Who do you want to see in the Super Bowl?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting story, thanks. I did hear about that and see no reason why players of either team would need to be measured for rings before the game. Sounds like an urban legend.
If it's an urban legend, it's a widespread one. I was looking for the article where McCarthy said he had nothing to do with it, but was unable to locate it. There were a whole bunch of articles that came up about the rings being measured for the Packers the night before, though, including quotes from players about it, so it seems likely that it happened. Although it's the press, so you never know.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if they still used Jostens. THat was the company who did the first Super Bowl rings. I forget exactly who it was but it will come to me. One of the Super Bowl I Packers worked for that company.
I think it's up to each team who makes their ring. It's usually Josten's (like, 3 out of 4 times probably), and I know they did our 2010 ring. Tiffany makes some, and then at least one more complany I can't remember the name of because I'm not current on my jewelry manufacturers.

There's a story told on every ring. For instance, our 2010 ring has a central "G" logo with 13 diamonds, one for each of our world championships. There are 4 football-shaped diamonds at the corners, signifying 4 Super Bowl wins. Surrounding the giant logo, there are 92 smaller diamonds, representing how many years the Packers had played as of 2010, and supposedly somewhere on the ring they etched the score of each of the 4 postseason games (probably on the inside). Also on the inside is inscribed something inspirational that Woodson said to the tream before the game; something like "We are all of one mind, heart, purpose, goal" or something like that.

I guess when you consider the size of the damned things, there's quite a lot of information you can fit onto one of them.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a story told on every ring. For instance, our 2010 ring has a central "G" logo with 13 diamonds, one for each of our world championships. There are 4 football-shaped diamonds at the corners, signifying 4 Super Bowl wins. Surrounding the giant logo, there are 92 smaller diamonds, representing how many years the Packers had played as of 2010, and supposedly somewhere on the ring they etched the score of each of the 4 postseason games (probably on the inside).
Wow, that's a lot of diamonds.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of diamonds.
They start out that way, but lots of players over the years have reported that after they fist-bumped a few teammates shortly after getting their rings, there weren't as many of the smaller diamonds on the ring as there were before they fist-bumped. Conventional wisdom among the players now seems to be "no fistbumping, please".

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's up to each team who makes their ring. It's usually Josten's (like, 3 out of 4 times probably), and I know they did our 2010 ring. Tiffany makes some, and then at least one more complany I can't remember the name of because I'm not current on my jewelry manufacturers.

There's a story told on every ring. For instance, our 2010 ring has a central "G" logo with 13 diamonds, one for each of our world championships. There are 4 football-shaped diamonds at the corners, signifying 4 Super Bowl wins. Surrounding the giant logo, there are 92 smaller diamonds, representing how many years the Packers had played as of 2010, and supposedly somewhere on the ring they etched the score of each of the 4 postseason games (probably on the inside). Also on the inside is inscribed something inspirational that Woodson said to the tream before the game; something like "We are all of one mind, heart, purpose, goal" or something like that.

I guess when you consider the size of the damned things, there's quite a lot of information you can fit onto one of them.
Lombardi picked Jostens at the time. But in one of Jerry Kramer's books he documented someone working as an off season sales rep for Jostens. I will have to pull it up. I think it was in Distant Replay.

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love to see the four teams who never have made a Super Bowl before do so....
1. Detroit Lions
2. Houston Texans
3. Cleveland Browns
4. Jacksonville Jaguars!

Don't care the match up but they are long overdue.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi picked Jostens at the time. But in one of Jerry Kramer's books he documented someone working as an off season sales rep for Jostens.
Those Lombardi teams needed to have an on staff jeweler.

1. Detroit Lions
2. Houston Texans
3. Cleveland Browns
4. Jacksonville Jaguars!

Don't care the match up but they are long overdue.
I hope we win a couple more first...

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi picked Jostens at the time. But in one of Jerry Kramer's books he documented someone working as an off season sales rep for Jostens. I will have to pull it up. I think it was in Distant Replay.
Yeah, I remember hearing that. It was back in the day when NFL players needed an offseaseon job just to pay the mortgage. A lot of guys worked construction or building trades or whatever, like sheet metal work or lumberyard work, etc. But those who had good people skills often did well in sales job - insurance, car sales, public relations, things like that. Jim Ringo worked construction, I think I remembe that Jerry Kramer was an aritst with sheet metal work, Forrest Gregg worked in a lumberyard... they all needed a side gig.

Articulate, well-spoken players with good people skills often worked in sales or PR. Sales-oriented companies knew it was good business to have a Green Bay Packer facing to the clients. Everybody wanted to say they bought their new car or their home insurance policy from one of the guys who beat the Giants in the NFL championship a few months ago.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anoither interesting bit of trivia about Super Bowl rings is that Vladimir Putin stole one from Patriots owner Robert Kraft. In about 2005, Putin and Kraft met at some sort of function in Russia, and talked about the Patriotss' recent Super Bowl success, and Putin asked to look at Kraft's ring. Kraft removed a ring and handed it to Putin, who hefted it in his hand and said, "I could kill someone with this." Kraft laughed and said, "you could kill someone without it!" Putin laughed, and Kraft reached out to take the ring back, but Putin put it in his pocket and started to walk away. Kraft reached tried to reach for the ring, but KGB agents stepped between the two of them and Putin just kept walking.

Here's the whole story....

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember hearing that. It was back in the day when NFL players needed an offseaseon job just to pay the mortgage. A lot of guys worked construction or building trades or whatever, like sheet metal work or lumberyard work, etc. But those who had good people skills often did well in sales job - insurance, car sales, public relations, things like that. Jim Ringo worked construction, I think I remembe that Jerry Kramer was an aritst with sheet metal work, Forrest Gregg worked in a lumberyard... they all needed a side gig.

Articulate, well-spoken players with good people skills often worked in sales or PR. Sales-oriented companies knew it was good business to have a Green Bay Packer facing to the clients. Everybody wanted to say they bought their new car or their home insurance policy from one of the guys who beat the Giants in the NFL championship a few months ago.
Hornung delivered beer during his suspension. But he was the one Packer doing national commercials and magazine ads when Lombardi came aboard. Like the Marlboro one. The others got their shots later.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anoither interesting bit of trivia about Super Bowl rings is that Vladimir Putin stole one from Patriots owner Robert Kraft. In about 2005, Putin and Kraft met at some sort of function in Russia, and talked about the Patriotss' recent Super Bowl success, and Putin asked to look at Kraft's ring. Kraft removed a ring and handed it to Putin, who hefted it in his hand and said, "I could kill someone with this." Kraft laughed and said, "you could kill someone without it!" Putin laughed, and Kraft reached out to take the ring back, but Putin put it in his pocket and started to walk away. Kraft reached tried to reach for the ring, but KGB agents stepped between the two of them and Putin just kept walking.
I remember that, such a bizarre story. Maybe he had somebody he wanted to kill.
I wonder if Kraft replaced it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's the whole story....

The story points out exactly what Putin is. He was KGB, and isn't one bit different now than he was then. He'd as soon of hung his mother if she disagreed with him. As far as I'm concerned, the day they lower that SOB into a grave can't be too soon.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The story points out exactly what Putin is. He was KGB, and isn't one bit different now than he was then. He'd as soon of hung his mother if she disagreed with him. As far as I'm concerned, the day they lower that SOB into a grave can't be too soon.
Remember when it comes to opponents in football or around the globe " It's not PERSONAL. It's strictly BUSINESS. "

Members online

Latest posts