Who comes back? 2015 Free Agents.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if he plays great this year why would he come back for CHEAP? I can see him going to San Fran or or St. Louis...these seem like two teams that would pay him.
San Fran's '15 cap will be REALLY high, don't think that's any FA's destination. 49'ers will (currently) have 12 guys with cap #'s over $6Mil, compared to Packers (currently) who will have 5.

Cobb & Bulaga may (hopefully) push that over-$6Mil number up to 7, but San Fran has screwed themselves in future years, IMHO.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers ~ excellent tool, just click on team and can see their commitments for future years.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way do you bring Boykin back. They have a great 3 already in Cobb, they need a 2 which Boykin isn't, you can probably find a great 2 in this upcoming draft.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way do you bring Boykin back. They have a great 3 already in Cobb, they need a 2 which Boykin isn't, you can probably find a great 2 in this upcoming draft.

Cobb is a nice 2 with 1 potential. He's got too much playmaking ability to call him a 3 IMO. James Jones is a great 3.

Assuming Cobb is re-signed there's no need to spend a high draft pick on a great potential #2 WR. You've got Adams with a year under his belt, Nelson and Cobb. Much more pressing needs at ILB, DL, TE, etc.

I'd much rather keep Boykin as my #4 WR for the $1.4M tender than spend a high pick on a WR that will probably be buried on the depth chart for a couple years. You can make the case for doing neither because you've got a good project in Janis and Abbrederis is a possibility. But Boykin is a guy who really stepped up and made himself a go-to guy down the stretch, with backups throwing him the ball, and helped us win the division. He was also a guy that MM and the coaching staff felt was improving and were really high on him just a month ago coming out of training camp. It didn't take much for everyone to forget all that. Let's give him more than a few bad weeks when he's been banged up before we throw the towel in on him completely.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO Adams has passed Boykin on the depth chart and with a few more practices/games for experience Janis may not be too far behind. Speed & upside are in their favor. Hopefully Janis is watching every move that Jordy makes and emulates his work ethic and study habits. The young guys gaining experience and learning the offense will (unfortunately) make Boykin expendable in '15.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good chance even the guys lower on the depth chart, (Boykin, Sherrod) could find their way back on a minimum or cheap deal if it's two weeks into the free agent period and the market on them has soured. Possibly even as just camp bodies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you've been saying, but I don't see any way that Sherrod possibly makes this team. He's just not good enough. The injury can't be an excuse any longer. He had his chance to step up and he failed miserably. We chose to play Bulaga with a bad MCL over Sherrod. Boykin will only be a RFA so he should be relatively easy to keep, but with Sherrod it's a talent level issue.
My guess is that Sherrod will get the rest of this season to prove that he belongs on the roster. I think there is a possibility that his skill and technique improve enough during this time that mgmt may consider signing him to a short and low contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming that no extensions occur between now and March, what are the contract size projections to keep the following players from leaving?

Cobb - can he be had for 7.5 M per year?
Bulaga - 5M per year?
House - 4M per year for two years?

I'm going under the assumption that T. Williams and Raji will get the James Jones treatment.
Then there is still Barclay, Boykin, Bush and Richardson to consider.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think packers bring back Cobb but ONLY if he signs for less than Nelson. There's no way you can sign Cobb for more after only one season has passed when it's obvious that Nelson is the better player.

I also think Williams may come back if he settles for a $4m per year, two or three year contract. House hasn't developed as well as some hoped (he's REAL hit or miss) and Williams would allow the team to keep depth.

H

HardRightEdge

Assuming that no extensions occur between now and March, what are the contract size projections to keep the following players from leaving?

Cobb - can he be had for 7.5 M per year?
Bulaga - 5M per year?
House - 4M per year for two years?

I'm going under the assumption that T. Williams and Raji will get the James Jones treatment.
Then there is still Barclay, Boykin, Bush and Richardson to consider.
I'd say Cobb around 8.0 - 8.5 (a shade less than Nelson), Bulaga more like 7.0, House something like 2.5. House could have upped his value if Shields had stayed out for a couple of games and he could have stayed on the field and proved up his value; the shoulder injury will diminish his value.

Cobb and Bulaga would certainly get substantial signing bonuses if signed, deferring some of the cap hit to the out years of the contracts.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't House hurt too much to be spending a lot of money on?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Signed for like 4 mil a year for 4 years, when he was in Cobbs same position 4 years ago. I dont see how Cobb gets 8 when Jordy got 4? Im thinking Cobb and Bulaga have shown streaks of great potential. They've also shown they arent able to stay healthy all year every year. Seems to me a 5 mil a year deal, with possible playing incentives for Cobb, since his upside seems pretty high... Then in 3 years Cobb will get his 10mil a year, just like Jordy did.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Cobb..resign Raji cheap. The rest can go and not hurt us to bad. Let TT use his brilliant drafting to fill the holes:-/ wait, maybe we do need to resign those guys haha. Especially the ones on defense. I honestly think Tretter can take over for Bulaga. Maybe we let House go and bring back williams for a reasonable price. Take a corner in the 2nd.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Signed for like 4 mil a year for 4 years, when he was in Cobbs same position 4 years ago. I dont see how Cobb gets 8 when Jordy got 4? Im thinking Cobb and Bulaga have shown streaks of great potential. They've also shown they arent able to stay healthy all year every year. Seems to me a 5 mil a year deal, with possible playing incentives for Cobb, since his upside seems pretty high... Then in 3 years Cobb will get his 10mil a year, just like Jordy did.

