Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe they’d already offered what our FO thinks is middle ground or the best of both worlds. A contract that amounts to a 1-2 year addition.. and then going with Love.
We know they’ve made him an offer to be one of the highest paid QB’s. I’m pretty sure it was at least 2 years plus an extra fluff year to recoup some trade value.
No Bueno
No bueno either way. One of the rare cases when no news is bad news.

And I can get why $500k wouldn't be a big thing to Daddy Warbucks Rodgers, but with the offer to get him to around $40M/year, that's in the area of $10 mil/year he's forgoing. Nobody is that rich. Maybe that stupid, but not that rich.

Reaction score
No bueno either way. One of the rare cases when no news is bad news.

And I can get why $500k wouldn't be a big thing to Daddy Warbucks Rodgers, but with the offer to get him to around $40M/year, that's in the area of $10 mil/year he's forgoing. Nobody is that rich. Maybe that stupid, but not that rich.
Yeah I agree. While some may say that’s nothing to Rodgers, it’s about to get much, much worse starting July 27. Mandatory, league wide daily fines at the tune of $50,000 every day regardless of injury designation or not. Thats $Millions$ in extracurricular, league imposed fines before the first kickoff even starts.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg and Rodgers corner has to recognize this. His agents job is now on the line also, they best be on top of this daily. Nobody loses $40,000,000 and doesn’t care. His butt is in a major sling if he doesn’t resolve this pronto. It’s all fun n games until it’s not.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. While some may say that’s nothing to Rodgers, it’s about to get much, much worse starting July 27. Mandatory, league wide daily fines at the tune of $50,000 every day regardless of injury designation or not. Thats $Millions$ in extracurricular, league imposed fines before the first kickoff even starts.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg and Rodgers corner has to recognize this. His agents job is now on the line also, they best be on top of this daily. Nobody loses $40,000,000 and doesn’t care. His butt is in a major sling if he doesn’t resolve this pronto. It’s all fun n games until it’s not.

If Rodgers get to the point of foregoing that money then both he and the Packers have failed. Any scenario that has Rodgers sitting out the season is a scenario in which the Packers front office has failed. Reenacting the Lions with Barry Sanders/Calvin Johnson isn’t a good thing. Rodgers loses money and Packers get pushed back years in their hunt for a Super Bowl

Reaction score
If Rodgers get to the point of foregoing that money then both he and the Packers have failed. Any scenario that has Rodgers sitting out the season is a scenario in which the Packers front office has failed. Reenacting the Lions with Barry Sanders/Calvin Johnson isn’t a good thing. Rodgers loses money and Packers get pushed back years in their hunt for a Super Bowl
I disagree with that statement and I believe Packer fans are upset because of the current situation and it’s just frustrating.

But in reality, what’s to say Rodgers didn’t do this anyway, regardless of the Love selection. Meaning what if the FO drafted at QB this year instead?

I have to remind everyone that Aaron Rodgers has a difficult time meshing with people and that’s been a fact since forever. He’s at least 50%+ of the problem and his demeanor and attitude towards others over years has resulted in repeated confrontation. In short, this is the result when you rub people wrong, eventually you come across someone who punches you in the nose (figuratively speaking).

This notion that GB cant survive without Rodgers is bordering on ridiculousness. The Packers will take a small step backwards and redirect and build their team around Jordan Love or whomever they feel is a good fit. Gutenkunst has already shown to be proficient on drafting and FA signings. If there is even a 25% chance that he hit on Love? He’ll hit an absolute Grand slam Barry Bonds style. Add to that between $20mil-$35mil+ more to spend for 3 seasons?? That’s a chunk!

In the meantime. Looking around at this current Roster? We are better at CB
(2-draft picks) + at RB, similar at OL,
+ at ILB (Campbell) similar at OLB,
similar at DT, + at TE (Deguara) better at WR (Amari and Funchess), similar at Safety and who knows at ST with major changes, but it wouldn’t be a stretch to improve on ST, particularly if Amari plays at PR, he’s Tyler Ervin qualified.

ok Sure.. we’d love to have Rodgers 1-2 more seasons.. but HE said NO! It’s 100% his choice, nobody ran him off, he’s running himself off at minimum 1-2 seasons premature for failure to take a league high offer out of pure spite.

We’re about to find out if he decides take his choice and eat $40+ million in salary bonus and league fines this season. Again 100% his choice. I used to defend him for being smart, we’ll see if I was wrong in several weeks.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with that statement and I believe Packer fans are upset because of the current situation and it’s just frustrating.

But in reality, what’s to say Rodgers didn’t do this anyway, regardless of the Love selection. Meaning what if the FO drafted at QB this year instead?

I have to remind everyone that Aaron Rodgers has a difficult time meshing with people and that’s been a fact since forever. He’s at least 50%+ of the problem and his demeanor and attitude towards others over years has resulted in repeated confrontation. In short, this is the result when you rub people wrong, eventually you come across someone who punches you in the nose (figuratively speaking).

This notion that GB cant survive without Rodgers is bordering on ridiculousness. The Packers will take a small step backwards and redirect and build their team around Jordan Love or whomever they feel is a good fit. Gutenkunst has already shown to be proficient on drafting and FA signings. If there is even a 25% chance that he hit on Love? He’ll hit an absolute Grand slam Barry Bonds style. Add to that between $20mil-$35mil+ more to spend for 3 seasons?? That’s a chunk!

In the meantime. Looking around at this current Roster? We are better at CB
(2-draft picks) + at RB, similar at OL,
+ at ILB (Campbell) similar at OLB,
similar at DT, + at TE (Deguara) better at WR (Amari and Funchess), similar at Safety and who knows at ST with major changes, but it wouldn’t be a stretch to improve on ST, particularly if Amari plays at PR, he’s better than Cobb returning imo

ok Sure.. we’d love to have Rodgers 1-2 more seasons.. but HE said NO! It’s 100% his choice, nobody ran him off, he’s running himself off at minimum 1-2 seasons premature for failure to take a league high offer out of pure spite.

We’re about to find out if he decides take your path and eat $40+ million in salary bonus and league fines this season. Again 100% his choice.

Can you clarify what it is that i said you disagree with? Do you think playing Love instead of Rodgers at QB will be seamless or only take a year or two to get to league mvp level? Or do you think it’s better for the Packers to get money back from Rodgers rather than good players and draft picks?

Reaction score
Can you clarify what it is that i said you disagree with? Do you think playing Love instead of Rodgers at QB will be seamless or only take a year or two to get to league mvp level? Or do you think it’s better for the Packers to get money back from Rodgers rather than good players and draft picks?
No. I didn’t say any of that. If you truly reread my post you’ll say I’d be good with Rodgers playing further. Let’s start there.
This is a very direct question because there are only 3 outcomes of Aaron Rodgers somehow miraculously plays in 2021. It’s not a trick, it is however, a matter of valid reasoning.

Do you believe Rodgers:
A.Improves on his 2020 performance

B.Nearly duplicates his 2020 performance

C.Regresses some from 2020?

Hang with me for a second you don’t even need to agree with me. Just pick a letter and give me more detail on to what degree YOU project he improves or diminished etc..

Can you clarify what it is that i said you disagree with?

So I don’t keep you in suspense..
I specifically disagree with our FO being wrong if Aaron decided to forgo playing in 2021, I don’t think the health needle of our FO moves up and down with each Aaron Rodgers move like you do. Furthermore it’s my belief that the GBP had willfully initiated plans for life after Rodgers and I’m 100% sure they felt the GBP could still produce at a high level post Rodgers. The only thing that has changed that factors from previous plans is moving on from Rodgers 1 year earlier than anticipated or possibly losing extra acquired draft picks. TBD.
I actually somewhat agree with you in general. Thus note no large red ❌ on your previous post sir.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I didn’t say any of that. If you truly reread my post you’ll say I’d be good with Rodgers playing further. Let’s start there.
This is a very direct question because there are only 3 outcomes of Aaron Rodgers somehow miraculously plays in 2021. It’s not a trick, it is however, a matter of valid reasoning.

Do you believe Rodgers:
A.Improves on his 2020 performance

B.Nearly duplicates his 2020 performance

C.Regresses some from 2020?

Hang with me for a second you don’t even need to agree with me. Just pick a letter and give me more detail on to what degree YOU project he improves or diminished etc..

Can you clarify what it is that i said you disagree with?

So I don’t keep you in suspense..
I specifically disagree with our FO being wrong if Aaron decided to forgo playing in 2021, I don’t think the health needle of our FO moves up and down with each Aaron Rodgers move like you do. Furthermore it’s my belief that the GBP had willfully initiated plans for life after Rodgers and I’m 100% sure they felt the GBP could still produce at a high level post Rodgers. The only thing that has changed that factors from previous plans is moving on from Rodgers 1 year earlier than anticipated or possibly losing extra acquired draft picks. TBD.
I actually somewhat agree with you in general. Thus note no large red ❌ on your previous post sir.

Whether you’re okay with moving on from Rodgers has nothing to do with the Packers foregoing the assets a Rodgers trade would bring in. The monetary savings of the Packers turning into the Lions/Sanders/Johnson will not be able to buy the assets that trading Rodgers would bring in. It would simply be the FO acting like middle schoolers to screw over someone they don’t like rather than improving the team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would simply be the FO acting like middle schoolers to screw over someone they don’t like rather than improving the team.
I just don't believe that would happen. i.e., act like children. I have not heard of a bona fide offer. He isn't the highest paid player right now, but he was when the contract was signed. They want him to play for The Pack. So do I. Maybe you think they should have anticipated this problem. I don't think they thought there was a problem. I didn't. But right now he is not in camp. I would like to know what he wants. That does not mean I want to give it to him. The near term state of the franchise is at stake. Everyone knows it. It is not the time to just do something so the situation will go away. It does not seem that Rodgers is in any kind of a hurry. And the ball is in his court as far as I can tell. Actually, I could see him as the vindictive one if it comes to that. I agree that we can't just release him.

Reaction score
Whether you’re okay with moving on from Rodgers has nothing to do with the Packers foregoing the assets a Rodgers trade would bring in. The monetary savings of the Packers turning into the Lions/Sanders/Johnson will not be able to buy the assets that trading Rodgers would bring in. It would simply be the FO acting like middle schoolers to screw over someone they don’t like rather than improving the team.
Ok. You’re talking to yourself now Sunshine. I never said twice now I’m fine with Rodgers but you’re too busy trying to prove your point.
I was being respectful and asking a simple question that you won’t answer. I think you’re actually more afraid you could end up being wrong about our FO than losing Rodgers. That’s 2 responses in a row that were either falsely “leading” or just completely ignoring my post altogether. It’s like I’m having a 1 way conversation and I’m not really interested in that.

imo I think you’re letting your frustration get the best of you in the matter of our FO. It’s not nearly as bad as you make it out to be that’s just unfounded fear gripping you.
I’m just simply debating with you is all and you’re so busy trying to press your opinion on the matter that you can’t have a fair debate. (Kinda wildly throwing remarks out there to be heard)
That tells me you’re really not interested in being open to how others view the matter. Just don’t respond next time to a post. Just arbitrarily throw your opinion out there without “replying”. It’ll Save everyone the time and aggravation!

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. You’re talking to yourself now Sunshine. I never said twice now I’m fine with Rodgers but you’re too busy trying to prove your point.
I was being respectful and asking a simple question that you won’t answer. I think you’re actually more afraid you could end up being wrong about our FO than losing Rodgers. That’s 2 responses in a row that were either falsely “leading” or just completely ignoring my post altogether. It’s like I’m having a 1 way conversation and I’m not really interested in that.

imo I think you’re letting your frustration get the best of you in the matter of our FO. It’s not nearly as bad as you make it out to be that’s just unfounded fear gripping you.
I’m just simply debating with you is all and you’re so busy trying to press your opinion on the matter that you can’t have a fair debate. (Kinda wildly throwing remarks out there to be heard)
That tells me you’re really not interested in being open to how others view the matter. Just don’t respond next time to a post. Just arbitrarily throw your opinion out there without “replying”. It’ll Save everyone the time and aggravation!

Can we sticky this somewhere for others to reference?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You raise a good point. Gluten's unwillingness to trade Rodgers is treating spite with spite. Both sides are dug in. Rodgers wants out of GB and the best way to do that is trade him for a substantial amount of draft capital. Instead, we have Rodgers saying, "I'm gonna make you suffer and look foolish" with Gluten saying "I'm gonna make you suffer and look foolish too."

Whi wins? No one. Who loses? Everyone, unless you count vengeance as a victory.

Gluten should be doing all he can to improve this team. He's not. Who suffers? The fans.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's just nuts to throw away that money, but hey, how many mansions do you really need? Then other thing that bothers me is that Rodgers is losing camp time. That may seem unimportant for a 16 year veteran but every year players change, philosophy gets tweaked, plays are added and dropped. There's certainly value in getting to know your teammates before September rolls around.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You raise a good point. Gluten's unwillingness to trade Rodgers is treating spite with spite. Both sides are dug in. Rodgers wants out of GB and the best way to do that is trade him for a substantial amount of draft capital. Instead, we have Rodgers saying, "I'm gonna make you suffer and look foolish" with Gluten saying "I'm gonna make you suffer and look foolish too."

Gluten should be doing all he can to improve this team. He's not. Who suffers? The fans.

Agreed, which is why awhile ago I said Gute and Co. needed to just simply ask Rodgers are you done with us in Green Bay under this contract? If his answer is yes, you publically release a statement acknowledging and honoring all which Aaron has done for Green Bay the team, organization and even the town - but unfortunately he has informed the organization that his time has come to a conclusion here and we will begin handling calls for the first ballot HOF QB at this time; pursuing only the ones which properly value Aaron and all which he provides a team under center - which is unrivaled in our opinion at this time.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Unless the offers for Rodgers will drop substantially after this season, there really isn't a good reason to trade him now.

The lion's share of the return would be draft capital in the 2022 draft and beyond. That means that most of what they would get back does them no good in 2021.

So why give him to another team now? If you're confident that you could get a haul for him next off-season, just wait until then. That way you leave open the possibility of getting what the FO seems to ultimately want: Rodgers playing for them in 2021, and then bringing them a giant haul in a trade.

Reaction score
Can we sticky this somewhere for others to reference?
Yes sir. You have my permission :tup:

Gluten should be doing all he can to improve this team. He's not. Who suffers? The fans
Or maybe they’ve already discussed a trade option and Aaron is disagreeable. Maybe they’ve already discussed a short extension and.. Aaron is…. disagreeable.
Maybe they just want him to come back and play but Aaron is…. disagreeable.

So what are they supposed to do if Aaron just disagrees with everything?

Exactly how is Gutenkunst acting with vengeance in these scenarios.
He’s likely offered him $75mil guaranteed. Is that vengeance??
He wants Rodgers to finish his commitments.. is that vengeance?
With enemies like Gutey, Rodgers doesn’t need friends!

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the offers for Rodgers will drop substantially after this season, there really isn't a good reason to trade him now.

The lion's share of the return would be draft capital in the 2022 draft and beyond. That means that most of what they would get back does them no good in 2021.

So why give him to another team now? If you're confident that you could get a haul for him next off-season, just wait until then. That way you leave open the possibility of getting what the FO seems to ultimately want: Rodgers playing for them in 2021, and then bringing them a giant haul in a trade.

I think everyone advocating for a trade is assuming the Packers will get a decent haul. I don’t see the Broncos or some other team coming in with a low-ball offer rather than pushing for a Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should have traded Rodgers before the draft if they had an idea of him not wanting to play for the team anymore. It doesn't make any sense now as it wouldn't improve the 2021 roster and the draft picks next year would most likely be closer to the end of each round.

It's just nuts to throw away that money, but hey, how many mansions do you really need? Then other thing that bothers me is that Rodgers is losing camp time. That may seem unimportant for a 16 year veteran but every year players change, philosophy gets tweaked, plays are added and dropped. There's certainly value in getting to know your teammates before September rolls around.

