Why Does Mccarthy Take His Foot Of The Gas?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to be a negative nancy, but he's still doing it. I know we won and all, but i'm worried it might cost us some important games in the future. We have the talent, lets make them stop us. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind this? I fully understand running out the clock, but for most of the second half? This is why I love Belichick... he makes teams stop the Patriots and their fans hardly have to worry when they know the team has the opposing defense's number. Again, i'm not trying to be a downer, I just don't understand this concept.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going in lazy and posting what I've already posted in another site:

I’ve bashed MM plenty in the past, not exactly a MM supporter. But that’s unfair.

First of all, it was the right way to go. This isn’t theory, they were up 14 with less than 7 minutes to go. And the running game was working well, the OL was dominating.

And moreso, A LOT of the playcalling has to do with Rodgers. He can shift to a passing play any time he wants if he so chooses to do. And he can shift to a running play as well.

It’s great, the best way an offense can perform is if the call is made in the LOS, after the defense has settled. But that’s a lot of responsability to the QB, and he will have more impact in the playcalling and ratio than the coach.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Bill Bellichek also screws up running up the scores like that.

I'm not one that complains about running up the score at all, but go back to the Pats losing to the Colts in 2009. He went for it on 4th down and cost them that game cause he couldn't slow down and give his defense a chance.

McCarthy is not Bellicheck because he knows we had an outstanding defense last year, and while playing a good team last night, they struggled but our Defense was a monster last year and will bounce back. Billicheck has to depend on his offense almost every single game when the Patriots defense finished in 31st place for passing defense last year. Yeah they went 14-2 but look at their numbers. Teams had a field day throwing all over them. They pride themselves on interceptions and turnovers, but they don't seem to give any consideration to giving up so much.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are going to get at least one of these posts a year until;
1) MM changes things.
2) MM retires.
3) Every GB fan will become satisfied with MM.
(I've been in your shoes. I know how it is. Now I'm OK with our Super Bowl winning coach.)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I love Belichick... he makes teams stop the Patriots and their fans hardly have to worry when they know the team has the opposing defense's number. Again, i'm not trying to be a downer, I just don't understand this concept.

Did you love Belichick when he was an idiot and went for it on fourth down against the Colts on the Patriot side of the 50, only to come up short and lose the game?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
1) MM changes things.
2) MM retires.
(I've been in your shoes. I know how it is. Now I'm OK with our Super Bowl winning coach.)

Everyone has been unsatisfied with the man at any point in his career with the Pack, but over time I think everyone should be happy with him. He did win us a Super Bowl and proved all it takes is patience on someone. We could have fired him and blamed 2007 NFC Title game on him and accomplished nothing.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bothered me the most was not going back to the no huddle later in the game. It was working almost flawlessly in the first half and then they just stopped using it. It seemed to ignite the Saints and reduce the spark that the Pack had going for them.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What bothered me the most was not going back to the no huddle later in the game. It was working almost flawlessly in the first half and then they just stopped using it. It seemed to ignite the Saints and reduce the spark that the Pack had going for them.

As perfect as the no huddle worked, I would love to see it more. Maybe even name it the "A-Rod Gun" since the Bills had the K-Gun in no huddle.

Reaction score
1) MM changes things.
2) MM retires.

I've always been a fan, but then again I've always been a fan of everyone on the Packers. Just to name a few.

1. Mike McCarthy
2. Ted Thompson
3. Jarrett Bush
4. Mason Crosby

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classic shape shifter offense. Just because something works doesn't mean you can't change it up....then when the situation calls for it your team is able to do anything. I love it.....but he has to know when to say when and cut some throats instead of having a game ender play like last night.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Eh, I would rather criticize the fact we didn't keep running it at the end of the game and had A-Rod throw it on 3rd down. I love the Packers throwing the ball, but our running game seems to have improved. Plus its not like our RB's fumble like AP under pressure.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really see it as MM's fault, and even Rodgers said after the game that the offense was off the field for 25 actual mins thats a LONG time and they got out sync. I've seen it happen more often than not, they just need to figure out how not to get out of sync

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for making me feel better guys. I don't mean to be so critical. I just feel like we should've came out in the second half with the no-huddle and took it to them a little more. It would've completely demoralized them. I understand you can't always floor it, but it just seemed like they took it completely easy on them. I don't know I just feel like that could've cost us the game. I know it's up to rodgers and they were off the field for some time... oh well, you know what it was the first game of the season, it is what it is. Go PACK!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I agonize over this every week the Packers hold the lead. I figure it's part and parcel of this team. You just have to accept they are going to run the ball and the clock when they have a lead. As a fan I often wonder how it would work to keep drilling them. Truth be told, I can't argue with the approach against this team. Those Saint are freakin' good.
It would be nice if someone kept stats on such a thing. I know the Patriots use the keep hammering approach. It has backfired against them with the Colts though.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The thing is we have defense, the Patriots do not.

You can compare turnovers till your blue in the face, while NE did lead the league in interceptions last year, they depended only on that with their defense, cause they sure could not stop anyone with a passing game (ranked 31st in passing defense) and look what happened when they made the playoffs.Last two years in a row, it came back in their face just like going for it on 4th down against the Colts.

Remember when McCarthy would win the toss last year and elect to kick off so the defense started?
He knows we have a defense, and they didn't do much Thursday night (but you can't really down them, the Saints are a good team) that don't mean they won't show up during the season.

Bellicheck has to depend on his offense 24/7, while you live by it, you also die by it. The Jets were not a better team than them, but they couldn't stop them in the playoffs. Hell, even when the Pats whooped them 45-3, they still gave up tons of yards!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish we wouldn't let off the gas but you have to remember that playing full speed for 60 minutes will tire guys out and lead to more injuries.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I asked the same question right after the game. I eventually had to train myself to understand that even though MM and TT make questionable calls (in the fans eyes), they will work out 99% of the time. I do wonder at times if we kept the fast paced, no-huddle offense going, how many points could our offense actually put up? I think it would be a ridiculous number to say the least.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

Well, I did see the logic in that. With a big lead, you want to start using ALL the clock time you can. If you are going to try to take off as much clock as possible, you might as well huddle and make sure everybody has the play right.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's only one thing about that article. It only takes into account stats. And even so, he's comparing Rodgers' 3 years as a QB to the entire career of Manning, Brady...

Rodgers has only been elite since last year. The years prior, he was amazing, but he was not elite. Manning and Brady have 7 years of elite play to base their stats on.

And even so, it doesn't take into account if Rodgers was responsible for the comeback losses or not. Sure, it does separate with drives where Rodgers had the chance of doing so, and Rodgers' stats greatly improve.

But it still doesn't show if his receivers dropped the ball, if the line broke down, or if Rodgers simly didn't make the plays... And it doesn't show a per year basis, as I'm pretty sure Rodgers' situational stats last year and in 09 were much better than in 08, and I expect them to be even better this year.

I understand and agree with the article, Rodgers isn't as good in a comeback as Manning, Brady... But he's usually better in the rest of the time. Rarely he puts his team in a bad situation to lose.

How many games has Rodgers costed us? I honestly can't remember a single one that he played bad enough to cost us a game. I sure remember Manning and Brady sucking so bad they costed their teams a W.

But, yeah... It's just too early to compare careers at this point.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa Bay comes to mind but thats about it. I dont count the AZ playoff game against him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it does do a comparative % between the QBs to balance out the years difference

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts