Will Special Teams Be Special ?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Special teams are an important part of the game. I confess that I wish I knew more about the Packer's Special Teams. Who was or will be the Gunner ? Will Cobb be returning punts and kicks this year ? Who will the long snapper be ? Who Coaches the Special Teams ? Who will hold for Mason Crosby ? I started this thread to learn, understand, and enjoy the season more. Please fill this thread with your knowledge and opinions !
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams are an important part of the game. I confess that I wish I knew more about the Packer's Special Teams. Who was or will be the Gunner ? Will Cobb be returning punts and kicks this year ? Who will the long snapper be ? Who Coaches the Special Teams ? Who will hold for Mason Crosby ? I started this thread to learn, understand, and enjoy the season more. Please fill this thread with your knowledge and opinions !

Bold 1: Jarrett Bush #24 is our special teams captian and gunner on PRs and KRs. Pat Lee was another imoportant outside special teams player for us last year.

Bold 2: Yes and Yes, I am from the camp that believes he will make the most impact on this team this year as a Special teams guy. I still think the WR scene is still too crowded for him to really step in and be an impact player.

Bold 3: Shawn Slocum, he has been a character in the last few seasons in GB and has been the scapegoat for the lackluster performance we have gotten out of both the return and kicking sides of the special teams up until last year. We brought in a few rookies that could play some good special teams ball like Ryan Taylor and Randall Cobb and the young talent brought him out of the hot seat last season. We should be still looking for improvement out of these units this year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One other thing to note, we have a great young punter in Mastay. Didn't Flynn hold for Crosby last year? May be a different guy doing that job if he was.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Long snapper is Brett Goode. Tim Masthay the punter holds on field goals.
I along with some others here wanted to see Slocum replaced but with special teams improving so much last season that's unlikely. With Cobb the "special" is back in special teams. There is talk that WR Tori Gurley has a knack for blocking punts too. Would love to see one or two of those this year.
No reason to expect less out of these units.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long snapper is Brett Goode. Tim Masthay the punter holds on field goals.
I along with some others here wanted to see Slocum replaced but with special teams improving so much last season that's unlikely. With Cobb the "special" is back in special teams. There is talk that WR Tori Gurley has a knack for blocking punts too. Would love to see one or two of those this year.
No reason to expect less out of these units.
Agree and thanks for clarification on who holds for Crosby.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Not sure what the confusion is about who does what on OP favorite team of all time.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez it wasn't that long ago that the Special Teams were downright terrible. Dave Rayner kicking, Jeremy Kapinos punting, and Woodson was returning punts!!

I feel like the Special Teams are great now. Crosby is talented, Masthay is phenomenal, Cobb has loads of promise, and Bush is a perfect special teamer. Should be a good unit this year!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez it wasn't that long ago that the Special Teams were downright terrible. Dave Rayner kicking, Jeremy Kapinos punting, and Woodson was returning punts!!

I feel like the Special Teams are great now. Crosby is talented, Masthay is phenomenal, Cobb has loads of promise, and Bush is a perfect special teamer. Should be a good unit this year!

Talent overcomes coaching. :)

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gurley or Borel on Sp.Teams this yr from time to time. I know they're WR but Cobb started on S.T & will be on there a few times again this yr

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gurley or Borel on Sp.Teams this yr from time to time.
We'll see. If Cobb becomes a major factor in the offense (as high as #3 WR), then the coaches might want him to stop doing as much on Special Teams. And I know that Gurley has a reputation for blocking punts right?

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Talent overcomes coaching. :)

Is there a problem with the Coach ? Will tackling or speed be stressed more ? What about down field blocking ? Oh ya, penalties, we can't forget those. Have fundamentals been high enough on the priority list ? Who makes the good hands team ? :coffee:

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Bold 1: Jarrett Bush #24 is our special teams captian and gunner on PRs and KRs. Pat Lee was another imoportant outside special teams player for us last year.

Bold 2: Yes and Yes, I am from the camp that believes he will make the most impact on this team this year as a Special teams guy. I still think the WR scene is still too crowded for him to really step in and be an impact player.

Bold 3: Shawn Slocum, he has been a character in the last few seasons in GB and has been the scapegoat for the lackluster performance we have gotten out of both the return and kicking sides of the special teams up until last year. We brought in a few rookies that could play some good special teams ball like Ryan Taylor and Randall Cobb and the young talent brought him out of the hot seat last season. We should be still looking for improvement out of these units this year.

Insightful, Informative, have a cigar! I have a friend in power in Havana.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see. If Cobb becomes a major factor in the offense (as high as #3 WR), then the coaches might want him to stop doing as much on Special Teams. And I know that Gurley has a reputation for blocking punts right?
Like to see Gurley out there on ST. Been a while since we did block a punt. We actually did get a piece of Tynes first half FG attempt in January.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Grab, grab, grab, can anybody tackle anymore ! Remember Tackling ! Bump & Hope ain't getting it done ! Can we get some special in Special Teams !!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Special I confess that I wish I knew more about the Packer's Special Teams. Who was or will be the Gunner ? Will Cobb be returning punts and kicks this year ? Who will the long snapper be ? Who Coaches the Special Teams ? Who will hold for Mason Crosby ? I started this thread to learn, understand, and enjoy the season more. Please fill this thread with your knowledge and opinions !
- - -
Is there a problem with the Coach ? Will tackling or speed be stressed more ? What about down field blocking ? Oh ya, penalties, we can't forget those. Have fundamentals been high enough on the priority list ? Who makes the good hands team ?
Just curious, which NFL team do you follow? ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrel Manning could be a special teams STUD! Has all the tools, and body style.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
TACKLING, we need better TACKLING !!!
So you've said. Tackling isn't just a special teams issue, and you don't really tackle on returns (also a part of special teams) I got one for ya:

"Tackling, definitely better tackling. And the blocking, definitely the blocking too... we need a running game."