, with out the background noise of people in the stands, and somewhat annoying commercials, what would be the difference in watching the players only, I’ll have noise from the fans at home yelling so bring on the football the season or 1/2 season will be ok...

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I sure wouldn't want to be THAT "official" that made the statement for the NFL of "Despite COVID19 still not under full control, no vaccines and no therapeutic drugs existing, we feel that with proper testing, we unlike the Meat packing plants and the White House back in May, will be able to keep everyone safe."

However, like you said, its a few months out before eventual practices and games would take place and things can change between now and then. I doubt that change will just be a bunch of teams and players saying "F It, I will run the risk", let's play football."

As for the fans....I did some shopping online, for $1088, I am ready to attend games now! I wonder if they could play football wearing these too? :unsure:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The yellow is too dark and the green is only on the shoes. I think maybe stripes? And I don’t see any G’s on the helmet.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know if it has been commented on already in these pages but the NFL has just cancelled the 1st. and 4th. preseason games, as well as the HOF game previously announced. They're probably already down to a one week training camp as in at least one of the strike shortened years. It should be pretty obvious by now that social distancing is essential to prevent contagion. I would put 50/50 odds on this season being a TV-only spectacle, with a strong possibility it will not start on time. If fans are in attendence, spread out or not, expect signatures required on a hold harmless agreement.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With MLB, NHL and the NBA really struggling to figure out how to continue/start their seasons, I'm not too optimistic that the NFL is going to start on time or even have a 2020 season. While the safety of the players, fans and all involved is being publicly discussed, I am pretty sure that the driving force behind decisions, will be revenue streams and making sure not to damage or tarnish their brand. Like other business, they would be poised to lose a ton of money if they had to cancel the 2020 season, but imagine if they moved forward with it and deaths of players, fans, etc. were directly tied to it. I think that ultimately would be far more damaging, than that of a lost season, especially if they were the only major sport to open its doors back up.

If the NBA and MLB can start back up and its considered a success, that will allow the NFL to try the same. However, if neither of them go through with various plans or they do and problems arise, I can't see how the NFL will risk having a season, especially with the Fall being predicted as being worse when it comes to Covid and the Flu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts