Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Rodgers would give GB about $15 mil in additional cap space immediately. That means they could demand a premium player in any deal. The real enticement is draft picks. In that case, I wouldn't send him to Denver, ending with first round picks in the 20s. Send him to the Texans. He'll still give them at least 6 to 8 wins, but the picks should be more attractive.
My guess is there will be a new contract if that happens and so they cannot just send him anywhere. He would have to agree. Which even if there was no new contract; he could obviously make things so difficult as not to happen.

Reaction score
Unless the offers for Rodgers will drop substantially after this season, there really isn't a good reason to trade him now.

The lion's share of the return would be draft capital in the 2022 draft and beyond. That means that most of what they would get back does them no good in 2021.

So why give him to another team now? If you're confident that you could get a haul for him next off-season, just wait until then. That way you leave open the possibility of getting what the FO seems to ultimately want: Rodgers playing for them in 2021, and then bringing them a giant haul in a trade.
Yes. In addition. Why would we want to arm another competitor with the MVP of the league. We would be literally paying for Rodgers to play for our competitor for 1 and 1/2 seasons.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. In addition. Why would we want to arm another competitor with the MVP of the league. We would be literally paying for Rodgers to play for our competitor for 1 and 1/2 seasons.
I would not mind that if it was a good trade for us. I'm not sure we can just choose. It will be part of the equation.

Reaction score
My guess is there will be a new contract if that happens and so they cannot just send him anywhere. He would have to agree. Which even if there was no new contract; he could obviously make things so difficult as not to happen.
I think you hit it on the head. Rodgers isn’t interested in making anything easy or profitable for us. He’s expressing his displeasure over moves we made (or didn’t make) in FA and coaching over 14 seasons. He’s expressed that very clearly on multiple occasions.

Rodgers wants a “pound of flesh”.

Its just my opinion, but I think GB is actually hoping Rodgers will come to his good senses and take our reasonable offer (which my guess is restructure..a 2 year, league high, guaranteed deal with another year on the back so we can both recoup draft capital in a trade and spread the additional cap hit some).
Rodgers alternative is losing tens of millions in mandatory fines and salaries $$ to sit out 2021. Only to lose his accrued season and be right back where he started.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2. The longer I wait on a trade or no trade decision the more the organization gets to see of the potential replacement of said QB. Also the more the interested party get to see their QB options. I believe this is a win-win.
3. The longer I wait on a trade the less time the QB has to get acclimated to his new coaches, teammates and playbook. This could cost said team a win or two early in the season which could lead to missing the play offs making their draft capital more valuable.
I strongly agree with these 2. Nicely said. The first bullet point is of little to no consequence. Teams will fight over Rodgers, he’s a generational QB with 5 years in him
4. I never would have drafted a QB on Day 1 or 2 in the last 2 drafts.
We’ll yeah thats easier to say now that we are here. But honestly, let me ask you this.. if Trevor Lawrence slips outside the top #10.. you wouldn’t trade up to say.. #13 overall. The point I’m making is not that he’s a #13 overall.. it’s that you would definitely both move up to grab a QB earlier on Day 1 AND before you necessarily needed him if the price was too good to pass up (I think they had Love in the #15-#24 overall range on their board)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You said most of what they get for him would do no good in 2021. I don’t think that’sa certainly. That’s all.

Ah ok. Yeah I guess a move could mean getting veterans back but if they trade Rodgers I think the lions share of the desired compensation will be draft capital. I doubt they will expect to be a contender with a first year Jordan Love.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oldschool, GB was in the NFCCG each of the last 2 years making their draft position in the back end of each round. I would have drafted the way they did this year in the previous draft for the present not the future. I not only hated the Love pick but Dillon and Degurra also. I was very happy with this past draft. Lawrence and Love are apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.