When do we draft Rodgers' successor?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any need for the Packers to look for Rodgers' replacement in this draft. In fact I think it would be a waste of a pick to look for one on day 1 or day 2 unless someone had a major free fall into the second or third round. Even at 14 if a guy like Bo Callahan dropped I wouldn't want the Packers to take him. At that point maybe a trade back would be the best thing but not too far. The thing is with so many teams looking at QBs in the first half of the draft if one did drop to 14 would there be any teams still looking for one. That doesn't mean I think they shouldn't draft a QB. If the right prospect is there on day three pull the trigger.

As much as I agree with Poker on getting our backup to replace Hundley via FA there are precious few that really interest me. That said if we are looking for someone who could come in and play reasonably well for a few games even some of the lesser free agents would probably be preferable to a late round rookie flier. I mean realistically what could you expect from a 5th or 6th round rookie drafted as a project if he is thrust into the starting position in his first year.

The Packers as they were in 2017 were in need of a QB who could do more than just "not lose" the game. They needed a QB who could come in and contribute to winning and unfortunately Brett Hundley was not that guy. Maybe with some improvements elsewhere on the team the backup QB position won't be so important. I hope so because I just don't see many options. Of course the backup QB being completely irrelevant would be the ideal situation.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he can and he will. The 13 screws were necessarily required. They were an option he chose that would allow him to return ASAP. Come training camp that clavicle will be better than 100%.

I'm hoping so!!

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your point is good about the reason we went to Rogers from Favre.

I think a first or 2nd round qb pick is a good move in 2018.

No, a rookie won't save the season, a full team of 53 will. I expect Rogers to play the whole season.

Yes, Rogers could suffer a career ending or just an injury. We have to begin to get ready.

I don't expect Rogers to play 6 more years. His replacement will take at least 2 years in our way of developing.

These are great points. We have to get ready now. To not, means that one play can ruin our season. We are especially more dependent upon Rogers being out there and he is so good, but we need insurance or we are one play from giving up the season again. That is a very uneasy feeling for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

These are great points. We have to get ready now. To not, means that one play can ruin our season. We are especially more dependent upon Rogers being out there and he is so good, but we need insurance or we are one play from giving up the season again. That is an very uneasy feeling for me.

I don't think there's any chance of adding a backup quarterback capable of adequately replacing Rodgers. The Packers have to improve the overall talent level on the roster to be better prepared if #12 is forced to miss games again.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any chance of adding a backup quarterback capable of adequately replacing Rodgers. The Packers have to improve the overall talent level on the roster to be better prepared if #12 is forced to miss games again.
Rogers is the best. I agree, a backup capable of replacing Rogers probably isn't going to happen. I worry that we can find someone as good as Rogers ever to be our starter.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think there will be options available that could be better than Hundley as our #2 QB. However, as Captain pointed out and I have been saying for a while, the other 52 on the roster need to get better or it won't matter who is backing up #12. As the Eagles and Vikings proved, you can survive the loss of your #1 QB, but it takes a solid roster to do that.

I am honestly less worried about Rodgers backup than I am seeing the defense playing at a higher level, as well as signing a legit #1 TE and finding quality depth on the OL and at WR.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take broke-leg Teddy Bridgewater if the Vikings let him walk!
not as AR's successor. as a backup if they don't keep him...sure. i bet they keep him. if they do keep him the Packers need to sign keenum as AR's backup. btw...all of min's qb's are free agents if bridgewater's option isn't picked up.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
not as AR's successor. as a backup if they don't keep him...sure. i bet they keep him. if they do keep him the Packers need to sign keenum as AR's backup. btw...all of min's qb's are free agents if bridgewater's option isn't picked up.

The Vikings already passed on Bridgewater's option, that is a done deal. All 3 QB's are technically free agents and it will be up to the Vikings to decide who they want to try and keep, because I doubt they will be able to afford all 3. Personally, for the right money, I would take any of the 3 over Hundley.

D

Deleted member 6794

I worry that we can find someone as good as Rogers ever to be our starter.

With Rodgers having the highest career passer rating in league history by a decent margin I highly doubt the Packers will be able to find another quarterback as good as him anytime soon.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to bump this thread. Rodgers will be going into his age 36 season next year, which is the same age Favre was when we drafted Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I want to bump this thread. Rodgers will be going into his age 36 season next year, which is the same age Favre was when we drafted Rodgers.
Rodgers just turned 35 on Sunday and wants to play into his 40's. So unless Management doesn't want that or thinks he is or will be incapable of doing that, why has the time table to draft his predecessor moved up? The Packers draft needs far exceed a high pick on a guy who may never see the field during his rookie contract.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers is the best. I agree, a backup capable of replacing Rogers probably isn't going to happen. I worry that we can find someone as good as Rogers ever to be our starter.
2018 Rodgers wouldn't be hard to replace. there are 8-10 qb's playing better than Rodgers this season. hopefully 2018 Rodgers doesn't show up in 2019.

Reaction score
Rodgers just turned 35 on Sunday and wants to play into his 40's. So unless Management doesn't want that or thinks he is or will be incapable of doing that, why has the time table to draft his predecessor moved up? The Packers draft needs far exceed a high pick on a guy who may never see the field during his rookie contract.

I agree with that. And with todays rules it keeps QBs playing longer than when Favre was here. 36 for Favre and Qbs of that time looks way different that 36 for todays QBs. However I personally would want us to draft a QB a few years from now and have him sit behind Aaron for at least 1 year if not 2. I think have a QB start right away is not wise. Even tho other teams do it, doesnt mean we should imo. Not when there is a lot that can be learned sitting behind Aaron. Pats had their chance but blew it. Once Brady is gone that team is gonna be in for a big shock

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with that. And with todays rules it keeps QBs playing longer than when Favre was here. 36 for Favre and Qbs of that time looks way different that 36 for todays QBs. However I personally would want us to draft a QB a few years from now and have him sit behind Aaron for at least 1 year if not 2. I think have a QB start right away is not wise. Even tho other teams do it, doesnt mean we should imo. Not when there is a lot that can be learned sitting behind Aaron. Pats had their chance but blew it. Once Brady is gone that team is gonna be in for a big shock
Yup and the teams using high picks on QB's and forcing them into starting right away are doing so, because they don't have a great starter to begin with. Sometimes I think this debate is fueled too much by when Rodgers was drafted in regards to Favre, as well as how that unusual situation played out. TT selected Rodgers probably not strictly because the Packers were looking for a starting QB, but he saw tremendous value in the pick and probably the underlying tensions with Favre made it an easy decision. Now maybe the Packers are in that same position/mindset with Rodgers right now and Gute would pull the trigger if he saw value sitting on the board in the first round. But I still contend that you don't use high picks to stockpile players behind quality starters, if those starters are viewed as good to go for 4+ more years, especially at QB.

Perhaps if Gute pulls the trigger on a QB in the first round, we may have an indicator on just what he and other FO people in Green Bay are thinking about Rodgers being around much longer.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we're seeing that Rodgers won't play until he is 40. His skills have deteriorated, and if not his skills his attitude. And I'll go out on a limb right now and say we have his successor on the roster right now in Deshon Kizer.

Reaction score
I think we're seeing that Rodgers won't play until he is 40. His skills have deteriorated, and if not his skills his attitude. And I'll go out on a limb right now and say we have his successor on the roster right now in Deshon Kizer.

I was with you until you said his successor was Kizer. Then i strongly jumped off that boat

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers isn't going anywhere for at least 2 seasons. You don't give a guy $57M and then suddenly go 'Eh.. I'll trade or cut him'.

It doesn't become remotely palatable to move on from him until after 2020 at the earliest and 2021 the most likely which means you would expend high draft capital probably until post 2019 or 2020 season's draft.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers isn't talking about retiring every year like Favre did either.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer? Really? Did you see his terrible year in Cleveland? Not to mention his terrible quarter+ as our QB? His skills are practice squad at best, and that's with today's rules. Which would only help him seem better. DK as our QB, that had to be a joke.

Reaction score
Kizer? Really? Did you see his terrible year in Cleveland? Not to mention his terrible quarter+ as our QB? His skills are practice squad at best, and that's with today's rules. Which would only help him seem better. DK as our QB, that had to be a joke.

Don't doubt the NATURE BOY! WHOOOOOOOOOO! but you are right. I almost feel sad thinking about Mack crushing him in his arms, ripping the ball from his hands, and skipping into the end zone.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Due to his contract, Rodgers will be our QB for at least the next 4 seasons. So, I'd recommend we wait 3-4 years to draft his replacement.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So am I to assume you are not a big fan of Kizer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts