What would be this season's catchphrase?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There may be hope for you yet:) I used to feel the way you do. I watched every game no matter what. When I bought my store I closed on Sundays during FB season so I wouldn't miss them. Every loss got me bummed until the next game. My house is full of Packer memorabilia and I still search Ebay every day for certain things. For me it all changed when my nephews started playing youth football and I started missing the Packer games because for me there really was no choice. Once I missed the first couple I started seeing the whole thing with a new perspective. Now I probably miss as many games as I see because of the way things have worked out for me but I'm fine with that. As long as you level of support makes you happy that is all that matters. I just feel a little bad for you that your feelings towards Ted takes away from your enjoyment. From other aspects of my life I know how it feels to have something beyond your control have such an important and negative impact on what you get out of it.

Lol. I just bought a Packer burn pit the other day. I've been through the youth football thing with my kids and running sales teams on weekends so I've missed my share of Packer football over the years. I'm 44 now and really don't need to work much anymore. This is how I wanted it. I still find much enjoyment in the Packers or I would of thrown in the towel. It's a lot of fun going to both Lambeau and seeing family in Green Bay as well as catching a game or two on the road and getting perspective from oposing fans. For the most part I'm having the time of my life. I even upgraded our timeshare to be able to be more flexible while travel to Packer Games.

I just want Ted Thompson to get a corner that can cover. Is that too much to ask for?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[

I just want Ted Thompson to get a corner that can cover. Is that too much to ask for?[/QUOTE]

And you shall have one.....in 3 or 4 years.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what happens when fans take this game too "personally".....and possibly alcohol is involved too ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I would never break something valuable but after the fail Mary call there was a $12 box fan in my living room that never worked again...

H

HardRightEdge

Sometimes I wish I could do it the way you do but I just can't and believe me I've tried. I guess its just the way i'm wired. It's not "free" for me but it is my choice to make it that way. Some people go all out on bird watching, stamp collecting, golf or hunting. I choose to do it with the Green Bay Packers. It's a passion for me and I belive when your passionate about something you have a good chance to be good at it. I've been fortunate to work very hard in my young adult life so I have the time and resources to follow the team at the level I do. I wouldn't change any of it.

The only thing I would change is getting this phony NFL GM out of Green Bay because the Packers truly are wasting years.

He'd be a great GM for let's say "Walmart". His cost effective approach would certainly make him a star there. He loves cheap ****.
Cap space is rolled over year after year since 2011 and it's not as though a large war chest has accumulated. Even if no other veterans are signed, by the time the rookies are signed and the 53 man roster and PS is set, the $21 mil in cap space will be down to about $16 mil. And if you have to replace a half dozen IR season equivalents with minimum salary rookies, then it's $13 mil by seasons end.

Further, among the 2018 FAs (Adams, Linsley, Taylor, Clinton-Dix, Burnett), Thompson may want to extend one or two of them soon eating into this year's cap. And then there's Rodgers looking for a raise.

Even if he doesn't extend anybody, the $13 mil left at year end would amount to about $2 mil per year unspent on average.

"Cheap" is not the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would never break something valuable but after the fail Mary call there was a $12 box fan in my living room that never worked again...
Fitting that game was against Seattle!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap space is rolled over year after year since 2011 and it's not as though a large war chest has accumulated. Even if no other veterans are signed, by the time the rookies are signed and the 53 man roster and PS is set, the $21 mil in cap space will be down to about $17 mil. And if you have to replace a half dozen IR season equivalents with minimum salary rookies, then it's $14 mil by seasons end.

Further, among the 2018 FAs (Adams, Linsley, Taylor, Clinton-Dix, Burnett), Thompson may want to extend one or two of them soon eating into this year's cap. And then there's Rodgers looking for a raise.

Even if he doesn't extend anybody, the $14 mil left at year end would amount to $2 mil per year unspent on average.

Then how about "misappropriation of funds"? lol

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Cap space is rolled over year after year since 2011 and it's not as though a large war chest has accumulated. Even if no other veterans are signed, by the time the rookies are signed and the 53 man roster and PS is set, the $21 mil in cap space will be down to about $17 mil. And if you have to replace a half dozen IR season equivalents with minimum salary rookies, then it's $14 mil by seasons end.

Even if he doesn't extend anybody, the $14 mil left at year end would amount to $2 mil per year unspent on average.

