Who had the better team?

David22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that peppers is your fav packer.

Those sb teams were very stacked, in what areas of the team has Rodgers had the advantage do you think?

I think all areas since I love everyone who's donned a Packers uniform. I also seem to like Rodgers better because I find myself having more fun watching him. I didn't mind Favre at all though. I know the Packers of the 1990s have better advantage areas than those of the Rodgers era, but I was a little kid during most of the Favre era, and, I just happen to think the Rodgers era is better because when Rodgers became the new starting quarterback, I began to see football the way I would play it. I wish I could be part of a Rodgers era team - even if it's just for one season.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens before I think Ahman Green..........Surprisingly. Am I alone in that?

Me too, and I wasn't even around to see it!

Green was my favorite player growing up as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's defense was better but Rodgers' offense is better. I would say that Rodgers defense is closer to Favre's defense than Favre's offense was to the current one. Reggie was obviously better than anyone on the current packers squad but at least the current squad has someone comparable in Matthews. Favre never had the receiving options that Rodgers has had (Freeman/Driver vs Nelson/Cobb/Jones/Finley). Green and Levens were better running backs but running backs aren't as important in today's nfl so I can't knock the current team for not emphasizing them as much. Rodgers defense has also featured a better overall secondary with Defensive Player of the Year in Woodson, Nick Collins and much better corner depth (remember Ron drafting 73 corners after Randy's rookie season?).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Favre also pissed away a great running game and a chance to go to the Super Bowl in 2003 by throwing an INT in the playoffs most rookies would have been smart enough not to throw. Time and time again throughout his career, opponents would say they just have to be patient and Favre would throw the ball to them. IMO no one can credibly argue Favre is a better QB than Rodgers, so this discussion is moot: Why else discuss which had/has the better teams when the conclusion to be drawn (which is the better QB) has already been answered?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre also pissed away a great running game and a chance to go to the Super Bowl in 2003 by throwing an INT in the playoffs most rookies would have been smart enough not to throw. Time and time again throughout his career, opponents would say they just have to be patient and Favre would throw the ball to them. IMO no one can credibly argue Favre is a better QB than Rodgers, so this discussion is moot: Why else discuss which had/has the better teams when the conclusion to be drawn (which is the better QB) has already been answered?

Uhhmmm, we're discussing the teams because it's fun to look back on old Packers teams. Rodgers' place in the game is secure, I'm not sure why people continually need to put Favre down to prop Rodgers up. Favre is one of the best ever, so is Rodgers. The insecurity over where Rodgers ranks is silly.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, given the differences in things like the rules having changed between the two teams having played as a unit I don't think they are comparable at all. No way to determine how good, or bad, our current secondary would do in the mid to late 90's rules for defence.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that any one fan who had the opportunity to watch both players play...and in some of our cases...Starr, Favre AND Rodgers play ... (cue the Barbra Streisand cut) are the luckiest people in the woooorrrrr---lllll----dddd. {erm.... sorry.... :)}

I'm just gonna pipe in here, 'jes because ... probably nothing new in this post, but it ties in with my opening run-on (and over punctuated) sentence above. The question is really "Who built the better team? Wolf/Holmgren or Thompson/McCarthy" in view of the fact that both Wolf and Thompson have both stated they'll never stick a coach with a player they don't want. So...which QB had the better supporting cast?

The passage of time tends to make great teams god-like, I recognize this, but having watched Wolf assemble the team that he ultimately called a "fart in the wind" was something to behold in retrospect. I would have to say that Brett had the better supporting cast in my opinion. I'm not just talking players, I'm talking coaching as well. Not bashing McCarthy -- I love the guy and we share a birthday ... so now that I've laid down all of the qualifiers, here goes.

