Why does Capers take so much flak?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
McCarty seems to be enamored of Capers, so it doesn't look like he's leaving either. Ted's contract expires in 2018, so unless someone changes their approach, it doesn't look like we'll be winning a Super Bowl until then, at least.

Didn't these guys already win one with this approach?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're joking right??

Casey Hayward NEARLY WON "Rookie of the Year"

It's TT's fault he wasn't resigned. Casey was hurt his 2nd year if I remember correctly

Neal and Hyde are good late round selections that Capers has made look good
Jury is out on Kenny Clark, but I liked that selection

Datone Jones is easily forgettable... just bad

The underlying problem is probably just lack of FA signings to be honest lol

I dunno look at this defensive roster, there's just not a whole lot of talent. Some good players sure, but not much in the way of elite talent. That's an indication that Teds drafts have been subpar more than anything.

That's what frustrates me, people obsess about his lack of interest in free agency but it's really his drafting that has not been good enough (on defense). Utilizing free agency can only fix so much.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a rookie, Hayward was a nickel facing mostly WR3's.

Last season, Hayward shadowed #1 wide receivers.

So never.

You need to define your terms a little better, then. You just said his performance was never as good, without mention of the competition.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't these guys already win one with this approach?
Yes, but Thompson leaves in two years. Matthews was in his prime, and we had Nick Collins and Charles Woodson, and they were very lucky to get Woodson. I don't see them getting this defense to Super Bowl caliber in that period of time - unless they change their approach. I would be happy to be wrong.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You need to define your terms a little better, then. You just said his performance was never as good, without mention of the competition.

I think I've been really clear about how Hayward was better. We were talking about performance, not production.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, both Capers (and McCarthy being Capers boss) take a lot of flak for the Packers defense being a pile of crap, is that both are coaching with one arm tied behind their backs.
They are tied up by Ted Thompson's bad drafting and other personnel decisions on the defensive side of the ball.
Give both of these coaches a GM who would forego counting pennies and make an effort to maximize player talent, I think most fans would be satisfied with the play of the Green Bay Packers coaching staff as a whole.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
IMHO, both Capers (and McCarthy being Capers boss) take a lot of flak for the Packers defense being a pile of crap, is that both are coaching with one arm tied behind their backs.
They are tied up by Ted Thompson's bad drafting and other personnel decisions on the defensive side of the ball.
Give both of these coaches a GM who would forego counting pennies and make an effort to maximize player talent, I think most fans would be satisfied with the play of the Green Bay Packers coaching staff as a whole.

I agree that it would help them both if TT would incorporate FA more, but even without it he has supplied his coaches with a better roster than most GM's over his 12 year tenure.

D

Deleted member 6794

I dunno look at this defensive roster, there's just not a whole lot of talent. Some good players sure, but not much in the way of elite talent. That's an indication that Teds drafts have been subpar more than anything.

That's what frustrates me, people obsess about his lack of interest in free agency but it's really his drafting that has not been good enough (on defense). Utilizing free agency can only fix so much.

Teams using free agency in a smart way have a chance to improve obvious positions of need immediately while draft picks in most cases take some time to develop. Thompson's draft over the last few years haven't been as excellent as early during his tenure but would have been good enough to field a decent defense if he had utilized other methods to improve the unit as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is... you honestly do NOT NEED a whole lot of FAs...

Our safeties are very good and Randall/Gunter are best suited for #2 or #3 roles

The DL will be fine i think as Guion/Daniels/Clark(I have hope for him) should be pretty solid

1. Either MOVE Clay INSIDE or sign Hightower... this defense NEEDS a difference maker or "playmaker" at ILB

2. Sign a quality CB in free agency and who can step in and be the "number one" corner for a year or two.

That's really all that needs to be done. It's not a LOT of holes/needs but glaring ones

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So just sign the top ILB on the FA market and a top 5 FA corner. Should be simple. :)

If you believe we need an impact ILB, Matthews isn't the guy.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower is an almost obvious signing at ILB

Bouye will likely be signed.. but he wil lget over paid. I like him and think he is a good corner but he won't be worth what he pays. Character wise, he reminds me a lot of Donald Driver, but I don't think he will be worth the long term deal he gets

D

Deleted member 6794

Our safeties are very good and Randall/Gunter are best suited for #2 or #3 roles

Either MOVE Clay INSIDE or sign Hightower... this defense NEEDS a difference maker or "playmaker" at ILB

While it's true that neither Randall nor Gunter should cover opposing top receivers I'm not convinced either of them will turn into a decent #2 cornerback down the road.

As adambr already pointed out Matthews isn't an impact player lining up inside.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true that neither Randall nor Gunter should cover opposing top receivers I'm not convinced either of them will turn into a decent #2 cornerback down the road.

As adambr already pointed out Matthews isn't an impact player lining up inside.

compared to the other players we use on the inside he is lol.. which is sad

Makes you miss Barnett/Hawk actually lol, but those guys were better suited for a 4-3

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe that's the reason McCarthy is such a staunch supporter of Capers, despite the lack of results. Maybe he knows Thompson hasn't given him enough to work with.

McCarthy manages to find success with the offense, but he has Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

compared to the other players we use on the inside he is lol.. which is sad

Matthews isn't any better playing inside than Ryan or Martinez. Clay's scheduled to count more than 10 times more towards the cap next season than both of them combined though.

Members online

Latest posts