Why Malachi Dupre fell

H

HardRightEdge

The OP posted an article literally implying he was an entitled young 5-star HS athlete?
I mentioned this before but I guess I'll mention it again. The scout quoted in the OP said:

"To be clear, there are red flags in his makeup as a prospect, but not the guy as a person."

In other words, he's an OK kid who's been consistently over-projected as a football player coming out of HS and among non-GMs doing mock drafts. Sometimes guys look like a football player, quack like a football player, and make a splash play here or there like a football player, but then it just doesn't translate to 60 productive minutes on Saturday.

I guess the Packers recon they'll take a flyer on the athlete and hope they can flip on the football player light switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

He played in an offense that was truly pro-style which featured (and really FEATURED) Leonard Fournette. His opportunities were really limited in college.

While LSU runs a pro-style offense on paper they aren't any good at it. I agree Dupre's opportunities were limited as their passing game struggled for most of his time in Baton Rouge.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned this before but I guess I'll mention it again. The scout quoted in the OP said:

"To be clear, there are red flags in his makeup as a prospect, but not the guy as a person."

In other words, he's an OK kid who's been consistently over-projected as a football player coming out of HS and among non-GMs doing mock drafts. Sometimes guys look like a football player, quack like a football player, and make a splash play here or there like a football player, but then it just doesn't translate to 60 productive minutes on Saturday.

I guess the Packers recon they'll take a flyer on the athlete and hope they can flip on the football player light switch.
32 teams felt they had better options on their board and passed him over for 6 rounds. I'd be rather surprised to see him on the final 53 man roster. I'd guess he's behind Janis and Davis in terms of development at this point. Looks like a practice squad candidate to me. I think Yancey is much more likely to survive the final roster cutdowns.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is funny because I know a guy who says Dupre is dating his sister (confirmed btw) He says he's a cocky entitled type of dude. Hope it doesn't effect his play or locker room.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is funny because I know a guy who says Dupre is dating his sister (confirmed btw) He says he's a cocky entitled type of dude. Hope it doesn't effect his play or locker room.
He's in the men's league now. Kiddie ball is over. He better make the necessary adjustments because it's not his show anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I don't mind some confidence in a player, even a little bit of cockiness, as long as he can back it up with his play. The difference between Dupre making it at LSU and in Green Bay is pretty obvious, there will be 11 or so other guys with just as much or more talent competing for 5-7 roster spots in Green Bay. Dupre is going to have to earn everything he gets and being a 5 Star Recruit out of HS won't get him squadoosh in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

32 teams felt they had better options on their board and passed him over for 6 rounds. I'd be rather surprised to see him on the final 53 man roster. I'd guess he's behind Janis and Davis in terms of development at this point. Looks like a practice squad candidate to me. I think Yancey is much more likely to survive the final roster cutdowns.

I guess that assumption is solely based on Yancey being drafted ahead of Dupre.

Reaction score
From what we're reading as of late, he has already been one of the more impressive players early on. Malachi's decision to enter the draft a bit prematurely was due in large part to him feeling like (and apparently being told by NFL level personnel) that he would be gone by the end of the second day. Don't let his being picked last fool ya.
I think he has a very good chance to compete for a roster spot and knocking someone off the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The definitions of "football I.Q. ought to be entertaining. Hopefully, some posters will weigh-in on this.

Well there's a difference between coming from a Prep system where the schemes are more sophisticated than most colleges and then going to a borderline Semi-Pro school and a DII/DIII player who basically learned a lot of stuff for the first time after coming into the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well there's a difference between coming from a Prep system where the schemes are more sophisticated than most colleges and then going to a borderline Semi-Pro school and a DII/DIII player who basically learned a lot of stuff for the first time after coming into the league.

There are smart players from division II or III capable of learning an NFL playbook though. Obviously Janis isn't one of them.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are smart players from division II or III capable of learning an NFL playbook though. Obviously Janis isn't one of them.

True but the knock on Division 2 and 3 flyers is that you never know if they'll develop fast enough. I dont think its an issue of knowledge or intelligence but of doing. Some people learn how to do something and then can execute without thinking about it, Janis might be one of those guys who just cant turn his brain off. But he seems to perform better in game situations than practice situations, could be that the added stress forces him not to think.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True but the knock on Division 2 and 3 flyers is that you never know if they'll develop fast enough. I dont think its an issue of knowledge or intelligence but of doing. Some people learn how to do something and then can execute without thinking about it, Janis might be one of those guys who just cant turn his brain off. But he seems to perform better in game situations than practice situations, could be that the added stress forces him not to think.

I'm not so sure I would conclude that Janis works better in games situations. While I don't have game logs, he has made some glaring mistakes during games. I think the coaches have a pretty good understanding of his capabilities under whatever conditions. If he truly was a "gamer", I think we would be seeing a lot more of him on the field during a game and not just when due to injuries, the Packers are basically forced into playing him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw episode of hard knocks or something similar last night on LA Rams last season. Goff didnt know sun rose in the east and set in the west. Acted like it was an epiphany. Montage of him asking other players if they knew, looking for an opportunity to share his new found knowledge.

Not sure how you get a 4. I believe it is multiple choice as well as some true false. Just guessing without even reading the questions should get you around a 15.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saw episode of hard knocks or something similar last night on LA Rams last season. Goff didnt know sun rose in the east and set in the west. Acted like it was an epiphany. Montage of him asking other players if they knew, looking for an opportunity to share his new found knowledge.

Not sure how you get a 4. I believe it is multiple choice as well as some true false. Just guessing without even reading the questions should get you around a 15.

I guess that sunrise, sunset question must have not been on the Wonderlic exam, Goff scored a pretty decent 36. Aaron Rodgers, for comparison, scored a 35.

Although, if Goff was from Venus, I could see how he was confused. :coffee:

Also, doesn't the sun only rise and set in Green Bay ;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that sunrise, sunset question must have not been on the Wonderlic exam, Goff scored a pretty decent 36. Aaron Rodgers, for comparison, scored a 35.
Wow. I hadnt looked. I would have bet he was on par with your average turnip but ahead of most rutabaga.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wow. I hadnt looked. I would have bet he was on par with your average turnip but ahead of most rutabaga.

That surprised me as well, as do many names on the list and their scores being higher or lower than expected. I haven't read much on the wonderlic and how it translates to how good a football player ends up doing in the NFL, but there are a few successful players on that low end score and guys who score high, don't always play great football, so I wouldn't say it is completely conclusive.

D

Deleted member 6794

True but the knock on Division 2 and 3 flyers is that you never know if they'll develop fast enough. I dont think its an issue of knowledge or intelligence but of doing.

I agree that it has nothing to do with intelligence or general knowledge but having football IQ, knowing how to fully grasp a playbook and adjusting to defensive schemes help tremendously.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Wow, I'm embarassed for Goff and his parents. He's from the SF Bay area. That explains a lot.:rolleyes:

H

HardRightEdge

Wow, I'm embarassed for Goff and his parents. He's from the SF Bay area. That explains a lot.:rolleyes:
There are Wonderlic tests you can take on line. They run 50 questions. They resemble IQ tests. The toughest part is getting done in the allotted 15 minutes. Most of the questions are multiple choice with 3, 4 or 5 possible answers; a few are fill in the blank where you have to come up with the answer unprompted.

There's no penalty for getting an answer wrong.

So yeah, if you skipped the fill-in-the-blanks and answered all of the multiple choice questions with random answers, you should get around a 10. To score a 4 you'd have to be functionally illiterate or so stupid or both as to not understand how the test is scored and thereby couldn't even get around to putting down random answers.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Malachi, you have a chance to catch passes from AR12 if you show up and ball out. End of story. Oh yeah, you can also make piles of money.

If that's not enough to get him to kick it into gear, good riddance. I'm sure pulling for him and he appears to have everything you'd want in a NFL WR. Let's see what the kid does with the opportunity...

Members online

Latest posts