Rodgers has only missed some OTA practices and minicamp so far. That isn't important by any means in my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should have traded Rodgers before the draft if they had an idea of him not wanting to play for the team anymore. It doesn't make any sense now as it wouldn't improve the 2021 roster and the draft picks next year would most likely be closer to the end of each round.

Which is why I think Rodgers purposefully let everything hit the fan the night of and after...he wanted to screw the Packers as he feels they screwed him. Just a grown manchild vs an organization that didn't bow knee to their QB or at minimum communicate with him better.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were the GM.
1. I would want everyone to believe I do not want to trade my QB. Human nature is if a team thinks you want to trade someone they will offer less than if they feel they need to convince you to trade him.
2. The longer I wait on a trade or no trade decision the more the organization gets to see of the potential replacement of said QB. Also the more the interested party get to see their QB options. I believe this is a win-win.
3. The longer I wait on a trade the less time the QB has to get acclimated to his new coaches, teammates and playbook. This could cost said team a win or two early in the season which could lead to missing the play offs making their draft capital more valuable.
4. I never would have drafted a QB on Day 1 or 2 in the last 2 drafts.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I think Rodgers purposefully let everything hit the fan the night of and after...he wanted to screw the Packers as he feels they screwed him. Just a grown manchild vs an organization that didn't bow knee to their QB or at minimum communicate with him better.

Don't hold back! Rodgers obviously isn't happy with how Mark Murphy has changed the organization over the last few years but I'm not sure I think he's trying to screw them. Nothing changed between the end of last season and right before the draft and he was certainly not ******** them when he was playing at an MVP-level.

Now, do I think Rodgers probably feels entitled and is used to getting his way? Absolutely! But that's what you get when you treat athletes with the reverence us sports fans give them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't hold back! Rodgers obviously isn't happy with how Mark Murphy has changed the organization over the last few years but I'm not sure I think he's trying to screw them. Nothing changed between the end of last season and right before the draft and he was certainly not ******** them when he was playing at an MVP-level.

Now, do I think Rodgers probably feels entitled and is used to getting his way? Absolutely! But that's what you get when you treat athletes with the reverence us sports fans give them.

If Rodgers truly was done in Green Bay and wanted the most peaceful departure while not ******** the organization he makes it very clear well before the draft...Rodgers is an insanely gifted football player and is no idiot - his actions always are with thought and intent behind them.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes sir. You have my permission :tup:

Or maybe they’ve already discussed a trade option and Aaron is disagreeable. Maybe they’ve already discussed a short extension and.. Aaron is…. disagreeable.
Maybe they just want him to come back and play but Aaron is…. disagreeable.

So what are they supposed to do if Aaron just disagrees with everything?

Exactly how is Gutenkunst acting with vengeance in these scenarios.
He’s likely offered him $75mil guaranteed. Is that vengeance??
He wants Rodgers to finish his commitments.. is that vengeance?
With enemies like Gutey, Rodgers doesn’t need friends!
Yeah vengeance was the wrong word to describe Gluten, although I do think it applies to Rodgers. Gluten messed things up with the 2020 draft. Even so, Rodgers is overreacting. Time to call it even and move on.

And yeah, if Rodgers disagrees with everything and won't negotiate himself, there's nothing to be done. Does he have a say in any trade scenario? The other team would have to pick up his contract, but I don't think Rodgers can dictate where he goes in a trade.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think everyone advocating for a trade is assuming the Packers will get a decent haul. I don’t see the Broncos or some other team coming in with a low-ball offer rather than pushing for a Super Bowl.

I don't see the relevance to what I said?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said most of what they get for him would do no good in 2021. I don’t think that’sa certainly. That’s all.
Trading Rodgers would give GB about $15 mil in additional cap space immediately. That means they could demand a premium player in any deal. The real enticement is draft picks. In that case, I wouldn't send him to Denver, ending with first round picks in the 20s. Send him to the Texans. He'll still give them at least 6 to 8 wins, but the picks should be more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts