When Will We See Amari Rodgers?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has not looked like he has the level of explosiveness that was hoped for by fans; when he's had the ball I haven't seen anything exciting out of him or anything that would lead a defender to having any issues tackling him. I'm sure he'll improve over time but he's just playing slow right now.

He has only one catch and 6 times he touched the ball on punt team. Even a fan or a critic would struggle to have much merit IMO establishing takeaways to his NFL projection or skills displayed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has only one catch and 6 times he touched the ball on punt team. Even a fan or a critic would struggle to have much merit IMO establishing takeaways to his NFL projection or skills displayed.

He hasn't looked very explosive any of the times I've seen him, no matter how few that's been. That's literally all I have to go on. As I said, I'm sure it will improve, but what else would you like me to go on?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think folks need to wait until we see him flesh out what he is, which sadly isn't happening this year - when Cobb got added essentially this is a red shirt year for him in many ways. Beneficial for sure, but we won't get any real sense of what he may be unless more "won't speak of it" occurs to the roster.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The gunners on Cincy's punt team were basically going unblocked to the ball. Another + for special teams.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon had 4 receptions as well (Jones) but Jones couldn’t do anything with his sadly only getting 6 yards. Doesn’t change your point at all but crazy how unproductive those four receptions were.
Overall, aside from Jones' two TDs, I think Dillon is quietly outplaying him so far this year. Their YPC are identical and Dillon has been better as a receiver.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats do not mean poop. Dillon was WIDE OPEN on his 2 catches in the flat. Teams had not seen him used that way before. It was a great change of pace offensive set. When Jones went to the flat they were ready. Give me Dillon pounding on the ground all day long and Give me Jones in open space all day and all night long.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari has been pretty limited so far. That being said - where is this explosive speed that he possesses? He has looked very tentative, probably in the process of learning the offense.

Zunder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats do not mean poop. Dillon was WIDE OPEN on his 2 catches in the flat. Teams had not seen him used that way before. It was a great change of pace offensive set at least that's what the bookmakers of captaingambling.com thought when we look at the betting odds. When Jones went to the flat they were ready. Give me Dillon pounding on the ground all day long and Give me Jones in open space all day and all night long.
I agree. Never have been a great fan of Dillon but he convinced me more and more in the last games. I'll have an eye on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can't quite understand some peoples expectations. Amari was a mid 3rd round pick and I doubt that the Packers were expecting much from him this season. Those pointing to Cobb being the reason that he isn't getting more opportunities, on a 4-1 team, need to convince me why they think Amari is the better option. Keeping in mind that Cobb has only played 36% of the Offensive snaps.

Amari Rodgers will get his chance to prove himself, but that isn't happening until he earns his way up the depth chart or those ahead of him get injured or are no longer on the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't quite understand some peoples expectations. Amari was a mid 3rd round pick and I doubt that the Packers were expecting much from him this season. Those pointing to Cobb being the reason that he isn't getting more opportunities, on a 4-1 team, need to convince me why they think Amari is the better option. Keeping in mind that Cobb has only played 36% of the Offensive snaps.

Amari Rodgers will get his chance to prove himself, but that isn't happening until he earns his way up the depth chart or those ahead of him get injured or are no longer on the team.

It would have been unrealistic to expect Rodgers to put up impressive numbers in his rookie season but there was reason to believe he would be more involved in the offense than having only two receptions over the first six games.

With that being said he had a nice play for a first down against the Bears yesterday.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would have been unrealistic to expect Rodgers to put up impressive numbers in his rookie season but there was reason to believe he would be more involved in the offense than having only two receptions over the first six games.
I am not too concerned with his future playing time in Green Bay. He is a 3rd round rookie, 6 games in and playing in somewhat of a complicated offense, with a highly cognitive QB. Besides MVS the WR group has been able to stay pretty healthy and keep Amari on the bench. I also think with the Patchwork OL, MLF has probably preferred to keep his veteran WR's in. They know the playbook better and most importantly, have established chemistry with AR.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not too concerned with his future playing time in Green Bay. He is a 3rd round rookie, 6 games in and playing in somewhat of a complicated offense, with a highly cognitive QB. Besides MVS the WR group has been able to stay pretty healthy and keep Amari on the bench. I also think with the Patchwork OL, MLF has probably preferred to keep his veteran WR's in. They know the playbook better and most importantly, have established chemistry with AR.

I'm not concerned about Rodgers' playing time in future seasons at this point either. I would have preferred the Packers to get more production out of their third round pick for this season though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the playbook is very likely going to be limited when you are missing Jenkins and Bakhtiari from the o line, I would expect Amari to get only one to two offensive touches per game moving forward even if he improves. The top three weapons on any team get the vast majority of touches. After Adams, Jones, Tonyan, Dillon and Cobb, there are few if any toches left over for other players. That's just the way the NFL normally works. Doesn't mean Amari is a disappointment; the other weapons are just better at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Doesn't mean Amari is a disappointment; the other weapons are just better at this point.
I would add that the other weapons also know the playbook, as well as some of their opponents. The learning curve for a Rookie, especially at a skilled position like WR in Green Bay, isn't just "run long, I'll find you."

Members online

Latest posts