1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Who would you root for if the Packers didn't exist?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GWheels, May 25, 2011.

1. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    I know it's a scary thought if the Pack didn't exist but I'd probably be a Browns fan. There's always been something about them that makes me root for them when there on. Unless their playing the Packers of course. They seem to be that underdog you want to root for.

2. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    I'm scared now to voice a comment.. :blink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I'd be a Bear fan or a Viking fan . . . .

psych.

I'd probably be a Colts fan since I have been transplanted here in Indiana.

4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123

HOLY CR*P!! Don't mess with me like that. Anyway, I'd probably root for the NY Giants because my kids live there and (other than during football season) I wish I did too.

5. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,405
    I think this thread has been done before. But I would be an Eagles fan.

6. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    Something about the Redskins strikes me.

7. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Believe it or not I'd be a Steelers fan.

8. MiamiBeachPacker

MiamiBeachPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +257
    Dolphins fan since I live in Miami

9. packerstl101

packerstl101 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    rams, i live in st louis

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Raiders

11. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I have absolutely no idea. I chose to be a packer fan, I wasn't born one, I don't live in any US state...
    Maybe the cowboys, because they have some of the same colors my soccer team have (Blue, Black, White).

But I think I would cheer for the Lions, believe it or not. Started watching football in the early 90's, loved Barry Sanders, and theu have those colors, they even add black once in a while in their uniforms.

12. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I really like Jim Schwartz. I like the staff he's put together. I like a lot of the guys on that team. They're definitely moving in the right direction, which was no easy task after Millen did so much damage They're not pushovers any more. I like to see a team like that improving and doing it the right way. It's a shame it has to happen in the NFC North, though! lol.

13. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +466
    Not sure, but can tell you who it WOULDN'T be!
    Bears
    Cowboys
    Eagles
    And them purple wearing bastages to the NW of me.

14. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044
    Not so sure Milwaukee wouldn't have gotten an expansion team sometime in the past half century. Probably would be a more fair-weather fan in any case.

15. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    I would also probably be a bitter Lions fan. I grew up in upper Michigan, but my home town is much closer to Lambeau than it is to Detroit.

Some of my relatives are Lions fans, as well as Vikings fans, and I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone.

16. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    It all depends ... for whom is Matt Flynn playing?

• Like Like x 1
  17. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Matt Flynn doesn't play for any team. The team plays for Matt Flynn. (good use of "whom" by the way, I'm a sucker for good grammer)

18. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    jacksonville jaguars, my friend is from jacksonville, and I used to be a fan back when they had the best defense in the league 3-4 years ago.

19. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044

While good grammers are Ok it is the baaaad grammers that let us ole coots really enjoy life.:laughing: XXX THIS THOUGHT CENSORED DUE TO ITS ADULT NATURE XXX

• Like Like x 1
  20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Chargers

Also, I'd try and rally around the Browns and Lions as underdogs with players that I like.

21. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    Probably the Bears bc I live in Central IL... God just saying that makes me want to run and grab something to jam in my eye.

22. Big E

Big E Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    It probably depends on if the Packers never existed or if they ceased to exist right now. When I was becoming a football fan, I lived out in Nebraska. So if the Packers had never existed, I probably would have become a Broncos fan because Colorado is in the same region and the Broncos were good at that time. But if the Packers just disappeared right now, I would either become a Lions fan because they've drafted quite a few players recently that I really liked in college or I would become a Redskins fan because I live in Virginia now.

23. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    I live in San Diego so I'd say Chargers but my dad influenced my team of choice and the main reason he picked the Packers was to spite my uncle (a Vikings fan) so I think my dad would've picked Chicago with that logic.

24. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I am pondering the likelihood of the NFL even existing if it were not for the Packers. To this day, I think many fans of many teams buy season tickets in the thin hopes of the Packers coming to play in their stadium at some point.

How else can you explain Detroit selling more than a few hundred seats over the last decade?

I would probably be a Steelers fan. They were winning SBs when I was a kid and Rocky Blier was from Appleton, my home town. Their defense was awesome and had some great characters.

25. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,190
    I don’t think the league’s existence was dependent upon the Packers’ existence. Halas was forming the league regardless of what happened with the franchise in Green Bay and started a league the year before the Packers joined. IMO Red Grange joining the league in 1925 was more important for the popularity and continued existence of the league than any individual franchise. Then the 1958 Colts/Giants title game, dubbed the "greatest game ever" ushered in the NFL's popularity on TV.

I’m not sure if you are kidding about other teams' season ticket purchasers or not. If not, other than Packers fans located around the country, I don’t think fans of other teams buy tickets looking forward to potential games against the Packers. And only the extremely foolish ones would buy season tickets for that purpose, since they could wait and buy tickets only for games vs. the Packers.

As to why the Lions draw as they do, I think it has mostly to do with the following:

Season: Record; Finish in the division
    ’01: 2-14; last
    ’02: 3-13; last
    ’03: 5-11; last
    ’04: 6-10; 3rd
    ’05: 5-11; 3rd
    ’06: 3-13; last
    ’07: 7-9; 3rd
    ’08: 0-16; last
    ’09: 2-14; last
    ’10: 6-10; 3rd

No playoffs for a decade, the worst GM in the history of the league for 8 of those years, and their best season of the last ten? 2 games under .500.