The Amari Rodgers Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It would be so much fun to run a simulation with Aikman at QB. Someone said it, might have been you, that would probably mean no Favre, no Rodgers.

When GB took Mandarich, the organization simply wasn't committed to winning IMO. Taking Aikman may have been the worst thing for all, including Aikman. That all changed when Harlan became president, brought in Wolf and we know the rest.
Yes, that was me that said that selecting Aikman would have totally changed the direction that the team took after 1989, the Butterfly effect. Definitely would have meant no Favre, probably no Wolf or Reggie White. If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't change what happened, since 5 years later, this team got onto a really good historical track!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I knew you would come around. See even you know it was good Karma to win those last 2 games.
The truth be known, that time period was what probably started me down the Rabbit Hole of thinking that sometimes a loss is better than a win. I distinctly remember everything about watching that game and how I was joking with my Dad that "this really the first time I can ever remember pulling for the Packers to lose."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that was me that said that selecting Aikman would have totally changed the direction that the team took after 1989, the Butterfly effect. Definitely would have meant no Favre, probably no Wolf or Reggie White. If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't change what happened, since 5 years later, this team got onto a really good historical track!
Yes you were the one to mention selecting Aikman might have altered the 31 years of HOF play at QB. And at the time the Packers took Mandarich, the organization wasn't committed to winning. Harlan changed it all for the better.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One has to remember that selecting Aikman alone did not turn around the Cowboys. It was really all a product of the landmark stupidity of the Vikings to do the Herschel Walker trade. Not only did they give the top three picks, but they traded five players to Dallas that would turn into draft picks if they got cut. Jimmy Johnson's intention the whole time was to cut each player to get the picks, so he got everything below which helped him eventually build his Super Bowl dynasty roster. So even if selecting Aikman wouldn't have ripped apart the space/time continuum....we still wouldn't have had the other pieces that made Aikman great.
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One has to remember that selecting Aikman alone did not turn around the Cowboys. It was really all a product of the landmark stupidity of the Vikings to do the Herschel Walker trade. Not only did they give the top three picks, but they traded five players to Dallas that would turn into draft picks if they got cut. Jimmy Johnson's intention the whole time was to cut each player to get the picks, so he got everything below which helped him eventually build his Super Bowl dynasty roster. So even if selecting Aikman wouldn't have ripped apart the space/time continuum....we still wouldn't have had the other pieces that made Aikman great.
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)
I don't like absolutes - but damn it NEVER is a good idea to trade draft picks for players. And in this case, at RB, a notoriously injury-riddled position. Also see Packers trade off 1-2-3 and 1-2 for a washed up John Hadl. That didn't turn out well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like absolutes - but damn it NEVER is a good idea to trade draft picks for players. And in this case, at RB, a notoriously injury-riddled position. Also see Packers trade off 1-2-3 and 1-2 for a washed up John Hadl. That didn't turn out well.

I rarely believe it worth picks unless all we are talking are Day 3 picks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rarely believe it worth picks unless all we are talking are Day 3 picks.
Agreed. Day 3 picks can be used to balance a deal, or make a trade for a backup. But trading away picks in rounds 1 through 3 is crazy. It rarely, rarely goes well for the team giving up the draft capital.

One exception I can think of is the Rams trading with Detroit for Stafford. The Rams went all in on a SB, and won. The Lions got draft capital are ascending. And Jared Goff became a better player. So it worked for both teams. But that's an exception.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Day 3 picks can be used to balance a deal, or make a trade for a backup. But trading away picks in rounds 1 through 3 is crazy. It rarely, rarely goes well for the team giving up the draft capital.

... But that's an exception.
Ron Wolf with Brett Favre begs to differ.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One exception I can think of is the Rams trading with Detroit for Stafford. The Rams went all in on a SB, and won. The Lions got draft capital are ascending. And Jared Goff became a better player. So it worked for both teams. But that's an exception.
Here's an article that follows somewhat the conversation you guys are having. It's dealing with the 1st picks in drafts, and the results from them, on both sides. It tells an interesting story.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an article that follows somewhat the conversation you guys are having. It's dealing with the 1st picks in drafts, and the results from them, on both sides. It tells an interesting story.

Just remember that this deals with THE #1 pick, not A #1 pick.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf with Brett Favre begs to differ.
Agree, but it's one instance. I don't know of many others (where trading 1st and/or 2nd round picks pays off). Seems like maybe you have more? Certainly Wolf pulled off a huge steal here, a second round pick for a HOF QB.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, but it's one instance. I don't know of many others (where trading 1st and/or 2nd round picks pays off). Seems like maybe you have more? Certainly Wolf pulled off a huge steal here, a second round pick for a HOF QB.
Atlanta used a second round pick on the FHOF QB, Wolf used a first-rounder to get him from them.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Atlanta used a second round pick on the FHOF QB, Wolf used a first-rounder to get him from them.
Thanks for the correction. And I do recall that. Favre taken in the 2nd, traded for a 1st. Much appreciated.

Maybe you can answer this. I don't recall. Was Favre starting for the Falcons at the time of the trade? I don't think so. I think he was the backup. If that's the case, who was starting for the Falcons?

Reaction score
My best year was a ‘92. Although it was a Red blend, so I’m not quite sure this qualifies

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man. I would think an agent would have to show all offers to the player. That in itself, is grounds for firing imo.
technically it‘s grounds for a successful lawsuit…. so I have my doubts that that is exactly what hapoened.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming I'm remember properly, the agent was fired as a result of the whole shooting match.

But also, I bet they aren't required to. Hypothetically, should an agent bring an offer of the veteran minimum to a player with an expected FA value of 20M/year? Were I that player, I would legitimately ask why he's bothering me and wasting my time. This is his job, call me when we're quibiling about details.

Of course the counter to that point is at what point is the offer made in good faith? 90% of expected? 85%?
I am not an attorney or a sports agent, but I do have a valid real estate salesperson license (which I am not using)… In almost every case I‘m aware of …the agent most definitely needs to make the client aware of any and ALL offers.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. And I do recall that. Favre taken in the 2nd, traded for a 1st. Much appreciated.

Maybe you can answer this. I don't recall. Was Favre starting for the Falcons at the time of the trade? I don't think so. I think he was the backup. If that's the case, who was starting for the Falcons?
No. Ol' Buckhead Brett was too busy partying. I think his 1 season for the Falcons, IIRC, he threw like 4 total passes and completed 2.........................both of them to the other team.

Members online

Latest posts