Who is our #2 RB this year?

Reaction score
Called it!

I still think Dillon's pass catching ability is underused. Understandable given we had Jones, but hope we throw more to him too.
Yes. It’s something that jumps out to me with him. Get him in space to allow momentum. Certain players that get the ball in space are highly effective and Dillon is one of them. another example coming up in this draft is Marshawn Lloyd.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will still take a RB in this draft. Although we won’t feel pressure to do it in Day 2 unless it’s too good to pass up.
That probably depends on how they really feel about Wilson. Gute's been talking a lot about he's ready to take the next step, he's primed to have a great year, etc, but I'm not sure I buy it. If AJ Dillon is your 2nd best back, it's a good idea to upgrade the position, because I never saw anything out of Wilson last year to make me think he's going to be anything special.

We may still go Day Two, but probably not first half of the day.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO MLF seemed to be getting away from using the RBs as pass catchers. Other than Jones' 8 targets against San Fran he seemed to he getting fewer towards the end of the season. Perhaps MLF was just concerned about his injuries.
Well, he had either Dillon or Jones out and yes the risk of injury becomes more concerning. At the same time we had plenty of downfield targets even with their wounded. Protecting Love was the most important part of the offense.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he's back and that's that.

I think Dillon could be quite useful as a fullback.

He is indeed underrated as a pass catcher.

Catching a few passes on a screen and going downhill during November, December and January should terrify defenders.
Honestly, he is a fullback in a world where fullbacks no longer exist. I'm glad to see him come back.

My thoughts.... Some guys get put up against the wall..and the fire gets lit. And they battle their way out .. others end up being the RB coach at their home town community college.

I could see the big guy resurrect his career this year. Get that 4.45 40 speed with quadzilla attitude. He has the potential.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. It’s something that jumps out to me with him. Get him in space to allow momentum. Certain players that get the ball in space are highly effective and Dillon is one of them. another example coming up in this draft is Marshawn Lloyd.
I'm still thinking a day 2 RB is in order. Get a Jacobs back up with a starter skill set. And keep Dillon around as a big brother short yardage guy.

I picture a scenario where Jacobs goes down early for the year. And Dillion/Wilson just doesn't give Love the running game he needs to keep defenses honest. I'm not betting the farm on Dillon/Wilson taking that next step. Id like one of the three day 2 picks I listed to step in and set the stage for a new starter evolving.

Jacobs is on a 3 year deal with only 1/3 of his contract guaranteed. We have two studs, a bruiser, and a developmental player then we are literally set strong for the next three years at the position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still thinking a day 2 RB is in order. Get a Jacobs back up with a starter skill set. And keep Dillon around as a big brother short yardage guy.

I picture a scenario where Jacobs goes down early for the year. And Dillion/Wilson just doesn't give Love the running game he needs to keep defenses honest. I'm not betting the farm on Dillon/Wilson taking that next step. Id like one of the three day 2 picks I listed to step in and set the stage for a new starter evolving.

Jacobs is on a 3 year deal with only 1/3 of his contract guaranteed. We have two studs, a bruiser, and a developmental player then we are literally set strong for the next three years at the position.
I'm unconvinced there is truly a stud RB in this draft. I'd prefer to see up the middle defense and perhaps an offensive lineman drafted in the first three rounds.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts are the Jacobs signing pushes RB back to pick#126 or #169. First 5 picks in no order OL-ILB-S-CB-DT. Of course how the board unfolds will dictate. DT could be replaced by edge depending on the plans for the new defense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as right now I think Wilson is #2. But the powers that be seem hell bent on getting more out of Dillon.

Reaction score
Honestly, he is a fullback in a world where fullbacks no longer exist. I'm glad to see him come back.

My thoughts.... Some guys get put up against the wall..and the fire gets lit. And they battle their way out .. others end up being the RB coach at their home town community college.

I could see the big guy resurrect his career this year. Get that 4.45 40 speed with quadzilla attitude. He has the potential.
His Combine time was 4.53. That’s still amazing for a 247lb man though.
I ran a 4.55 in High School (only because we were rained into an indoor Track Meet). Although I was a 16yr old/5’9”X148lb distance runner so there’s that. 4.53 is pretty fast in general though. 4.45 would be Olympic speed for 250lb. The kid who won my HS indoor event (Darren Johnson) ran a 4.38X40 (18yrs old) at 6’3X200lb, which we now know is elite NFL speed. Thanks for letting me reminisce!
Payton Wilson, LB at combine at 6’4”X238lb just ran a 4.43 40Time which was the fastest LB at the Combine

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm unconvinced there is truly a stud RB in this draft. I'd prefer to see up the middle defense and perhaps an offensive lineman drafted in the first three rounds.
LB concerns me now that Campbell is gone. One of them will have to cover Aaron Jones now twice coming out of the backfield. That scares me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought I would say this, but it makes sense.

Jones is a great pass protector but Jacobs reportedly isn’t.

You don’t want to rely on a rookie for that job.

Dillon is good at it. And for cap purposes, it’s a vet min deal.

Stats of pass blocking chances and success say Jacobs is Jones’ equivalent. I have no clue where the bad blocker talk came from…probably Packer backers ticked Jones was let go

Reaction score
Stats of pass blocking chances and success say Jacobs is Jones’ equivalent. I have no clue where the bad blocker talk came from…probably Packer backers ticked Jones was let go
Interesting. I do know that Looking back at his history (his draft profile) for the Crimson Tide he allowed just 2 pressures on 35 Pass blocking attempts. Which is pretty good.