Most forget that the first three years of Holmgren's run here, he finished with 9-7 regular season records...I attribute that a total and complete rebuild - inside and on the field - of the organization. Wolf's all but immediate acquisition of The Girl with the Curl (as Wolf called Holmgren), and a QB with an NFL arm, set the wheels in motion. With Holmgren came Ray Rhodes as D.C. for the Pack for two years. Pieces were still NOT in place for a championship team...Favre learning how to play QB from scratch (can it really be that he didn't know what "nickel" meant?) and building a defense that had only LeRoy Butler to speak of. In '93 comes Reggie...better but still not there... in '94 add Sean Jones... and, Fritz Shurmur who made a career with Rams and Cardinals, making the 49'ers West Coast offense miserable...again...better but not quite.

'95 saw the efforts of Wolf's talent acquisition plan (and he followed that plan, read The Packer Way) to the "T", come to fruition, as the Pack finished 11-5, finally won the division and took a great big crap in the NFC Championship game's second half.

Enter Santana Dotson (FA-Tampa) and Eugene Robinson (FA-Seattle). Robinson, in my opinion, was the straw that stirred the drink on that defense. As I recall, the defensive backfield was adequate -- but again, not quite there until Robinson showed up to help coach up the young guys in the defensive backfield.

By now you know where I'm going with this. Again, in my opinion only ... Brett had that defense. Brett had Mike Holmgren sitting on him earlier in his career to teach him to play NFL quarterback. I'm not taking one thing away from Brett, not for minute...but...I've never made any bones about the fact that Rodgers is MY kind of QB -- smart and protects the ball (although he's fumbling a lot this year).

Those still enamored with that 2010 defense, only remember the end result (which I'll still take and steadfastly refuse to give back) of that season. They stepped up at the end ... the '96 team dominated throughout the entire season. I still believe that if there were no Fritz and no Eugene Robinson, there'd have been no SB31 trophy, but that is pure speculation.

Today's NFL is more Arena Football than the game I grew up loving ... but, in today's NFL by comparison, the talent level on the Packer squads in the mid-to-late 90's (and yes Jack, 2003) was vastly superior to what Rodgers has in his corner today. The Pack are winning today based on the smart play and arm of Aaron Rodgers -- he is difference maker on today's roster.

In my book

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers 1996 D was a thing to behold. weeds is right, it was great from the opening game. I’m one of the old-timers here who saw all of Starr’s career and every team/QB since. Those who were following the NFL as “late” as the 1980s (;)) know how dominant the 1985 Bears defense was. As I’ve posted before, the Packers 1996 D surrendered fewer TDs (but not fewer points) than that Bears D. BTW weeds, when is your book being published?
Uhhmmm, we're discussing the teams because it's fun to look back on old Packers teams. Rodgers' place in the game is secure, I'm not sure why people continually need to put Favre down to prop Rodgers up. Favre is one of the best ever, so is Rodgers. The insecurity over where Rodgers ranks is silly.
Look at the question posed in the OP – it’s not just about looking back on old Packers teams. It asks specifically which of the two QBs had the better teams around them during their first 100 games. And look at the responses, they address the obvious inference of the question in the OP: Which of the two had an easier time in their first 100 games because of the teams around them. Pretending it isn’t about which QB is better is silly. BTW, I don’t believe there’s any insecurity about Rodgers’ superiority – I certainly don’t have any.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers 1996 D was a thing to behold. weeds is right, it was great from the opening game. I’m one of the old-timers here who saw all of Starr’s career and every team/QB since. Those who were following the NFL as “late” as the 1980s (;)) know how dominant the 1985 Bears defense was. As I’ve posted before, the Packers 1996 D surrendered fewer TDs (but not fewer points) than that Bears D. BTW weeds, when is your book being published? Look at the question posed in the OP – it’s not just about looking back on old Packers teams. It asks specifically which of the two QBs had the better teams around them during their first 100 games. And look at the responses, they address the obvious inference of the question in the OP: Which of the two had an easier time in their first 100 games because of the teams around them. Pretending it isn’t about which QB is better is silly. BTW, I don’t believe there’s any insecurity about Rodgers’ superiority – I certainly don’t have any.

The 1996 team defense was very good, you'll get no argument from me there. However there were other years that Favre played beside 1996.

Members online

Latest posts