Why no Starks?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Kind of hard to have a 1-2 punch when the second punch stands on the sideline all game. And, to add to the insult, Starks has been having a better season thus far, IMO.

Why?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of hard to have a 1-2 punch when the second punch stands on the sideline all game. And, to add to the insult, Starks has been having a better season thus far, IMO.

Why?
Very legit question. Have to believe MM will be asked.

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or why not throw a fullback in there sometimes and have a lead blocker instead of running that stupid pitch sweep to the outside, which never works. At least that'll add someone else to the hole to try and open one instead of having Lacy tiptoe his way in there. There are some things about this running game that I just don't quite understand.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Or why not throw a fullback in there sometimes and have a lead blocker instead of running that stupid pitch sweep to the outside, which never works. At least that'll add someone else to the hole to try and open one instead of having Lacy tiptoe his way in there. There are some things about this running game that I just don't quite understand.

The only thing I can think of is he throws it one of these times. ( if he gets time...lol)

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very legit question. Have to believe MM will be asked.
And he will say something like: I really wanted to get him in there but schematically the opportunity never presented itself. Or: Lacy was running with good pad level and I wanted to keep him in that groove.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the reason could be due to the no huddle and therefore lack of substitutions. If a whole scoring drive within one quarter is done without a huddle, the same RB will be in the whole time.
Good point. You would think that MM would start a series with with either Starks or Harris.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it why we are having a lousy running season this year when we had a great one last year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. You would think that MM would start a series with with either Starks or Harris.
I recall they usually did this season. Lacy gets a series or two then Starks gets one with Harris in spot duty. I think the Bears had such time consuming drives that Lacy had time to catch his breath and was never tired to start a drive.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I don't get it why we are having a lousy running season this year when we had a great one last year.
At first I was wondering about that too. Then I felt that we seem to be forcing the run and well the teams we have been going against are known for the defense, Seattle, Jets, Detroit, Chicago, if I think of them its defense. That and well you run more when you have the lead and the Packers haven't had the lead much.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall they usually did this season. Lacy gets a series or two then Starks gets one with Harris in spot duty. I think the Bears had such time consuming drives that Lacy had time to catch his breath and was never tired to start a drive.
Likely a good explanation. Might have been interesting to what Starks may have done. Definitely would have kept him motivated.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At first I was wondering about that too. Then I felt that we seem to be forcing the run and well the teams we have been going against are known for the defense, Seattle, Jets, Detroit, Chicago, if I think of them its defense. That and well you run more when you have the lead and the Packers haven't had the lead much.
Chicago isnt known for their def, but I agree on others.

I did not expect great games vs Det or Seattle

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

Especially since we have deep threat of the pass. We leaned on our running game to hobble us through the latter half of the season last season. Presumably with Aaron back, having both Eddie's legs and Aaron's arm would create a dangerously great combination, and yet... unproductive on the ground. It's like MM can't multi-task, he only can focus on making one dimension strong and can't create a positive interaction between the two.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They cant run because there mostly lining up out of the "three receiver set" in "hurry up offense" and not changing formations or personnel too much during drives. That and the the "running plays" there running out of it suck and don't benefit the "make up" of our offensive line or Lacy's talents. Sometimes to gain an advantage somewhere you lose an advantage somewhere else.

IMO Starks is better suited for the way there running the offense as far as running the ball but like others have posted he isn't as good a pass blocker and then the substitution thing. In fact, Dejuan Harris might be better suited with the way MM has this offense set up.

Last year Flynn or Tolzien were in there so we loaded up more with blockers in the box and pounded Lacy. It was more true "smash mouth".

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Especially since we have deep threat of the pass. We leaned on our running game to hobble us through the latter half of the season last season. Presumably with Aaron back, having both Eddie's legs and Aaron's arm would create a dangerously great combination, and yet... unproductive on the ground. It's like MM can't multi-task, he only can focus on making one dimension strong and can't create a positive interaction between the two.
I really think they got it right with Air-Run throwing on more first and second downs than he ever did in any of the previous 3 games. It looks like they finally learned as I was bringing up here on the forum to stop running since the run is getting stopped on 1st and 2nd downs so much.
I just hope they see that this has worked and stick with it. Air-Run is the best and he is really awesome when he throws.
That TD that got called back was a bummer because that was a thing of beauty.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They could possibly be trying to save Starks for the playoffs/end of the season due to his injury history.
I also think they are trying to get Lacy back on track after his injury. It's a long season, Starks will eventually get some opportunities.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I really think they got it right with Air-Run throwing on more first and second downs than he ever did in any of the previous 3 games. It looks like they finally learned as I was bringing up here on the forum to stop running since the run is getting stopped on 1st and 2nd downs so much.
I just hope they see that this has worked and stick with it. Air-Run is the best and he is really awesome when he throws.
That TD that got called back was a bummer because that was a thing of beauty.

Yup, the new era in football: throw the ball to set up the run.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM said today that there shouldn't be any game where Starks does not touch the fb. I think that the coach got the memo this week! ;)

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Chicago isnt known for their def, but I agree on others.

I did not expect great games vs Det or Seattle
You're right they are known for their Cutlers turnoverrs.

Yeah my mind may of been a little dated, always think Bears D, Packers O.

OP
OP
PFanCan

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
MM said today that there shouldn't be any game where Starks does not touch the fb. I think that the coach got the memo this week! ;)

Good to see that he is reading this board for ideas on how to improve.

Hey, Mike. Whassup?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't make any difference who the running back is if we let Minnesota control the ball for 36-40 minutes and run up 30 first downs.

Latest posts