I don’t have access to his more recent NFL grade though. I would like to see evidence that supports he’s a poor pass blocker. I do see comments by GM Telasco saying this recently from ESPN
“We’re going to explore pretty hard to see if we can bring him back here and kind of go from there, but as far as a player—running game, passing game, pass protection—he can really help you win games”

That sounds like an awful nice endorsement for a bad pass blocker

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His Combine time was 4.53. That’s still amazing for a 247lb man though.
I ran a 4.55 in High School (only because we were rained into an indoor Track Meet). Although I was a 16yr old/5’9”X148lb distance runner so there’s that. 4.53 is pretty fast in general though. 4.45 would be Olympic speed for 250lb. The kid who won my HS indoor event (Darren Johnson) ran a 4.38X40 (18yrs old) at 6’3X200lb, which we now know is elite NFL speed. Thanks for letting me reminisce!
Payton Wilson, LB at combine at 6’4”X238lb just ran a 4.43 40Time which was the fastest LB at the Combine
I used to run a 4.0. That was from home to 1st base in 16inch softball.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I do know that Looking back at his history (his draft profile) for the Crimson Tide he allowed just 2 pressures on 35 Pass blocking attempts. Which is pretty good.

I don’t have access to his more recent NFL grade though. I would like to see evidence that supports he’s a poor pass blocker. I do see comments by GM Telasco saying this recently from ESPN
“We’re going to explore pretty hard to see if we can bring him back here and kind of go from there, but as far as a player—running game, passing game, pass protection—he can really help you win games”

That sounds like an awful nice endorsement for a bad pass blocker
Be interesting to see if the Packers look to roster a bonafide FB on the 53 this year. I believe we tried one last year mostly on ST but he was no bigger than Dillon. My concern is still inside the 5 yard line and 3rd and 4th and 1.

Reaction score
I used to run a 4.0. That was from home to 1st base in 16inch softball.
Ok. I think you ran close to a 5.0 sec 40. Somewhere between Kenny Clark and Caleb Jones.
Did you weigh 305-370lb is all I need to ascertain to picture this in my head. If so, next we’ll calculate your BMI scorecard :D

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LB concerns me now that Campbell is gone. One of them will have to cover Aaron Jones now twice coming out of the backfield. That scares me.
Scarier is having Campbell trying to keep up with him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Most people who watch the film say that about him. I’m not claiming to be one of those people.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people who watch the film say that about him. I’m not claiming to be one of those people.
Also, if the O line isn't any good; it makes picking up rushers that much more difficult. Bodies all over the place in the backfield.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good guess, I think. The dude's known to be a classic 3-down back, which means he's frequently in the backfield fo passing downs. There's no way he's a weak passbloceker.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. I think you ran close to a 5.0 sec 40. Somewhere between Kenny Clark and Caleb Jones.
Did you weigh 305-370lb is all I need to ascertain to picture this in my head. If so, next we’ll calculate your BMI scorecard :D
If I was over 6ft. tall I would weigh 321 lbs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.. just no. A for effort for him, but just doesn't seem to have the speed to do it. He is just a backup body and definitely wouldn't pay him like a #2.
Agreed. There is nothing special about Taylor or Wilson. With Dillon back in the fold, draft at least 2 RBs. Dillon has become more of a FB than half back. They need another HB to complement and ultimately replace Jacobs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible we don't have a clear cut 2 this year. Part of why you want Jacobs is to have a primary carrier. What on-field ability we lose with Jones leaving is the receiving threat. I'd look to scatbacks that could be dangerous in space. Dillon wouldn't be a bad re-sign, if only for familiarity.

It's possible we end up with a 3 man rotation that is vaguely similar to 2004. Your main threat (Green = Jacobs), your almost good enough to start player (Davenport = Maybe Dillon?) and your receiving threat/3rd down back (Tony Fischer = ???).

That is of course a luxury, doesn't translate perfectly, it's been 20 years, and what teams expect from their backs is different, but it helps me wrap my head around it.
By acquiring Jacobs, the draft approach with RBs is a lot different. I think it's still a good idea to look for Jacobs' ultimate replacement (I know, he just got here, but he has miles). There's always Wilson and Taylor, although I don't much care for either.

With Dillon back (and I think that's a good thing), there's not as much urgency to find a RB in the draft. Take a guy in round 4 and then 7, or an UDFA.

The focus now is on finding a good OT, and this draft is loaded, and another S with a 1st or 2nd round pick. If DeJean is there at #25, they gotta take him. McKinney and DeJean sounds like a good safety pair to me.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't trust rookies. Especially in the first half of their first season. I'm working under the assumption that Wilson has a year under his belt, should know the playbook and all the blocking assignments and has had a year of refinement in blocking instruction and technique hopefully. All assumptions of course. Did I mention that I despise seeing stupid rookie mistakes hamstringing my team?
Your logic is sound. I guess Wilson can improve after a season, I’m just not a big fan. But yeah, he knows the playbook.

Also not a fan of a rookie RB in a weak year for RBs. With Dillon back, maybe Wilson does get the nod.

I still see Gluten picking two RBs, probably round 4 and round 7 or an UDFA.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The focus now is on finding a good OT, and this draft is loaded, and another S with a 1st or 2nd round pick. If DeJean is there at #25, they gotta take him. McKinney and DeJean sounds like a good safety pair to me.
I think someone else is going to snatch DeJean up before we get a shot, but we'll take a tackle at 25 and either Nubin or Bullard on Day Two. Assuming Gute doesn't trade back out of Round One altogether, which honestly is a coin flip. Could go either way, depending on who's on the board.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I think someone else is going to snatch DeJean up before we get a shot, but we'll take a tackle at 25 and either Nubin or Bullard on Day Two. Assuming Gute doesn't trade back out of Round One altogether, which honestly is a coin flip. Could go either way, depending on who's on the board.
What are your thoughts on Kool-Aid? I think odds of him being there at 25 are pretty good.