When do we draft Rodgers' successor?

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the worrying thing is mate, somebody in the organisation DID.
That someone being MM. But I agree with others on this, 3-4 years because yeah, otherwise that person is going to just be holding a clipboard. I'd very likely be leaning towards 3 years, because we don't want to assume he's going to play past that, this guy's a perfectionist on the field, and he may decide to retire if his play is not up to par.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess you see them take some low round qbs as flyers for a couple of years to see if they pan out. Then maybe draft them a little higher the closer AR gets to retirement.

Reaction score
The fans who disagree with anyone who suggests looking for his replacement within the next 3 years are just afraid of change and don't want to accept reality.
First, You always should have a contingency plan and especially once a QB exceeds 35+ yrs old. But as far as everything I’ve seen and heard about this subject (and that goes from opinions of past greats like Warner, Bradshaw etc) Aaron Rodgers IS the exception to the rule.
1. He sat on the bench for 3 years whereas many QBs were taking punishment.
2.He could lose 10% of his physical attributes and still be highly competitive. His arm strength strength is unparalleled.
3. It’s also not a secret that he is very much attuned to taking care of his body and very much pro-health.

If guys like Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Brett Favre can put in between 15-20 years? IMO I don’t think it’d at all unusual for #12 (who has only started 10 seasons) to put in somewhere in that range. God willing, he’s probably got at minimum 5+ more seasons.

Can you imagine had they considered phasing out Tom Brady after 10 seasons as a starter? That would’ve been the single biggest mistake the sport has ever known.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So, 4-5 more years of AR means they don't draft a QB now, but if it's 3-4 years, then it's OK. You trust a premiere athlete to know when he's done (plenty of anecdotal evidence that they don't, not so much (Barry Sanders) that they do. You trust the organization that is cleaning house to make the right call on the most important decision there is? Just saying, if the stars align again, I prefer too early rather than too late.

I guess I view it this way, using the 14th pick in the draft on a QB right now, is being overly cautious and potentially wasting a pick on a guy that may never see a regular season snap as a Packer. Now if we didn't have other glaring needs, we probably could afford that luxury. So unless the Packers go crazy in Free Agency and address the most pressing needs, I would prefer to wait 2-3 years before finding #12's replacement.

Would you use your #1 pick on your future LT right now?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not who I was hearing

I was just throwing a name out there, I have seen 4-5 QB's names thrown around as potential first rounders.

I guess my question to you and others remains the same, would you be fine with the Packers using the #14 pick on a QB?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just throwing a name out there, I have seen 4-5 QB's names thrown around as potential first rounders.

I guess my question to you and others remains the same, would you be fine with the Packers using the #14 pick on a QB?
No..

Guy who is being mentioned is......

Was invited to senior bowl

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No..

Guy who is being mentioned is......

Was invited to senior bowl

Baker Mayfield? You think he will still be around at #14? I know, you will bring up AR still being around at #24.

I hadn't watched Mayfield play until the last game. I was impressed. He definitely appears to be a guy who will be playing on Sundays. But I would still wait for the next "good prospect" in 2 or 3 years. :)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I view it this way, using the 14th pick in the draft on a QB right now, is being overly cautious and potentially wasting a pick on a guy that may never see a regular season snap as a Packer. Now if we didn't have other glaring needs, we probably could afford that luxury. So unless the Packers go crazy in Free Agency and address the most pressing needs, I would prefer to wait 2-3 years before finding #12's replacement.

Would you use your #1 pick on your future LT right now?

Sorry, I didn't realize the discussion was about using their #1 choice, just about drafting a possible successor. Would not favor using that high a pick on a QB this year, unless somebody falls into their lap. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Baker Mayfield? You think he will still be around at #14? I know, you will bring up AR still being around at #24.

I hadn't watched Mayfield play until the last game. I was impressed. He definitely appears to be a guy who will be playing on Sundays. But I would still wait for the next "good prospect" in 2 or 3 years. :)
This guy won't be a 1st rd or 2nd..

I rather not put out the name..

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If Russ Ball is married as GM with Thompson and the young talented guys get bled out of the front office they should probably look for Rodgers successor now this coming draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This guy won't be a 1st rd or 2nd..

I rather not put out the name..

I like a good mystery....so if it isn't Baker....then its one of the following:
  • Kurt Benkert, Virginia

• Luke Falk, Washington State

• Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
  • Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

• Brandon Silvers, Troy
Mike White, Western Kentucky

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Kurt Benkert, Virginia

• Brandon Silvers, Troy

redshirt senior

from what I am hearing, one scout LOVES him...Doesnt mean he will be taken, but the chatter is starting

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If either Rosen or Darnold drop it'll be hard to pass on either. I probably still trade back but if one of those two fall and you think he's the real deal it's hard to pass on that

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
  • Kurt Benkert, Virginia

• Brandon Silvers, Troy

I sure hope it isn't Luke Falk.

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2019 latest, IF there is according quality available, go for it with all might, even if you have to trade up. The more time AR spends in rehabs, the more time to think. I really cannot imagine, he wants to play as long as Brady does. I can well imagine, that he's one able to enjoy his life without football. He will not throw the Packer's Organization under the bus with an abrupt retirement. He has the character as well to teach a sucessor unlike his predecessor.

It will be anyway a pill to swallow for him, when the team drafts a QB high. You tell one "...you're our QB, as long as you want it..", everybody would hear " your football career is in a foreseeable time over" ...

Involve Aaron and tell him, that the Packers plan to repeat how they developped him ?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I am one of those fans who thinks it would be crazy to look for Rodgers replacement right now. It has nothing to do with being afraid of change or being in denial of the fact that AR won't be a Packer forever. Bottom line, it would most likely just be a waste of a draft pick when AR is only 34 and has stated several times, he wants to play another 6 years.

Let's take the scenario that the Packers use their #1 pick on AR's replacement. So you have just invested your top pick in a guy that is going to be signed to a pretty expensive Rookie contract ($3 -4 M/year). Now ask yourself all of these questions, use your brain not your heart. ;)
  1. When will the rookie QB be ready to play if AR goes down?
  2. How many QB's do you have to carry on your 53 man roster every season?
  3. How much regular season playing time will this QB get?
  4. What do you do with him when his 4 year contract is up and AR is still playing?
  5. What if this QB never pans out due to being a bad choice or just not enough experience?
I think people want to assume that the next QB the Packers draft is going to be a FHOF QB and that you can just set him on the shelf until AR is ready to go. Look at all of the 1st round QB's picked over the years and how many haven't panned out. Meanwhile, you have invested a high draft pick in a guy that may never see a regular season snap for the Packers, when you could have gotten immediate results out of the pick by using it on a position of need.

The only way I see using a high pick on a QB is when you are pretty sure AR is in his final 2-3 years of playing, then pull the trigger. Otherwise, stick with Hundley or a backup vet and roll the dice each year that AR doesn't miss significant time with an injury.

Just a reminder Ted Thompson built the blue print.

1.) Heir apparent is ready at the beginning of year 6 so

2.) You carry 2 qbs for year 1, heir apparent is inactive all year. You carry 3 for year 2 heir apparent is your 3rd stringer. For year 3 you carry 3 again, but heir apparent is now the back up. Year 4 you carry 2, heir apparent is the back up. Year 5 Rodgers is traded to the Jets for a conditional pick, so that heir apparent who isn't ready can lead us to a 6-10 record.

3.) I suspect by year 4 we will be benching Rodgers in Dallas after McCarthy changes the game plan from what WAS working to something that isn't, and they claim an 'injured elbow' but heir apparent will go in and only hold pat, not win the game.

4.) You trade Rodgers to the Jets for a conditional pick...I just got done saying this

5.) The Packers haven't missed on a drafted QB since Randy Wright, I get it we're due but it also hasn't happened in 30 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just a reminder Ted Thompson built the blue print.

1.) Heir apparent is ready at the beginning of year 6 so

2.) You carry 2 qbs for year 1, heir apparent is inactive all year. You carry 3 for year 2 heir apparent is your 3rd stringer. For year 3 you carry 3 again, but heir apparent is now the back up. Year 4 you carry 2, heir apparent is the back up. Year 5 Rodgers is traded to the Jets for a conditional pick, so that heir apparent who isn't ready can lead us to a 6-10 record.

3.) I suspect by year 4 we will be benching Rodgers in Dallas after McCarthy changes the game plan from what WAS working to something that isn't, and they claim an 'injured elbow' but heir apparent will go in and only hold pat, not win the game.

4.) You trade Rodgers to the Jets for a conditional pick...I just got done saying this

5.) The Packers haven't missed on a drafted QB since Randy Wright, I get it we're due but it also hasn't happened in 30 years.

Ummm....what blueprint? You are using the drafting of Aaron Rodgers as TT's Blueprint on how he handles the position? Remember, there was a lot going on behind the scenes with Favre and it wasn't him not having 5-6 more years in him as a player when Rodgers was drafted.

As far as bad QB draft picks, we have had a few. Teds flops: Ingle Martin 2006 5th rd, Brian Brohm 2008 2nd rd , BJ Coleman 2012 7th rd.

As far as drafting a QB as the "heir apparent" and keeping him "inactive" for year one, how do you plan to do that?

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man I can see Mayfield being available in the 20’s!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Man I can see Mayfield being available in the 20’s!

I think Mayfield will be one of the most talked about players in the draft. His polarizing personality and lack of "good height" will scare some away, but it is hard to ignore what he did at Oklahoma. Personally, I hope at least 4 QB's go off the board before the Packers pick, leaving us with better options at position of need.

I will probably be wrong, but I wasn't that impressed with Sam Darnold the 2 times I saw him play. Maybe he has the physical skills to become a great NFL QB, but he is going to need to figure out how to make good decisions with the ball.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Highest draft pick the team has had in years, yet we should entertain taking a quarterback when Rodgers is talking about playing into his 40's and the team has a ton of positions of need? I'll pass.

I'd rather draft a highly talented difference maker that will be on the field next season. The team finally made the necessary changes to put themselves in a position to hopefully upgrade the defense in order to compete for more super bowls. I wouldn't give one thought to drafting a quarterback in the 1st round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Highest draft pick the team has had in years, yet we should entertain taking a quarterback when Rodgers is talking about playing into his 40's and the team has a ton of positions of need? I'll pass.

I'd rather draft a highly talented difference maker that will be on the field next season. The team finally made the necessary changes to put themselves in a position to hopefully upgrade the defense in order to compete for more super bowls. I wouldn't give one thought to drafting a quarterback in the 1st round.

Agreed and I would add....why even draft a QB? Only way I even consider drafting a QB at this point is if there is an absolute steal on the board in the mid rounds. Even still, the guy is going to mostly likely be 3rd string behind Hundley, take up a roster spot and be inactive for every game.....repeat and rinse until when?

Sits and waits for someone to mention Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott. :coffee: