When do we draft Rodgers' successor?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the Packers should start taking swings in this draft, but not in the top 2 rounds.

Use the first three picks to improve the roster behind Rodgers, and then just throwing darts at QB's. The closer we get to AR retiring, the higher the dart throws should be.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok with them using Kizer as that main backup for now. He has the physical tools to be a decent NFL QB, and with him watching Rodgers for a year or two I'd rather go that route than spend draft capital on a QB at this point. Getting a QB of the future at picks 3 or later in the draft seems counterintuitive considering that Kizer was a 2nd round pick with first round upside. He may just take a while before he shows us his ceiling. Again, his knock was that he was very raw, so taking 2-3 years is necessary before you see what he has ultimately to offer any franchise. If he fails, let him, we'd be in a prime spot likely to draft the next guy early in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they want to get serious about sifting fora new QB, they may have to be willing to carry more than two. I'm not advocating that they cut Kizer. But they may trade him.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer? Really? Did you see his terrible year in Cleveland? Not to mention his terrible quarter+ as our QB? His skills are practice squad at best, and that's with today's rules. Which would only help him seem better. DK as our QB, that had to be a joke.

I saw some of his play in Cleveland and what I saw was a kid who should've stayed at Notre Dame until after his Junior year, not come out as a red-shirt sophomore. As far as the Bears game, I'd call it 50/50. Rodgers would've thrown that pick, the HANDOFF to Mack yes I yelled at the tv. Remember he'd been in the system less than 6 months, and had only played pre-season, and he also out did Rodgers in his first game action as a Packer. At least Kizer got out of it without ending up on IR.

I think right now Deshone Kizer could be the starter in 2020.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw some of his play in Cleveland and what I saw was a kid who should've stayed at Notre Dame until after his Junior year, not come out as a red-shirt sophomore. As far as the Bears game, I'd call it 50/50. Rodgers would've thrown that pick, the HANDOFF to Mack yes I yelled at the tv. Remember he'd been in the system less than 6 months, and had only played pre-season, and he also out did Rodgers in his first game action as a Packer. At least Kizer got out of it without ending up on IR.

I think right now Deshone Kizer could be the starter in 2020.
Lol i was with you for a split second... he did look ok for about that long before Mack began to terrorize him lol... BUT you took it way too far.;)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to guess 2020 might be the year to do it. This year we have a bit too many other urgent pressing needs we gotta attend to, but if we get this roster right and have a bit of extra capital to spend, I think we might look at getting our next guy in the 3rd round of 2020 if MLF sees a guy he likes available that round.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can't pine for going all-in for the SB while Rodgers is still an elite QB and then be wasting a high draft pick drafting his successor. Those picks should be used on other positions to get to the SB.

Check post #91 in this thread, where I linked past articles about how you replace a HOF quarterback. There is no proven route. With what happened with Favre-Rodgers, I don't think it makes any sense for the Packers to push drafting a QB now when we have just as good of a chance to get one after he's gone. Plus, I would advocate that you might as well wait until Rodgers is gone, have a really bad year, and then draft one of the top QBs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Packers should start taking swings in this draft, but not in the top 2 rounds.

Use the first three picks to improve the roster behind Rodgers, and then just throwing darts at QB's. The closer we get to AR retiring, the higher the dart throws should be.

Sort of worked for Wolf but not for TT.

It also really involves an honest conversation with AR and how long he plans on sticking around. No sense spending draft picks on a 3rd string QB, that you may have to carry on the 53 to protect, but never sees action. What kind of player do you have after 3 or 4 years? One who may or may not have looked good during preseason. We already had that with Hundly, Callahan, and now Kizer.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm going to guess 2020 might be the year to do it. This year we have a bit too many other urgent pressing needs we gotta attend to, but if we get this roster right and have a bit of extra capital to spend, I think we might look at getting our next guy in the 3rd round of 2020 if MLF sees a guy he likes available that round.

I agree that the 2021 draft is the earliest the Packers should even think about drafting Rodgers possible replacement. With #12's contract running through the 2023 season it doesn't make any sense to select one before that as he would most likely won't play any meaningful snaps before hitting free agency.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2021 draft
This is what I'd like to do, and thought of starting a new thread on this. Trade down from the #30 for a 2021 first round pick and do the same with our 2020 first rounder and we have draft equity for the #1 overall pick in 2021 for Trevor Lawrence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is what I'd like to do, and thought of starting a new thread on this. Trade down from the #30 for a 2021 first round pick and do the same with our 2020 first rounder and we have draft equity for the #1 overall pick in 2021 for Trevor Lawrence.

Trevor Lawrence.....you just got me all excited!

If that kid doesn't get injured and keeps progressing, teams might throw games in 2020 to be able to draft him. If I had to put money on someone who was currently playing at the college level, to make the HOF, he would be my pick.

This Tweet by none other than legendary scout Gil Brandt says it all:

Gil Brandt‏Verified account @Gil_Brandt
Trevor Lawrence is the best true freshman QB I've ever seen. If I was running an NFL team, I'd be making trades for as many 2021 picks I could get my hands on.

Last edited:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, even i know of Trevor Lawrence, and i must admit i think he is amazing. i think i mentioned him earlier in this thread a while back after i saw him playing a couple times, i normally know none of these kids coming through the draft

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should focus on becoming a legit Super Bowl contender as long as Rodgers is still the team's quarterback and not use a first rounder in this year's draft to acquire another one in two years.