I would't count taking a helmet to the shin against Cobb. That was an unlikely event that means nothing for his durability as I'd bet most players would break a leg with a hit like that.

Cobb could get more than Jordy got 4 years ago just because that was 4 years ago. Players are making more now.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn should be gone by next season time to give Tolzien his chance. Kuhn keep he might be 32 but has done the Packers well. Boykin WR's are a dime a dozen. Wish this would be Jones contract year finally can get rid of him, can't you believer he was drafted the same year as Clay.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is one of the most head in the sand type post ive read in a while.

First the situations are DRASTICALLY different..... Jordy was splitting time with Jones as the #3 reciever and getting shuffeled with DD for snaps with Jennings in 2 wr sets. Cobb is the clear number 2, has 10 TDs and has no standout choice capable of filling the void immediately should he leave.

Secondly, and I cant stress this enough, Jordy extended prior to the season.... He took less then he would have gotton if he would have played out the year and hit the market for the security of a deal... Cobb gambled on his ability to stay healthy and is having a monster year.

If your thinking/hoping Cobb takes a 4-5 mill per year deal from the Pack your going to be disappointed. A deal like that isnt even in the realm of possibility.

He'll get more. He's earned more.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm no. Jordy was the #2 at that point, only to Jennings. Driver was on his way down the depth chart. And the only reason Jones was here was because Rodgers himself spoke up, and Jones accepted 3mil (after testing FA).... And lets mention Jones had 15 TDs in a season after being signed. Which proves anyone can be the double digit TD guy here, and we dont have to pay 10 mil to have him.

Now? Jordy is the #1 (like Jennings was) Cobb is #2, (like Jordy was.) Then we have Adams at #3 (Like Jones was). Lets not forget we have Boykin, Janis, and IMO Aberdarus should be mentioned.

We have a running game that forces us to spread the ball around even more! And we are also more invested in our defense, compared to that time period... So the budget for receivers is even less IMO. We also have to consider that Ted Thompson can draft another 2nd round rookie Wr at any time...

These are the things a GM has to pay attention to. In Teds mind if it wasnt Cobb getting the 10 TDs it would be Adams and Boykin getting those looks. For much less money... Ted not just looking at this years FAs either. He has to budget for all the other stars coming up in the next few years... So for example... Do we sign Cobb for 8-10 like some here believe? When Lacy will want to get paid in another couple years. Mike Daniels. O-line, young pass rushers and secondary... In my opinion he is a high end core player. But he isnt the star and he's not the leader yet. He is replaceable without hardly a step missed... Pay him accordingly. core guys get 5mil. Thats what I would offer. If he accepts it. Continues to play great without major injuries. And in 3 more years when Jordy needs to start thinking about taking a step back in $ and in reps. So Cobb and Adams can take their place as #1 and #2 receivers... Cobb will get paid, and Adams will have to decide if he wants Rodgers throwing him the ball, or Johnny football? LOL or the dynamic trio of Bridgwater/ Cassell/ Ponder. LOL...

In my opinion the green and gold. The hero status. The natural beauty of the area. the rings that are coming. and the team full of great men (besides playing ability) No dysfunction. Very healthy environment for a long happy life. Take the 5 and live like a king happily ever after...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offering Cobb 5 mil a year would be an outright insult.
Just like offering Jordy 4 and Jones 3? I think it simply tells Cobb his value to our team. If he decides to accept and stay, he will be in position to be very important in a few years when Nelsons starts slowing down. Thompson drafted Adams this year. Cobb lost all leverage right then and there. IMO.

This exact thought is why I believed Cobb would be gone after this year. He is more valuable to another team. Cobb says all the right thing. He acts like a team player. Jordy signed the first deal put on the table when he had 1 year left on his rookie contract. Jones on the other hand thought he was worth more, and is now in Oakland getting the beatdown of a lifetime... While Jordy is making 10mil/yr breaking records on his way to the big show...

I dont give Cobbs flash much value. He makes those catches look good:) But a guy 4 inches taller, and 20 pounds bigger doesnt have to lay out like superman to catch some of those balls. Chicago has it right, throwing it to a gang of giants. But a guy like Cobb is a great change up, to move around slicing and dicing.
And his blue eyes might be worth a bucket of cherries, but nobody sees them with his helmet on during the game. lol

Dont get me wrong, I like Cobb. I also like Adams and Janis.....

Members online

Latest posts