They could create another 11 mill in cap space by just releasing 1 player who hasn't been all that effective lately. They could do something similar with Cobb next year to keep Adams locked up. As i've pointed out before the salary cap is expected to hit 200 mill within the next few years.

Thompson is not utilizing the cap correctly when it comes to fielding a good secondary. Whether it's being cheap or allowing his ego to get in the way it isn't happening. I believe it to be a combination of being cheap and ego. If I knew he was gonna be this reluctant to go out and get a corner I wish he just would of paid Lang and Hyde and potentially Jones.

As it sits now we have too many holes and he is gonna have to hit a lot of home runs in the draft to have a chance at a Super Bowl. He is gonna need his best draft ever.

You got a team like Dallas being called "the team of the fiture" and Atlanta hovering 1-2 million under the cap. The Patriots sitting at just 7. TT is not pressing hard enough to keep up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

So you think that after a non SB season he told his players that the season was a complete waste and they were a bunch of losers. You don't think that he could find some positives about a season that did not end in a SB victory.

I'm absolutely convinced that Lombardi considered not winning a championship a failure. He might have found some positives out of a season while falling short but he for sure didn't conduct business as usual afterwards like the current front office.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to argue with any of that, and we'll never know for sure what Vince really thought, but there are a bunch of caveats.

For one, I'd bet that much of his outlook, as it is with some of us on the forum, was based on expectations. Although his first season was 7-5, 3rd in conference, it followed a 1-10-1 season, last in conference - I'd have to think even he was not displeased with the result. The next year, first in conference, losing the championship as Bednarik pinned Taylor while time ran out. That had to hurt, thus the next two years of 'that isn't going to happen again' championships. Finishing 2nd in '63 couldn't have made him happy, but going 11-2-1 anyhow may have been helped (except that both losses were to the Bears :)). The down year in '64 set the stage for the final run.

Lombardi, from what I remember and have subsequently seen and heard, was a master psychologist, dealing as needed with each player, not so much with the team. Tough love, TLC, and everything in between was used to get the most production out of each guy.

Also, he didn't have to deal with the union, salary cap, or free agency.

Finally, Vince assembled the roster that Vince coached.

Wholeheartedly agree that not getting the brass ring had to eat him up inside and that he took action as a coach and GM to rectify the situation - just noting that nothing is as simple as it seems.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced that Lombardi considered not winning a championship a failure. He might have found some positives out of a season while falling short but he for sure didn't conduct business as usual afterwards like the current front office.

Yup. After the 1960 Championship loss his exact words were
Vince Lombardi said:
"Remember this feeling because this will never happen again"
and it did not! He'd probably roll over in his grave if he hears we're satisfied with being a "top" team without winning anything.

H

HardRightEdge

They could create another 11 mill in cap space by just releasing 1 player who hasn't been all that effective lately. They could do something similar with Cobb next year to keep Adams locked up. As i've pointed out before the salary cap is expected to hit 200 mill within the next few years.

Thompson is not utilizing the cap correctly when it comes to fielding a good secondary. Whether it's being cheap or allowing his ego to get in the way it isn't happening. I believe it to be a combination of being cheap and ego. If I knew he was gonna be this reluctant to go out and get a corner I wish he just would of paid Lang and Hyde and potentially Jones.

As it sits now we have too many holes and he is gonna have to hit a lot of home runs in the draft to have a chance at a Super Bowl. He is gonna need his best draft ever.

You got a team like Dallas being called "the team of the fiture" and Atlanta hovering 1-2 million under the cap. The Patriots sitting at just 7. TT is not pressing hard enough to keep up.
I was responding to the contention that Thompson is "cheap". There's little evidence to suggest that. As noted, $2 mil per year on average under the cap over what will be 7 seasons is hardly being cheap.

If Atlanta is $1-2 mil under the cap (I won't bother confirming that) then here's what it means:

They will have to clear space to sign rookies, bring their roster to 53 (the cap number currently is for top 51) and fill out the PS. They are likely in a "who else ya got?" situation at a couple of positions. In other words, they have a player or two they are overpaying, don't have anybody on the roster they'd want to take that guy or those guys, so they're looking to replace that guy or those guys in the draft.

Further, if they enter the season with near zero cap space and a guy or guys goes to IR, they're going to have to cut a player who's more expensive than the IR replacement.

It's worth noting that some veteran players with some tread left on the tires will be cap casualties after the draft in the Atlanta or a similar scenario. It happens every year. Now, their old contracts might have been excessive before but there is a clean slate once cut.

Thompson may have more cap in reserve than in prior years at this juncture with an eye toward picking up a vet or two after the cap casualty cuts. If not, look for a couple of extensions. Either way, the cap space seen now as excessive by season's end is not likely to be so.

H

HardRightEdge

Then how about "misappropriation of funds"? lol
Point taken, but I don't quite see it that way.

When he pays his own guys, it's what the market will bear within an upper limit value assessment. He raised his bid on Cobb to his upper limit and it stuck. He raised his bid on Tramon Williams to his upper limit and it didn't stick.

The problem isn't what he pays them at the time of the contract is signed; it's what happens after that. He's stuck with a few high priced guys that have under performed for a couple of years now with injuries as a factor, Cobb and Matthews primarily.

If they are healthy and return to form, then we will forget this conversation (and some of these entire threads) and find some other reasons why the Packers did not win the championship.

Matthews, besides getting an evident injury free pass, also falls into the "who else ya got?" category. I don't think Belichick would forego $11 million in cap savings even with nobody to take his place. He'd take the savings and go into the FA market or work a trade for a replacement or replace the guy in the draft and shore up another position with the savings. Thompson is not Belichick.

What I understand least in the Cobb scenario is how he'll put up numbers to compensate for the $6.1 mil cap savings were he to be released. Part of the problem last year for Cobb is that with Cook, and Montgomery out of the backfield and slot, there was not quite enough ball to go around. And those two guys missed playing time. With Nelson picking up where he left off last year (which was quite different from where he started), Adams, Bennett and Montgomery, you'd reckon there would be a Cobb ball shortage.

The answer may be in the WR bench. If the top 5 targets including Cobb stay healthy, the numbers probably won't justify his money in a post-season assessment. But after Nelson-Adams-Cobb, there's a deep fall off. Cobb is the answer to "who else ya got?" in a Nelson/Adams injury scenario. There are at least of couple of million bucks in the insurance policy.

Now, if Thompson drafts high for a WR might Cobb then be one of those post-draft casualties? I doubt it, but it is conceivable. How about drafting high for an OLB making Matthews a casualty? That's less conceivable since rookie 3-4 OLBs at the Packers draft position rarely show themselves to be 3-down players as a rookie, while the bench is equally questionable.

The fact Thompson has held onto this much cap space is an indication he'll release neither regardless of who he drafts since, quite simply, he won't need that space.

H

HardRightEdge

Yup. After the 1960 Championship loss his exact words were

and it did not! He'd probably roll over in his grave if he hears we're satisfied with being a "top" team without winning anything.
Well, that feeling was felt for 2 years, wasn't it? Going forward, 5 out of 7 wasn't too shabby, though. ;)

It's a funny thing. Hating losing may be a more powerful motivation than loving to win. Personally, I hate losing (though my motivation has nothing to do with this). Just sayin'. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

While I mentioned Rodgers in passing in the above I don't think I emphasized that factor enough.

Rodgers thinks he's about due for a raise. That's hard to argue given what QB contracts have looked like in the last couple of years. Part of the cap savings now may be for a Rodgers bump this year or next.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I mentioned Rodgers in passing in the above I don't think I emphasized that factor enough.

Rodgers thinks he's about due for a raise. That's hard to argue given what QB contracts have looked like in the last couple of years. Part of the cap savings now may be for a Rodgers bump this year or next.

Redoing Rodgers contract would in and of itself create a huge cap savings. This team- and by extension a lot of posters here- don't seem to understand that there are a multitude of ways to create cap space, rather than just looking at the current number and saying,"well, that's that".

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could increase Rodgers' average salary over the next few years without increasing or even reducing his cap hit for 2017 or '18 by giving him a significant signing bonus though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I would be getting rid of both Cobb and Matthews after this season.

H

HardRightEdge

Which is reason #1 why we don't win more titles.
It also the reason why nobody wins more titles. By the time teams catch up to his personnel changes and scheme adjustments the season is over, then it starts all over again the next year. Belichick is a constantly moving target, seemingly always a year ahead of the league.

H

HardRightEdge

Redoing Rodgers contract would in and of itself create a huge cap savings. This team- and by extension a lot of posters here- don't seem to understand that there are a multitude of ways to create cap space, rather than just looking at the current number and saying,"well, that's that".
So you say.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers thinks he's about due for a raise. That's hard to argue given what QB contracts have looked like in the last couple of years.
Poor Aaron needs some more money now that he's going to have to replace a hottie like Olivia Munn lol.