Who would you root for if the Packers didn't exist?

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd probably be a lions fan as lame as that sounds. When I first really got into football Barry Sanders was in his prime and I always loved watching him play.

Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ok, for me since I am a Viking's fan. If they did not exist*, Packers. Hands down.

*Also holds true if they end up in LA.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don’t think the league’s existence was dependent upon the Packers’ existence. Halas was forming the league regardless of what happened with the franchise in Green Bay and started a league the year before the Packers joined. IMO Red Grange joining the league in 1925 was more important for the popularity and continued existence of the league than any individual franchise. Then the 1958 Colts/Giants title game, dubbed the "greatest game ever" ushered in the NFL's popularity on TV.

I’m not sure if you are kidding about other teams' season ticket purchasers or not. If not, other than Packers fans located around the country, I don’t think fans of other teams buy tickets looking forward to potential games against the Packers. And only the extremely foolish ones would buy season tickets for that purpose, since they could wait and buy tickets only for games vs. the Packers.

As to why the Lions draw as they do, I think it has mostly to do with the following:

Season: Record; Finish in the division
’01: 2-14; last
’02: 3-13; last
’03: 5-11; last
’04: 6-10; 3rd
’05: 5-11; 3rd
’06: 3-13; last
’07: 7-9; 3rd
’08: 0-16; last
’09: 2-14; last
’10: 6-10; 3rd

No playoffs for a decade, the worst GM in the history of the league for 8 of those years, and their best season of the last ten? 2 games under .500.
Slightly worse then the Packers of the 50's. Wonder if they can turn it around like the Packers of the 60's. That's a scary thought.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
While good grammers are Ok it is the baaaad grammers that let us ole coots really enjoy life.:laughing: *** THIS THOUGHT CENSORED DUE TO ITS ADULT NATURE ***

Reminds me of that old joke about Grandmother kissing you and slipping you the tongue. When you protest she says, "What do you want? Good Gramma or good taste?"

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
My list goes like this.

Vikings
Packers
Other teams other than Cowboys
Give up watching the NFL before being a Cowboys fan

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers didn't exist, NFL football would be very boring. I would probably be a baseball fan. LOL

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the Packers appear to be God's team, I would think that if the Packers didn't exist, then the league wouldn't exist either. I think God just created the rest of the league to give the Packers somebody to play with. LOL.

If the Packers didn't exist, I'd probably still be an Eagles fan having never found a better team nor a reason for leaving the Eagles in the first place. Reggie White probably would of retired in Eagles green sans Superbowl win.

This thread has me wondering and thinking deeper into this. It's kind of like A Wonderful Life but with the Packers. Think of how all of our lives would be so different if it weren't for them. For one thing, this very forum wouldn't exist and we probably all wouldn't of gotten the chance to get to know one another. The town of Green Bay would not be as it is. It's actually quite startling to think how many lives would be affected and in how many different ways. It makes me thankful for this team (they do exist!) and glad I became a fan of them!!! Go Pack Go!

Reaction score
I would have nothing to live for if there was no such thing as the Packers. Therefore, I would rather be dead before dreaming of a life without the Packers.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The 49'ers have always been my second favorite team...wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down here by comparison, but still.

Wayyyyyy back in the early 70's the 9'ers had John Brodie winging the ball to Gene Washington (now the NFL League bigshot), not the Vikings' Gene Washington... man, I loved watching those guys play...but really, it was their helmets and colors. ;o) It was really nice in the 80's because the Pack sucked so bad that at least I had a team to root for after the regular season was over.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, God no. Life without the Packers?

If there weren't the Packers, I wouldn't be a fan of football. The Packers carry a sense of tradition and respect that very few teams, if any, have. There isn't a team on Earth like the Packers. After all, what other team in any sport has you being proud of owning a part of it? And think about it. There wouldn't be Curly Lambeau and his "secret weapon", the forward pass. There wouldn't be Don Hutson turning WRs into a legitimate offensive threat. There wouldn't be Lombardi, or Starr, or Hornung, or Davis, or Nitschke or... God, just the thought of it makes me depressed.

Although, if I were forced to choose, it'd be the Pittsburgh Steelers. They're the team I know is closest to the Packers. Ownership (the team is owned by a family instead of one person), history (6 Super Bowls, Chuck Noll, the "Steel Curtain"), winning tradition, blue-collar style of football, and a near-identical color scheme (black and gold, as opposed to green and gold).

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I wonder how much I'd be watching football at all. Dad didn't give a hoot about the game, it was only because the Packers were world champs and from Wisconsin that I got interested. Interestingly enough, I didn't know the Lions were rivals and I like their helmets and I had a "Duke" from a Lions game that they were my second favorite as a kid.
I'm also a closet Chargers fan, the days of "Air Coryell" I was living 50 miles or so north of San Diego, so probably the bolts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts