Who is our #2 RB this year?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus. You can’t guarantee our RB doesn’t miss time. Both Jacob’s and Jones have missed multiple games recently. I’m not afraid to Roster 4 guys if needed. They know more than I do about Wilson. As of now he’s a Sophomore RB that was undradted from Denver.This banking on him is a bit premature. Maybe he is maybe he isn’t but I’m not ignoring RB because I’m scared of losing Wilson that I’m 100% sure of. If a RB I have at #75 overall is there at #91 he’s getting gift wrapped and overnighted to GB. Wilson can earn his spot by showing me he’s Trey Benson or Braelon Allen. I think we’re putting waaay too much stock in Emmanuel Wilson. He’s a great 3rd-4th look. Past that it’s too early to crown him Jacobs successor.

We’re 1 Injury to Jacobs or Dillon away from a major hole and this O functions best with a good RB. It didn’t do well at all with Dillon last year as RB1 and I’m Not sure why you think Dillon or Wilson can handle Jacob’s role if he misses time. I’m drafting Braelon Allen if he’s there late Day2

Worse case scenario we have too many good RB’s? That’s a good problem to have
With Jacobs in his first year of his 4 year contract, I'd prefer they look for RB's later unless one is hanging around that can also return punts. I don't think Allen fits this team particularly well. He would be a 2 year backup here in my opinion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Jacobs in his first year of his 4 year contract, I'd prefer they look for RB's later unless one is hanging around that can also return punts. I don't think Allen fits this team particularly well. He would be a 2 year backup here in my opinion.
Agreed on Allen. If he is still around in round 5 or 6, then maybe take a chance on him.

I think Gluten took Allen to use draft picks elsewhere. And with Dillon back, I'd say the earliest they would consider a RB would be round 5, maybe round 4. They have more pressing needs at S, CB, and OL to waste early picks on RBs.

IMO Allen is mostly a sentimental favorite. That's not a good basis for drafting someone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't help it..... I'll throw some salt over my shoulder., and leave an offering tonight.
I wouldn't mind using a second or third round pick on a WR if someone falls or otherwise presents a solid value pick. I don't think Watson will survive the rigors of the NFL. Hope I'm wrong. Fortunately there are now a lot of good WRs in GB. But this draft has a lotto WR talent. Won't be surprised if Gluten takes one at some point, depending on who is available. It's not a priority though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That probably depends on how they really feel about Wilson. Gute's been talking a lot about he's ready to take the next step, he's primed to have a great year, etc, but I'm not sure I buy it. If AJ Dillon is your 2nd best back, it's a good idea to upgrade the position, because I never saw anything out of Wilson last year to make me think he's going to be anything special.

We may still go Day Two, but probably not first half of the day.
Lol, another guy that doesn't believe what our GM says. Oh well. Just so you know, I'm one of the posters here that will be more than happy to remind you that you poo-poo what Gutekunst specifically says. You didn't attend practices last year, did you?

Reaction score
This would be pretty ironic to me. Multiple years we IMO needed WRs he didn't draft any early or at all and now that we are deep at WR he does.
I’m not at all surprised is Brian takes 1 WR. He’s corky that way. My favorite “value” might be Devontez Walker later Day2

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not at all surprised is Brian takes 1 WR. He’s corky that way. My favorite “value” might be Devontez Walker later Day2
With 11 draft picks, I wouldn't rule out absolutely any position on the field except maybe punter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah don’t jinx us!
Something I noticed in 3 different Mocks. That DT position is super thick in RD4 area (give or take a 1/2 round)

A few weeks back I did a round by round (consensus) by position. WR was the #1 most loaded position both at the Top and throughout. Surprisingly QB offered plenty of options in that Top 200.

For the most part. RB’s, Safeties and LB’s really didn’t get going good until RD2. But there’s lots of options
RD2-5
Sounds great! Trade out of the first and get an extra 2nd and 3rd.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, another guy that doesn't believe what our GM says. Oh well. Just so you know, I'm one of the posters here that will be more than happy to remind you that you poo-poo what Gutekunst specifically says. You didn't attend practices last year, did you?
I listened to Gute when he said they wanted Jones and Campbell back.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to Gute when he said they wanted Jones and Campbell back.

Meh. There are two sides to this coin.

On one hand, you cannot trust a GM in an interview. Why would he give away trade secrets?

On the other, he likely did want them back. Negotiations break down. It's also possible the part he didn't say was "for the veteran minimum."

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

“It’s our anticipation that (Jones) will be back,” Gutekunst said.

You really think Gutekunst thought all along that Aaron Jones was going to take a second consecutive 50%+ salary cut, months after taking the team to the playoffs and being istrumental in beating Dallas? Especially with Drew Rosenhaus representing him? He knew keeping Jones was no slam dunk, so he wes non-committal. "We expect that he will be back", which means "he might be back or he might not be back, we really don't know which way it'll go", which... we already knew, right?

It's GMspeak. "Jones might be back", "Wilson made the most of his opportunities and showed a lot of progress, blah blah blah." Doesn't mean a thing. "Wilson's our guy in March, and will be unless something changes". OK, got it, thanks Gute!

Gutekunst says whatever supports the way he wants people to think about the team at any given time - the fans, the players, their agents, and other teams. Just like any other GM. It's a big part of his job to control information in order to present an image of the team that is most beneficial to the Packers, and I take everything he says regarding future personnel decisions with a grain of salt - probably at least some truth to it, maybe a little maybe a lot... but most of it is just vague, "could mean anything" language when you read it a second and third time.

But to answer your question, no - haven't made it to camp in years, I live too far from Green Bay now. Sounds like you did; what did you see last summer that I didn't see in anyof the televised games? What do you like about him?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Never seen a practice. I suspect that the staff likes Wilson enough though that I think he'll be the front runner for RB3.

Reaction score
Nope. Never seen a practice. I suspect that the staff likes Wilson enough though that I think he'll be the front runner for RB3.
It’s probably a scenario where he’ll be in a Camp/Preseason Battle with another option we bring aboard (like he’s was last year with Taylor) Obviously anytime a RB explodes for a long TD even in Preseason it gets your attention. Now it’s Emmanuel’s job to lose and if he somehow picks back up where he left off in that weird shoulder injury (which didn’t even look that bad live) he’s probably going to get the nod.

You know your Big at RB when your smallest option in the room is Josh Jacobs at a Featherlike 223lb and when your RB1-2-3 average weight is operating at a near Bantomweight 232lbs! :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can see a WR falling to GB that we just cant resist - as early as RD 2
If Brian saw a WR that he has as a Day1 worthy talent but at #41 overall? I wouldn’t be alarmed

I also might not be too upset as we would possibly upgrade to one of the deepest WR rooms leaguewide. The Malachi Corley pick is intriguing because he’s a swing at a Deebo type YAC guy

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a WR falling to GB that we just cant resist - as early as RD 2
I think this is a possibility if GB feels there is a better than 50/50 chance Watson isn't going to cut it in the NFL.

On the other hand, they have enough good WRs that they can wait one more year to see if Watson can stay on the field. Considering the other needs they have, this seems like the most probable outcome. It is a good year for WRs though, and Gluten has shown he'll go against the grain when the right opportunity presents itself.

Now I sound like a lawyer.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Gluten has shown he'll go against the grain when the right opportunity presents itself.

Now I sound like a lawyer.
A lawyer???? I thought you were sounding like a comedian, trying to make a pun :whistling:

I'm thinking a WR will be drafted at some point, I just have no feel as to if they want to add to the room, (late rd pick) or a top end WR early if someone falls in their lap, that is just to good to pass up. Even though the WR's played well last year, I'm of mind that in order to get better, competition needs to be added, which makes me feel that TE could use a guy added also.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Ken Ingalls just tweeted this on "X" about AJ Dillon's contract

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_092604_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_092604_X.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so this type of contract really does have uncapped money attached to it? Essentially half being uncapped.

Slick move by Russ Ball. These guys in the front office know how to work the rules.

Reaction score
Ken Ingalls just tweeted this on "X" about AJ Dillon's contract
This is GOOD deal. If Dillon can somehow find his footing and get back to 2021-2022 type play? This might be one of the best “value” investments of FA.
Dear MLF: Get Dillon in Space
Love, OS101

Members online

Latest posts