Wild card studs n Duds

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud's, the whole team for not making me reegret staying up late as has happened for a few playoff games.

I don't really pick out individuals for the most part, and last night was a great team performance, eventually

But clay on the forced fumble recovery was a huge play, I said in the chatbix last night, when the balls dead, the brains dead

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Blake is definitely still learning but I see a lot of potential in him. Good rookie season. Joe Thomas also has been playing A LOT better this year, as well. Remember when this was the biggest concern for our defense? Good times.
Thomas???? How can that be? We were told in August that there was no way we could win with guys like him on the field.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Cobb. Man, did he turn it on at the right time.
Adams. He's the complete package.
Cook. If he'd been available during the four game losing streak it wouldn't have been a four game losing streak.
O-line. The sacks were basically on Rodgers for holding the ball too long.
Monty. Does everything asked of him.
Clay. Playing until the whistle was huge, huge, huge.
Ryan. The kid can play.
Peppers. Gets that big hand up for deflections at crucial times.
Ripkowski. Always powers forward.
Hyde. Not the fastest DB but he looked good in this game and is a sure-handed PR.

Defense in general after the first few drives. Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine they'd be able to lock down all the Giants receivers. Of course, they got some help from drops and errors.

A. Rodgers after the first 20 minutes. That Hail Mary was jaw dropping. 65 yards in the air and dropped it in a bucket. Tom Brady may have more Superbowl rings, but I don't think he can do what Rodgers did last night.

Duds:
Game plan in the first 20 minutes. I kept shaking my head. Where were the quick slants, the roll outs, the WCO fundamentals? Not sure how much blame to put on Rodgers versus McCarthy.

OBJ. Didn't quite live up to the hype. Which is fine with me.

Refs, for not throwing the flag on the obvious helmet-first attack on Jordy's ribs. The rule is not complicated. You can't lead with the crown of your helmet. Very dangerous for both players involved. It happens way too often and needs to be stopped before somebody gets paralyzed or killed. The league really needs to get serious about it. Suspensions, larger fines.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Refs, for not throwing the flag on the obvious helmet-first attack on Jordy's ribs. The rule is not complicated. You can't lead with the crown of your helmet. Very dangerous for both players involved. It happens way too often and needs to be stopped before somebody gets paralyzed or killed. The league really needs to get serious about it. Suspensions, larger fines.

This is where I really like what they have done in College Football, being able to automatically review targeting calls. Had the people in the box reviewed that play, a penalty would have been called. I'm a bit iffy on it being an automatic ejection, as it is in college, but for sure a 15 yard penalty should result.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
In case Giants fans would like to bring up the "NYPD"....

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I`m getting this off my chest, I DON`T CARE. How come, and we don`t actually KNOW what happens, do people call McCarthy everything under the sun for his bad play calling when it`s going wrong, but praise the QB to high heavens when it clicks ???. My point is who EXACTLY is calling the plays here ?
The game last night, point in fact. That 4th down call was unbelievably bad because it failed, but if it had worked, then probably would have been down to Rodgers genius. Aaron frustrates the hell out of me at times because he holds the ball so long, and if it doesn`t happen right, it`s down to the receivers not getting separation, or the line not holding long enough, or the pocket collapsing. When it works, it`s a thing of beauty, but not enough credit goes to the others involved in it, and he needs to stop trying to create what isn`t there. I`d sooner take 10 to 15 yard gains successfully rather than 40 or 50 yard gains 60% of the time.
Rodgers said that he played "bad" in the 1st half, and McCarthy acknowledged in his post game presser that he called a bad game in the 1st quarter. I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially said "I need to do a better job of getting Aaron some more basic throws early in the game so that we can get into a rhythm quicker".

So Rodgers played bad, without question. And he was holding the ball too long at times (which he also acknowledged after the game, he called it "******** around"), but as we got some more quick hitting/rhythmic throws going, our offense started clicking.

I would say that Rodgers and McCarthy share blame for how the game started.

Either way, it was inexcusable, and hopefully something we can learn from going into Dallas.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers got the ball down 6-0 with 3:45 left in the 2nd. With 2:43 left in the game they scored their 38th point. In 31 minutes they scored 38 points against what was considered a top 3 defense. They had 8 drives over that time with 5 tds and a fg.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers - Hail Mary should be just added to the playbook :)
Cobb - Welcome Back Randall
Special Teams - Good returns & coverage. Schum best game of the year
Clay - only made 1 play but it was huge
OL - Great pass blocking. Meh run blocking
Michaels - The guy has a great burst & runs angry. Give him the ball

Duds:
First 1-3/4 quarters offense - Looked like the 4-6 Packers were back
MM - like that you went for it on 4th down at our own 40, but the play call was horrible. Didn't like giving it to a back who is in the deep "I" and hoping he'll get there & why bring in an extra lineman and then run the opposite way?
Refs - missed the penalty on the spear of Jordy & the blatant face masking.

D

Deleted member 6794

What? The secondary was stellar except for about five plays

I still don't trust the secondary to perform on a decent level once the defense has to load the box to defend the run, something that most likely will be necessary against the Cowboys on Sunday. Giants receivers were able to get wide open behind Packers cornerbacks on several occasions but fortunately didn't capitalize on it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that Cook most likely had the best drop of the season on the second to last play in the first half as there's no way the Packers get another play off if he catches that one.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys calling the refs a dud for the missed call on Jordy get over it. It's football. I'm more upset that a hit like that is supposed to be a penalty.

And before the "well no matter what it was a missed call" crowd shows up we should've gotten a 15 yard personal foul when Peppers jumped across the line after NY called a TO and started acting like a moron.

Missed calls happen. The refs were fine

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great game. There were definitely reasons for people to be upset at the first half of the game. Winning cures all though.

**EDIT**
....or not

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud = Cook. If he didn't drop that pass at the end of the 2nd quarter the clock would have expired and there would have been no Hail Mary. One might say his drop was the play of the game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud = Cook. If he didn't drop that pass at the end of the 2nd quarter the clock would have expired and there would have been no Hail Mary. One might say his drop was the play of the game.

I told my brother the exact same thing. That was the best drop of the season by far! Perfect timing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you consider the entirety of the game, Rodgers, Cobb, Adams, Peppers, and Schum all get studs.

The one and only dud was the 4th and inches call. MM is very lucky that the momentum shift was only temporary, because if they has gone on to lose, that would be the focal discussion today.

If you are going to go for a 4th and inches call at your own 40 in a 14-6 game with your D playing well, you better be damn sure you have a perfect play call for the situation.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it you feel the need to berate the players and staff with impunity for doing things you think are stupid, yet don't feel you can be called out for doing the same? There's a difference between not liking a play call, and calling for MM's job whenever one doesn't work.

I assume this wasn't actually directed at me. I was in Shout for like 1 minute of the game and I don't think I've ever on this forum "berated the players and staff" for anything. Ever.

But yeah... let's just get back on topic.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that Cook most likely had the best drop of the season on the second to last play in the first half as there's no way the Packers get another play off if he catches that one.

Thought the same and when it happened, I thought the Packers had a timeout, which they didn't. Really a boneheaded throw to Cook in that situation, only positive thing (besides drop and proceeding hail mary) that can come from it is a pass interference call. I think that whole sequence of plays right before the half was the major turning point of the game. Packers went into that locker room 8 points up and offensive confidence restored.

Despite Cooks fortuitous drop, he has got to be high priority to resign!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hardly heard his name today, which is good for a corner.

Looked like Haha was supposed to help on the deep TD.

After watching the replay you're 100% correct, in fact it would seem that single high safety was the call and that Randall was lined up to funnel his man towards the middle of the field towards the safety... who wasn't there.

So I change my earlier assessment, Randall played a good complete game.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys calling the refs a dud for the missed call on Jordy get over it. It's football. I'm more upset that a hit like that is supposed to be a penalty.

And before the "well no matter what it was a missed call" crowd shows up we should've gotten a 15 yard personal foul when Peppers jumped across the line after NY called a TO and started acting like a moron.

The refs did miss the call on Jordy though and his injury shows exactly why it is a penalty. Also leading with your head can cause yourself injury as well. Just bc you don't like the rule doesn't mean it wasn't a blown call.

Why should have peppers been flagged? I did t have the volume on but it didn't seem like a 15 yard penalty

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
After watching the replay you're 100% correct, in fact it would seem that single high safety was the call and that Randall was lined up to funnel his man towards the middle of the field towards the safety... who wasn't there.

So I change my earlier assessment, Randall played a good complete game.

Yes, the announcer even pointed out how Randall had "outside contain" and was expecting safety support over top. Butm, Haha bit on the underneath crossing route.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C. Michael for me was the biggest stud. I think he was the difference maker for sure. As soon as he started to see the field the offense started to move the ball.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the announcer even pointed out how Randall had "outside contain" and was expecting safety support over top. Butm, Haha bit on the underneath crossing route.

Yeah I walked out of the room for a bit right after the play hence the late correction. All in all he did play well, I feel a lot better of our continuing chances if he keeps playing like that.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It should have been flagged. There will be a fine, I'm sure. The rules need to mandate suspension for hits like that.

From the NFL rulebook:

Article 7. Players in a Defenseless Posture

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

1. Players in a defenseless posture are:
    1. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture)
    2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

Article 8. Initiating Contact with the Crown of the Helmet

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs did miss the call on Jordy though and his injury shows exactly why it is a penalty. Also leading with your head can cause yourself injury as well. Just bc you don't like the rule doesn't mean it wasn't a blown call.

Why should have peppers been flagged? I did t have the volume on but it didn't seem like a 15 yard penalty

Yes. By the rules it should've been a flag. Doesn't mean I gotta like the rule.

And Peppers pulling that after a timeout was called should've absolutely been unsportsmanlike conduct.

Point is calls get missed on both sides. Get over it.

Members online

Latest posts