When Will We See Amari Rodgers?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to one website he has played 24 offensive snaps this season - I don't know if that includes punts but will assume not. He had 7 snaps against the Steelers, all of which he was a decoy on jet sweeps. I assume that they will eventually give him the ball on one of those. I would at least give it to him once a game or there is no point to running the motion.

It would be good if Jason Vrable can identify one play that Rodgers has learned well enough to be a serious potential target for Aaron Rodgers. I am happy that they are working him in slowly, but it does seem a little slower than expected. Maybe Amari hasn't really put his nose into the playbook to warrant the extra snaps.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks tentative, or he has anyway to me. Even in his returns. He had one last week though he ran it more like he believe he should be out there and using his ability, not thinking and trying not to screw up.

I don't think it's anything more than confidence/mental for him at this point. I think he's working hard.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Acquiring Cobb was huge for many reasons. One of which being that the Packers aren't forced to rely on Amari right now. They can slowly bring him along, and he will learn from a really good slot guy who also happens to be his best friend.

I could see the Packers slowly giving him a little more work as the year goes along.

It's almost a given that Cobb won't be here next year, so I'm hoping Amari will be ready to get regular snaps by then.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a reception the first game of the season in his rookie year.
He is presently not the first option for his primary role in the offense (slot).

He is more and more active at times as the season progresses as we all expected. With MVS down we saw his snaps increase. However, until Cobb is not around - don't expect to see a TON of Rodgers. Amari's year to breakout is 2022.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking for a breakout year or tons of snaps, but wondering when LeFleur is going to find ways to work him into the offense. Amari is capable but we aren't getting much of a look at his skillset yet.

I am not calling for him to be thrown out there ***** nilly, but it seems like he could be out there running a few more routes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a lot like Kylin Hill - very capable, yet not needed unless depth chart changes more ahead of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

He is more and more active at times as the season progresses as we all expected. With MVS down we saw his snaps increase. However, until Cobb is not around - don't expect to see a TON of Rodgers. Amari's year to breakout is 2022.

Just for the record, Rodgers had his highest snap count in week 1 vs. the Saints with 15. The Packers losing that game in a blowout most likely was the main reason for it though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb keeps playing like he did; I don't think we will see a lot of Rodgers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb keeps playing like he did; I don't think we will see a lot of Rodgers.

Which some will argue is terrible given when we picked him, but so many incredibly fail to realize how valuable it is for a rookie to not HAVE to play vs being ABLE or READY to play. I see this greatly helping Amari long term

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari Rodgers has skills, just like Hill, but the BIG difference is that Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon are rocks at their position. The only "rock" that the Packers have at WR is Adams. MVS is a one-trick pony, despite what the media drummed up about his training camp. He needs to prove it. I love Lazard, think that he is turning into a great blocking WR, and could be a strong #3 WR. He isn't that yet. Cobb has done next to nothing save for this last game. That all sums up to the big difference between the WR and RB groups. The top two RBs are solid, but beyond Adams their is a sharp cliff down to the rest of the WRs. There is room to involve Rodgers more assuming that he's got his head in the playbook. Even if he doesn't, we know that he is very talented and I believe that he should be highlighted on a play or two each game to build his confidence and show what he's got.

My general feeling is that teams should let QBs ride the pine for at least a year, because it is a tough position to substitute in and out and to be good they need to know the playbook inside and out. Skill position players have so much more that they can offer at an earlier stage because they can get away with only knowing a few plays, subbing in and out when as their knowledge of the offense grows. So many people incredibly fail to realize the difference between forcing a rookie to be a starter before they are ready, and progressively acclimating them to the game. (You see - I can be passive aggressive too)

D

Deleted member 6794

Which some will argue is terrible given when we picked him, but so many incredibly fail to realize how valuable it is for a rookie to not HAVE to play vs being ABLE or READY to play. I see this greatly helping Amari long term

I agree with El Guapo that there would be a chance for Rodgers to receive significant playing time but it seems he hasn't been able to convince the coaching staff that he could present an upgrade over Cobb, MVS or Lazard at this point.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for with young players like Amari. If the Packers continue their injury avalanche, there may come a point in the near future where the team goes into rebuilding mode like a major league baseball team and plays the young guys. I hope that doesn't happen, but a few more key injuries and we could be seeing a lot of Amari and Jordan Love if the team is no longer competitive like the Niners were last year. For now, I'm sure glad Rodgers was able to convince people to get Cobb because Amari doesn't look ready yet to be thrown in there on a regular basis.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never expected to see Amari early. Cobb absolutely guaranteed that. Amari can definitely prove to be a weapon as he progresses, but he's not better than Cobb, MVS, or Lazard right now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the fact that the Packers generally try to work in rookies gradually. MOST of these rookies in the league are not ready to be starters without hurting the team on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Be careful what you wish for with young players like Amari. If the Packers continue their injury avalanche, there may come a point in the near future where the team goes into rebuilding mode like a major league baseball team and plays the young guys. I hope that doesn't happen, but a few more key injuries and we could be seeing a lot of Amari and Jordan Love if the team is no longer competitive like the Niners were last year. For now, I'm sure glad Rodgers was able to convince people to get Cobb because Amari doesn't look ready yet to be thrown in there on a regular basis.

The Packers are 4-1 and look extremely competitive to me. I wouldn't mind a third round pick contributing though.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to one website he has played 24 offensive snaps this season - I don't know if that includes punts but will assume not. He had 7 snaps against the Steelers, all of which he was a decoy on jet sweeps. I assume that they will eventually give him the ball on one of those. I would at least give it to him once a game or there is no point to running the motion.
I'm going to guess our other Rodgers has already written him off for not being Devante Adams.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which would be sad if true, since Rodgers isn't really spreading the ball around that much. Aaron Jones had the second-most catches yesterday. Cobb is definitely getting targets though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which would be sad if true, since Rodgers isn't really spreading the ball around that much. Aaron Jones had the second-most catches yesterday. Cobb is definitely getting targets though.
Dillon had 4 receptions as well (Jones) but Jones couldn’t do anything with his sadly only getting 6 yards. Doesn’t change your point at all but crazy how unproductive those four receptions were.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It would be good if Jason Vrable can identify one play that Rodgers has learned well enough to be a serious potential target for Aaron Rodgers. I am happy that they are working him in slowly, but it does seem a little slower than expected. Maybe Amari hasn't really put his nose into the playbook to warrant the extra snaps.

Maybe we can take a clue from Randall Cobb's rookie season:

In 2011, Cobb played in 15 games, starting zero. He had 25 receptions for 375 yards. His larger contributions were on special teams, scoring a touchdown on a kick return and another on a punt return.

If Rodgers can come anywhere close to duplicating those numbers, he'd be in good shape. To this point, he's been a non-factor, but he still has time to contribute.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari didn't do much in preseason and so far in the first five games. Probably can chalk that up to maybe he's not ready to consistently run routes that way other receivers need to. It would be nice to get him the ball in space on jet sweeps or screens. Given that he's not shown anything on punt returns however, maybe he's not ready for those opportunities as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Amari didn't do much in preseason and so far in the first five games. Probably can chalk that up to maybe he's not ready to consistently run routes that way other receivers need to. It would be nice to get him the ball in space on jet sweeps or screens. Given that he's not shown anything on punt returns however, maybe he's not ready for those opportunities as well.
Totally agree. Every rookie's readiness mentally is not the same. It's a growing process for all of them. Give them the time to grow. It's a process that requires patience.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OR for the role he is designed to be in our system simply isn't needed from him, as when it is needed Cobb is called on. He is firmly behind three active and four total WRs, and to be honest to a point even EQ when it comes to playbook familiarity. Folks are doing far too much "grading" on a WR that with the Cobb addition no one IMO logically expected to see more than half dozen snaps a game, IF even that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has not looked like he has the level of explosiveness that was hoped for by fans; when he's had the ball I haven't seen anything exciting out of him or anything that would lead a defender to having any issues tackling him. I'm sure he'll improve over time but he's just playing slow right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts