When do we draft Rodgers' successor?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like thinking about it, but Rodgers isn't a young quarterback anymore. He turned 34 earlier this month, and despite looking as good as ever earlier this season, we probably can expect no more than 4-6 seasons more from him. Few quarterbacks have looked good at 40+. And while I appreciate that Hundley was able to gut it out and win enough games to keep us alive, he obviously isn't our future.

So when do we draft Rodgers' successor? How far off is it? I suspect we don't do it this upcoming draft, but perhaps in 2019? or 2020? It's not in the immediate future, but it's a lot closer than it was a few years ago.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be optimistic here and say we give him one more long term extension. Looking to hit the 40 year old threshold.

I think Hundley played good enough to give him a raise and a #2 spot behind Rodgers. He played bad enough to not get offered a starting job anywhere else. So it might work out that Hundley gets another few years to develop in the system.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be optimistic here and say we give him one more long term extension. Looking to hit the 40 year old threshold.

I think Hundley played good enough to give him a raise and a #2 spot behind Rodgers. He played bad enough to not get offered a starting job anywhere else. So it might work out that Hundley gets another few years to develop in the system.
The question was not about getting Rodgers extended.... that is a given. The question is about how soon you start looking for the eventual starter to replace Rodgers when he retires. Hundley has nothing to do with that.

As for when ... I'd say it's about 4 years out.... and hopefully that may be too soon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the 2021 draft is the earliest the Packers should think about selecting Rodgers' successor. That would allow him the same path to being the team's starting quarterback as #12 had. Hopefully without all of the drama though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That`s a poison chalice. Given that NOBODY is going to live up to his reputation, We`ve been too spoilt.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might all depend on how long McCarthy and Thompson are with the team. Rodgers may not want to be here if he is not surrounded with a competent staff and team that is a perennial playoff threat. A new head coach and/or GM may also want to go into a rebuilding mode that sends Rodgers packing in lieu of draft picks or a young quarterback. Then there's also the issue of Rodgers' health...if he continues to sustain long-lasting injuries, there must come a time when the team will have to cut their losses, especially with a player in their mid-30's. Drafting a successor is far from a cut and dry scenario.

Now before anyone says "there's no way Rodgers will never be a Packer", just remember we had this EXACT same thought about Favre. And so did the Colts with Manning, 49ers with Montana, etc. The NFL is a business and sometimes difficult & unpopular decisions need to be executed by teams in order to set up opportunities for long term success.

(But my guess is the 2018 draft if we part ways with Hundley...the release of Callahan tells me either Hundley will be extended or they will draft a QB in the upcoming draft)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might all depend on how long McCarthy and Thompson are with the team. Rodgers may not want to be here if he is not surrounded with a competent staff and team that is a perennial playoff threat. A new head coach and/or GM may also want to go into a rebuilding mode that sends Rodgers packing in lieu of draft picks or a young quarterback. Then there's also the issue of Rodgers' health...if he continues to sustain long-lasting injuries, there must come a time when the team will have to cut their losses, especially with a player in their mid-30's. Drafting a successor is far from a cut and dry scenario.

Now before anyone says "there's no way Rodgers will never be a Packer", just remember we had this EXACT same thought about Favre. And so did the Colts with Manning, 49ers with Montana, etc. The NFL is a business and sometimes difficult & unpopular decisions need to be executed by teams in order to set up opportunities for long term success.

(But my guess is the 2018 draft if we part ways with Hundley...the release of Callahan tells me either Hundley will be extended or they will draft a QB in the upcoming draft)
The release of Callahan tells nothing. He started on the practice squad and got promoted to second string when Rodgers was placed on IR. Now that Rodgers is back.... Everybody goes back to where they were. Callahan can't just be placed back on the practice squad without clearing waivers first.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I say in 4 years draft the highest best QB in the first round that lands where the pack pick and see what you got.

D

Deleted member 6794

This might all depend on how long McCarthy and Thompson are with the team. Rodgers may not want to be here if he is not surrounded with a competent staff and team that is a perennial playoff threat.

Rodgers might want the Packers to hire a different general manager capable of putting together a more talented roster around him.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I believe Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted. Was everyone sure that was the right time? I remember there was a lot of discontent among the fan base for wasting a pick when a play-making WR was wanted. My point is that none here can see the future and know when Rodgers will hit the wall and his abilities quickly decline or suffer a career ending injury. I don''t think the Packers should go into the draft the next two years with the specific intent of getting a high-round QB but if the right one becomes available then I think you have to draft him. IMO, no later than than the 2020 draft. Franchise QBs rare and the Packers have been in a golden age since the early 1990s. There are a lot of teams who have searching since then that have not even found one.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer the same manner that AR was drafted. If there's a QB that slides with 1st Round talent. And there's not a gaping hole that must be addressed, I say we pull the trigger. The problem is that TT is so inept with building a team who knows when that will be. We'll be drafting entire defenses year in and year out; Rodgers will have to show solid decline the year prior to break the tradition.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we really need a giant "Irony" button. I don't even know how that would look, maybe just a giant black iron, iron with a Giant "Y" after it

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I believe Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted. Was everyone sure that was the right time? I remember there was a lot of discontent among the fan base for wasting a pick when a play-making WR was wanted. My point is that none here can see the future and know when Rodgers will hit the wall and his abilities quickly decline or suffer a career ending injury. I don''t think the Packers should go into the draft the next two years with the specific intent of getting a high-round QB but if the right one becomes available then I think you have to draft him. IMO, no later than than the 2020 draft. Franchise QBs rare and the Packers have been in a golden age since the early 1990s. There are a lot of teams who have searching since then that have not even found one.

Good points. I think those inside the Green Bay Packer organization had a much clearer picture of the "Favre situation", than us as fans had. Now maybe TT only pulled the trigger on Rodgers because he was considered a steal, but I also think the Packer organization didn't want to deal with Favre too much longer. The same will/should happen with Rodgers eventual replacement. Within the organization, they should know approximately when that time will be and act accordingly.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like thinking about it, but Rodgers isn't a young quarterback anymore. He turned 34 earlier this month, and despite looking as good as ever earlier this season, we probably can expect no more than 4-6 seasons more from him. Few quarterbacks have looked good at 40+. And while I appreciate that Hundley was able to gut it out and win enough games to keep us alive, he obviously isn't our future.

So when do we draft Rodgers' successor? How far off is it? I suspect we don't do it this upcoming draft, but perhaps in 2019? or 2020? It's not in the immediate future, but it's a lot closer than it was a few years ago.

2020 at the earliest

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If this were New England and at 34 I would say don’t bother but until this organization realizes that Arods pass protection basically Sucks, it is time to explore that option but fear not Hundley says he is ready to fill those shoes (a bit of sarcasm) this current management will stay inconsistent.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a team offers us 6-7 first round picks for Rodgers, we should take it now. We need to just admit we blew an opportunity (because of Capers) to win anything with him and head to the next stage. With Rodgers, we will continue to be like the 8th best team in the league because we will never be bad enough to get a good draft selection. If you guys are just satisfied making the playoffs every year that's cool. I wasn't around in the late 70's/entire 80's when we never made the playoffs. But I'm ****ing tired of being a playoff team that gets their *** kicked every year. Get a new GM and let him clean house to start fresh with a surplus of 1st rounders.

Reaction score
I’ve heard several retired football QBs estimate that Aaron Rodgers could play well into his 40’s. Based on his arm strength and overall health I think that’s reasonable.
IMO I think he’ll play until somewhere between his 40th and 42nd bday. That’s between 6-8 more years. An extremely conservative number would 4-5 more seasons and with his approach I’m leaning he’ll be playing 7-8 more seasons.
My best hypothesis is he retires shortly after his 41st Bday barring any unseen substantial injury.
Luckily, I think we’re still minimum 5 drafts away from having to seriously Consider his replacement and I believe the 2022 draft or 2023 depending on the crop of available talent.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're looking at the heir apparent in 2018. We'll have a new GM who when the new QB is ready (I'm thinking 2020 or 2021) will send Aaron to the Jets for a third round pick, so that he can play the following year in Minnesota.

D

Deleted member 6794

If this were New England and at 34 I would say don’t bother but until this organization realizes that Arods pass protection basically Sucks.

I have a hard time understanding why that many Packers fans believes the offensive line struggles in pass protection.

If a team offers us 6-7 first round picks for Rodgers, we should take it now. We need to just admit we blew an opportunity (because of Capers) to win anything with him and head to the next stage.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to trade the best player in the league still at the peak of his power.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why that many Packers fans believes the offensive line struggles in pass protection.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to trade the best player in the league still at the peak of his power.
Agreed.... and on the flip side who the heck is going to trade 6-7 first round picks away ... for anyone lol.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably because they've given up the third most sacks in the NFL. Granted that number is skewed a bit because of Hundley, but not so much to realize the offensive line has been overrated for several years.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a good decision for Teddy to draft Rodgers because 1. Favre and his yearly retirement shtick had worn thin, and 2. Favre had become a post-season liability. Fortunately Rodgers fell into Teddy's lap, otherwise I don't know if we qualify for the playoffs more than one or two times since Favre's departure.

Members online

Latest posts