Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

• Detroit

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Minny

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Chicago

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
A couple of points. First, I think the Packers are better than the Broncos. For whatever reason some people think that when you talk about the good aspects of another team, you're saying the other team is better than the Packers (that's not directed at you, just at those that might also read this).

Second, there aren't really a lot of teams that have proven able to stop Von Miller coming off the edge and Ware is pretty much the same way at this point. I honestly think that most offenses won't be able to stop the Bronco's edge rushers without help and that handicaps the offense. Third, I'm not sure how many receivers won one-on-one battles. Bridgewater threw 41 passes for 269 yards and Diggs was the leading receiver with 87 yards so I'm not sure how many corners were beaten that badly, especially when the number one concern with playing the Vikings is stopping AD, which the Broncos did (with the exception of one play which is basically just Peterson being Peterson).

Finally, and this is what I don't understand, why is everyone so concerned with Manning's arm strength? The Patriots just won the Super Bowl with Brady not throwing the ball more than 15 yards downfield. Now, the Pats have Gronk to compensate but Thomas is really good for the Broncos and the Bronco's defense is MUCH better than the Pat's D was last year. Manning's arm strength at this point is not appreciably worse than Brady's.
Denver is still in the process of working out their offense. This is Kubiaks and Dennison's first year. Once they figure it out I think their offense will be were it left off last year.

Bridgewater did a great job. And that's not a homer statement. He was pressured 19 times and sacked 7, yet still managed to put together a 92.4 QB rating. Higher than any other QB that played the Broncos so far this year.

I didn't see anything wrong with Manning and his supposed weak arm. He didn't have any real long pass attempts mostly because he didn't have the time. He did have one 47 yard but I didn't see it.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver is still in the process of working out their offense. This is Kubiaks and Dennison's first year. Once they figure it out I think their offense will be were it left off last year.

Bridgewater did a great job. And that's not a homer statement. He was pressured 19 times and sacked 7, yet still managed to put together a 92.4 QB rating. Higher than any other QB that played the Broncos so far this year.

I didn't see anything wrong with Manning and his supposed weak arm. He didn't have any real long pass attempts mostly because he didn't have the time. He did have one 47 yard but I didn't see it.

Did you guys even watch the game. Mannings passes looked off all game. I was talking to two non Packer fans today who said the exact same thing. The two interceptions he threw were weak and poorly thrown balls. Even the deeper passes he completed were rainbows.

The comparison to Brady is laughable. Brady is averaging 2 full yards per attempt more than Manning. That is a huge difference. Manning has never had a strong arm but as it has gotten weaker his accuracy has went down as well. Not only that his td to int rate is about 1 to 1.

Also to sunshine I didnt say the Broncos were bad but I also dont think they are special. I have been wrong before but I have seen a couple of their games and just havent been overly impressed. I just think that offense is a huge weakness. They are 29th in yards per rush (and that is with a 72 yarder, take that away and it is at 2.7 ypc) and they are only ahead of two teams in yards per pass attempt. I think those numbers back up what I have seen in their offense.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings make a surprise move and trade Gerald Hodges for a 6th pick and center that was about to be waived by the 49ers. Strange move. Kendricks was going to start over Hodges but he still seemed like good depth. Some on this board and some at pff really liked Hodges. The Vikings must not have felt the same

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you guys even watch the game. Mannings passes looked off all game. I was talking to two non Packer fans today who said the exact same thing. The two interceptions he threw were weak and poorly thrown balls. Even the deeper passes he completed were rainbows.

The comparison to Brady is laughable. Brady is averaging 2 full yards per attempt more than Manning. That is a huge difference. Manning has never had a strong arm but as it has gotten weaker his accuracy has went down as well. Not only that his td to int rate is about 1 to 1.

Also to sunshine I didnt say the Broncos were bad but I also dont think they are special. I have been wrong before but I have seen a couple of their games and just havent been overly impressed. I just think that offense is a huge weakness. They are 29th in yards per rush (and that is with a 72 yarder, take that away and it is at 2.7 ypc) and they are only ahead of two teams in yards per pass attempt. I think those numbers back up what I have seen in their offense.

I never said, nor attempted to imply, that Manning or the Denver offense was as good as the Patriot's offense. I was simply pointing out that the Pats offense doesn't have Brady throw the ball downfield so Manning's lack of deep ball doesn't have to matter (if the Broncos design their offense correctly). You point out that Brady's yards per attempt is 2 yards higher but keep in mind that the Pats have Gronk who is great at adding yards after the catch and the Pats offense is designed to get Edelman in space. When you look at the yards in the air per attempt the difference is much less. Brady's passes travel an average of 4.5 yards in the air while Manning's passes travel an average of 3.98 yards in the air per attempt (numbers courtesy of PFF).

I think the biggest issue with the Broncos offense is that it's new and that Manning isn't as sure of where everyone is on every play. One stat that backs that up is that Peyton Manning really isn't being pressured on any more of his dropbacks than he ususally is; in 2014 he faced pressure on 21.5% of his dropbacks and so far this year he's been pressured on 22.7%. However, in 2014 he was only sacked on 12.1% of his dropbacks while that number has rocketed to 22.7% this year. That seems to indicate that he doesn't know where to go with the ball as quickly since I don't think anyone would argue that he was mobile last year. That should improve as everyone gets more comfortable with the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

That is alarming for the rest of the league, especially taking into consideration how scary the Broncos offense looked during their playoff loss to the Colts.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, Detroit should dump Matthew Stafford, he's causing them to lose footall games bad. I wonder if Jim Caldwell is going to urge Mayhew to make a trade for RG3 and stick him in blue and silver?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Barring an injury to AR, nobody in the North is good enough to catch us. That being said, the Vikings appear to be the only team who will stay close.

Maybe the Bears and Lions should swap QB's? Give them both a fresh start. :coffee:

I see the Bears drafting one of the top 3 QB's in the draft this year, probably Cook if he is there when they pick, riding out Cutler's contract anchor one final year and be back to try and compete with Cook in 2017.

The Lions, that is just one hot mess they have going there.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought it’d be the Lions but they’ve quickly gone from competing for the division to competing for the first pick in the 2016 draft. I know they lost Suh and Fairley, even so I’m surprised the Lions’ D has fallen so far so fast. According to nlf.com stats, they finished third in the league last year in scoring D surrendering 17.6 ppg. It’s only five games in but they have given up 10 more ppg. Through 4 games the Vikings D is surrendering 18.2 ppg – IMO their D is legit and they’re clearly the biggest challenge in the division but after 5 games (4 for the Vikings) the Packers have a 2.5 game lead.
I see the Bears drafting one of the top 3 QB's in the draft this year, probably Cook if he is there when they pick, riding out Cutler's contract anchor one final year and be back to try and compete with Cook in 2017.
According to rotoworld Cutler’s contract contained no signing bonus, but $54M was guaranteed in the deal he signed before the 2014 season. According to overthecap.com if the Bears cut Cutler after this season it will result in $13M dead money but because his cap number for 2016 is $17M that will result in a $4M cap savings. If they wait until after the 2016 season overthecap says the Bears would have $2M in dead money and $14M in cap savings.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
According to overthecap.com if the Bears cut Cutler after this season it will result in $13M dead money but because his cap number for 2016 is $17M that will result in a $4M cap savings. If they wait until after the 2016 season overthecap says the Bears would have $2M in dead money and $14M in cap savings.

This is why I envision Cutler with the Bears through next year. He will either be starting or carrying a clipboard watching their #1 pick getting ready for the 2017 Season.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to rotoworld Cutler’s contract contained no signing bonus, but $54M was guaranteed in the deal he signed before the 2014 season. According to overthecap.com if the Bears cut Cutler after this season it will result in $13M dead money but because his cap number for 2016 is $17M that will result in a $4M cap savings. If they wait until after the 2016 season overthecap says the Bears would have $2M in dead money and $14M in cap savings.

The Bears would have to release or trade Cutler before the third day of the 2016 league year though because otherwise the remaining $6 million of his salary for next season would be fully guaranteed. I don't see that happening nearly two months before the draft if they don't end up with the first overall pick.

H

HardRightEdge

As far as Peyton Manning is concerned the "figuring out" is putting the offense into his hands in no-huddle.

I did happen to watch about a quarter's worth of the Denver/Oakland game. Manning's velocity, which has been gradually eroding since the neck injury, has progressed to "very poor". It has been particularly noticeable in cold weather the last 2 seasons. Hand numbness perhaps?

It will be interesting to see if his issues have progressed past the point where intelligence, experience, guile and gumption can bail him out. And when the weather gets cold?

D

Deleted member 6794

It will be interesting to see if his issues have progressed past the point where intelligence, experience, guile and gumption can bail him out. And when the weather gets cold?

The only thing bailing Peyton out at the moment is the Broncos defense.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Chicago is our biggest concern within our division, they're 2 and 3 now and looking a little better. Detroit is finished and the Vikes still need to prove something to me.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is still being discussed? There is no threat to the Packers within in the division. None, including the Vikings. Sorry Raptorman but until the Vikings actually do something, everything you say is just typical Viking fan hot air. By the way by do something I mean, win the division until that happens there is no reason for a Viking fan to be talking any kind of smack.

The only threat to the Packers in the division are the Packers. Period end of story.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts