When do we draft Rodgers' successor?

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably because they've given up the third most sacks in the NFL. Granted that number is skewed a bit because of Hundley, but not so much to realize the offensive line has been overrated for several years.

When the line wasn't playing 4th and 5th string tackles, some of which never even played tackle before, the pass protection was fine this season.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like thinking about it, but Rodgers isn't a young quarterback anymore. He turned 34 earlier this month, and despite looking as good as ever earlier this season, we probably can expect no more than 4-6 seasons more from him. Few quarterbacks have looked good at 40+. And while I appreciate that Hundley was able to gut it out and win enough games to keep us alive, he obviously isn't our future.

So when do we draft Rodgers' successor? How far off is it? I suspect we don't do it this upcoming draft, but perhaps in 2019? or 2020? It's not in the immediate future, but it's a lot closer than it was a few years ago.

We should draft his successor NOW. The effect of multiple injuries over the years add up. It takes time to convert a college QB to the NFL. Rogers is still the best, but I fear we can't count on him to much longer. I say this because the likelihood of injuries is higher now than when he was a young QB, on the bench, waiting for Favre to retire. If we get 4 more years, without the next injury, then we are very lucky. Lets face it, we can't have good luck every year with QBs. Let's draft NOW.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably because they've given up the third most sacks in the NFL. Granted that number is skewed a bit because of Hundley, but not so much to realize the offensive line has been overrated for several years.

While the offensive line lacks quality depth there's absolutely no doubt the starting five form one of the best units in the league in pass protection.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the line wasn't playing 4th and 5th string tackles, some of which never even played tackle before, the pass protection was fine this season.
and if you take some time and watch other games, even that line played at a respectable level compared to other lines that had to replace 1 or 2 guys. They definitely weren't great, but they weren't as bad as quite a few others either and none of them had 5 guards on the field at once either. Oh, 4 and a center.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just sacks. It's also hurries and pressures. How many times have we seen Rodgers scramble out of the pocket? A whole lot. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because he's so great in those situations. That's why I'm not concerned at all about not having a blocking back. Rodgers has the ability to avoid the pass rush. and do great things.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not just sacks. It's also hurries and pressures. How many times have we seen Rodgers scramble out of the pocket? A whole lot. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because he's so great in those situations. That's why I'm not concerned at all about not having a blocking back. Rodgers has the ability to avoid the pass rush. and do great things.

Rodgers tends to start scrambling before actually being pressured on a lot of occasions as well though.

we won't be in a position to do that until he leaves and we're drafting in the top 5.

It worked out pretty well with Rodgers in 2005.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a team offers us 6-7 first round picks for Rodgers, we should take it now. We need to just admit we blew an opportunity (because of Capers) to win anything with him and head to the next stage. With Rodgers, we will continue to be like the 8th best team in the league because we will never be bad enough to get a good draft selection. If you guys are just satisfied making the playoffs every year that's cool. I wasn't around in the late 70's/entire 80's when we never made the playoffs. But I'm ******* tired of being a playoff team that gets their *** kicked every year. Get a new GM and let him clean house to start fresh with a surplus of 1st rounders.

If a team offers us 6-7 first round picks for Rodgers, we should take it now. We need to just admit we blew an opportunity (because of Capers) to win anything with him and head to the next stage. With Rodgers, we will continue to be like the 8th best team in the league because we will never be bad enough to get a good draft selection. If you guys are just satisfied making the playoffs every year that's cool. I wasn't around in the late 70's/entire 80's when we never made the playoffs. But I'm ******* tired of being a playoff team that gets their *** kicked every year. Get a new GM and let him clean house to start fresh with a surplus of 1st rounders.
Dude give me some of what you are smoking because you are bugging out. There is no way we would give Rodgers away for anything less than 2 guaranteed top 3 picks he is by far the best Damn qb in the league and everybody knows it but then again I might not even trade him for that because you are not going to find anybody better than him for the next 5 years so I'm reality it's not even worth it unless you charge an astronomically high price for him which no team in their right mind will be willing to pay because anything less we'd be losing on the deal. If it was me id need 3 top 3 first round pics and a high second and a high third round pick. And for good measure I might thrown in an extra or 2nd round pick

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s cut Clay and let’s trade Rodgers.... WHAT!!!!

Packer fans gone mad I tells ya!

Everyone keep calm. I don’t foresee a situation we had with Aaron where a great talent just fell into our laps at 24..... I think depending on who the GM is, we should look to be drafting his successor in the next 3-4 years and have him learn the system behind the best player in the league.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Let’s cut Clay and let’s trade Rodgers.... WHAT!!!!

Packer fans gone mad I tells ya!

Everyone keep calm. I don’t foresee a situation we had with Aaron where a great talent just fell into our laps at 24..... I think depending on who the GM is, we should look to be drafting his successor in the next 3-4 years and have him learn the system behind the best player in the league.

Like Hundley was supposed to do ??

UK Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like thinking about it, but Rodgers isn't a young quarterback anymore. He turned 34 earlier this month, and despite looking as good as ever earlier this season, we probably can expect no more than 4-6 seasons more from him. Few quarterbacks have looked good at 40+. And while I appreciate that Hundley was able to gut it out and win enough games to keep us alive, he obviously isn't our future.

So when do we draft Rodgers' successor? How far off is it? I suspect we don't do it this upcoming draft, but perhaps in 2019? or 2020? It's not in the immediate future, but it's a lot closer than it was a few years ago.

When do we draft #12's replacement?

Not soon enough in my humble opinion......scouting will no doubt help to target the qualities needed to be under centre at 1265

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When do we draft #12's replacement?

Not soon enough in my humble opinion......scouting will no doubt help to target the qualities needed to be under centre at 1265

When AR is about 3-4 years out from retirement. Otherwise you are just drafting a guy to hold a clipboard for 4 years and then having to decide if you let him walk in free agency, he has trade value or you pay him big bucks....to carry that clipboard until AR is ready to hang em up.

Reaction score
Remember when TT was hired?
Ted had very little patience with Favre, (the gun slinger) and wanted to move on with his own QB.
Remember Favre went to TT and wanted him to get Randy Moss in camp as a go-to receiver and Ted ignored him?
Maybe that will happen again with Ted's replacement to clean house with a fresh offensive line.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Remember when TT was hired?
Ted had very little patience with Favre, (the gun slinger) and wanted to move on with his own QB.
Remember Favre went to TT and wanted him to get Randy Moss in camp as a go-to receiver and Ted ignored him?
Maybe that will happen again with Ted's replacement to clean house with a fresh offensive line.

The offensive line is the least of the Packers problems. Maybe start restocking the depth a bit, but they have all sorts of things to address on the defensive side of the ball. TE, a #2 QB and WR may be their #1 - #3 priorities on the offensive side.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers talks a lot about playing into his 40's but I'm not so sure. I have a suspicion he could abruptly quit the NFL like Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson.

He's already won a Super Bowl and made boatloads of cash. He loves his privacy and he's grown (in my opinion anyway) a bit more flaky as he's aged. (Edit - some people might say he's grown more "enlightened" or "philosophical" about life).

I'm not saying the Packers should overdraft anyone but if I was the GM I'd have my eye out now for a possible replacement.

Last edited:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers talks a lot about playing into his 40's but I'm not so sure. I have a suspicion he could abruptly quit the NFL like Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson.

He's already won a Super Bowl and made boatloads of cash. He loves his privacy and he's grown (in my opinion anyway) a bit more flaky as he's aged. (Edit - some people might say he's grown more "enlightened" or "philosophical" about life).

I'm not saying the Packers should overdraft anyone but if I was the GM I'd have my eye out now for a possible replacement.
He talked a lot about playing into his 40's before the collarbone injuries and concussions. With that said and with him nor the team knowing how his recent collarbone injury could affect his performance, it would be idiotic to assume Rodgers will play into his 40's...particularly while playing at a high level.

The fans who disagree with anyone who suggests looking for his replacement within the next 3 years are just afraid of change and don't want to accept reality. They also seem to think Rodgers can singlehandedly carry this team to the promised land and want to retain him as long as possible for that reason, yet he has carried this team to 0 Super Bowls (defense carried the team in SB 45). Even the greatest player to ever play this game will never be able to singlehandedly carry a team to championships. It's just not possible.

Take a step back, take some deep breaths, and think with your heads rather than your hearts. This team must begin searching for their next (hopefully) HoF QB asap. Even if we draft him and Rodgers does play into his 40's, at least we can say we were prepared for plan B....and in the process could trade that QB for some good picks. Nothing bad ever comes from being proactive and preparing for every scenario.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He talked a lot about playing into his 40's before the collarbone injuries and concussions. With that said and with him nor the team knowing how his recent collarbone injury could affect his performance, it would be idiotic to assume Rodgers will play into his 40's...particularly while playing at a high level.

The fans who disagree with anyone who suggests looking for his replacement within the next 3 years are just afraid of change and don't want to accept reality. They also seem to think Rodgers can singlehandedly carry this team to the promised land and want to retain him as long as possible for that reason, yet he has carried this team to 0 Super Bowls (defense carried the team in SB 45). Even the greatest player to ever play this game will never be able to singlehandedly carry a team to championships. It's just not possible.

Take a step back, take some deep breaths, and think with your heads rather than your hearts. This team must begin searching for their next (hopefully) HoF QB asap. Even if we draft him and Rodgers does play into his 40's, at least we can say we were prepared for plan B....and in the process could trade that QB for some good picks. Nothing bad ever comes from being proactive and preparing for every scenario.

Actually, I am one of those fans who thinks it would be crazy to look for Rodgers replacement right now. It has nothing to do with being afraid of change or being in denial of the fact that AR won't be a Packer forever. Bottom line, it would most likely just be a waste of a draft pick when AR is only 34 and has stated several times, he wants to play another 6 years.

Let's take the scenario that the Packers use their #1 pick on AR's replacement. So you have just invested your top pick in a guy that is going to be signed to a pretty expensive Rookie contract ($3 -4 M/year). Now ask yourself all of these questions, use your brain not your heart. ;)
  1. When will the rookie QB be ready to play if AR goes down?
  2. How many QB's do you have to carry on your 53 man roster every season?
  3. How much regular season playing time will this QB get?
  4. What do you do with him when his 4 year contract is up and AR is still playing?
  5. What if this QB never pans out due to being a bad choice or just not enough experience?
I think people want to assume that the next QB the Packers draft is going to be a FHOF QB and that you can just set him on the shelf until AR is ready to go. Look at all of the 1st round QB's picked over the years and how many haven't panned out. Meanwhile, you have invested a high draft pick in a guy that may never see a regular season snap for the Packers, when you could have gotten immediate results out of the pick by using it on a position of need.

The only way I see using a high pick on a QB is when you are pretty sure AR is in his final 2-3 years of playing, then pull the trigger. Otherwise, stick with Hundley or a backup vet and roll the dice each year that AR doesn't miss significant time with an injury.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When AR is about 3-4 years out from retirement. Otherwise you are just drafting a guy to hold a clipboard for 4 years and then having to decide if you let him walk in free agency, he has trade value or you pay him big bucks....to carry that clipboard until AR is ready to hang em up.

When is that going to be?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When is that going to be?

I would hope MM and Rodgers himself know the answer to that and are truthful about it to themselves and the team in the process. I will admit I thought they pulled the trigger too early on drafting Rodgers, but I think the organization was growing weary of Favre and they saw the need for his replacement much sooner than some fans did.

It isn't far fetched to think that AR can't perform at a high level in the next 4-5 years or even more, maybe not at the same HOF level every year, but I will take that level over a rookie or a guy who has seen little game action after a year or two.

Basically, I trust the Packer organization to know when the time is right to look for AR's successor.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope MM and Rodgers himself know the answer to that and are truthful about it to themselves and the team in the process. I will admit I thought they pulled the trigger too early on drafting Rodgers, but I think the organization was growing weary of Favre and they saw the need for his replacement much sooner than some fans did.

It isn't far fetched to think that AR can't perform at a high level in the next 4-5 years or even more, maybe not at the same HOF level every year, but I will take that level over a rookie or a guy who has seen little game action after a year or two.

Basically, I trust the Packer organization to know when the time is right to look for AR's successor.

So, 4-5 more years of AR means they don't draft a QB now, but if it's 3-4 years, then it's OK. You trust a premiere athlete to know when he's done (plenty of anecdotal evidence that they don't, not so much (Barry Sanders) that they do. You trust the organization that is cleaning house to make the right call on the most important decision there is? Just saying, if the stars align again, I prefer too early rather than too late.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don’t think anyone thought Hundley was going to do anything? I sure didn’t.... I’m talking a 1st round pick

But the worrying thing is mate, somebody in the organisation DID.

Members online

Latest posts