What to do about the 49ers running attack?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How do you think our run defense will do? Any interesting observations? I've been going back and watching the highlights of our last three loses against the 49ers, trying to figure out what exactly has been the key to our defeats.

A missile defense system might be helpful. Honestly, I have no useful input on what the Pack might do to level the playing field since the last 3 games -- and surface-to-surface missiles just seemed a viable alternative.

There comes a time when you have to admit that 'on paper' the 9'ers have superior talent and/or the Pack just don't match up well against this team. Or...the 9'ers O.C. is vastly superior to the Pack's D.C. -- and thus far, I think that both of the previous statements are true....based on the 3 previous outings.

However, THIS game has NOTHING to do with the previous 3. This little baby is a whole new set of downs with the ball that takes funny bounces...perhaps THIS time, Capers doesn't get caught with his pants down again. Maybe, just maybe, he gets his creative juices flowing and devises a scheme that the 9'ers don't already have a predetermined response for. Sometimes ... the team that has lesser talent just plays better...doesn't make stupid coverage lapses...stays in it's rushing lanes... displays more heart ... than the more talented team. Can any football team win on heart over talent? You bet your *** they can. It is just a matter of how badly they want it ... and how sick they are of getting their ***es handed to them by these guys.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There comes a time when you have to admit that 'on paper' the 9'ers have superior talent and/or the Pack just don't match up well against this team. Or...the 9'ers O.C. is vastly superior to the Pack's D.C. -- and thus far, I think that both of the previous statements are true....based on the 3 previous outings.
Well in all fairness, in those 3 previous outings, the Packers had their best player on defense, Clay Matthews. And he played great in week 1.
Also, in week 1, the Niners did NOT have their best WR in Michael Crabgrass.

Nick Perry is less healthy now by a mile.
Casey Hayward is long gone.
Eddie Lacy is banged up.
Jermichael Finley is in rehab.

Meanwhile, all 11 of the 49ers offensive preferred starters are....... wait for it..... healthy and starting. Wow.
So are all 4 of their preferred starting LBers, as well as the great Justin Smith on the DL.
Imagine that, all those key guys magically healthy.
If we, as banged up as we are, can beat them, as ironmanish as they are, it would be a miracle.

soho9erfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in all fairness, in those 3 previous outings, the Packers had their best player on defense, Clay Matthews. And he played great in week 1.

Eddie Lacy is banged up.

Meanwhile, all 11 of the 49ers offensive preferred starters are....... wait for it..... healthy and starting. Wow.
So are all 4 of their preferred starting LBers, as well as the great Justin Smith on the DL.
If we, as banged up as we are, can beat them, as ironmanish as they are, it would be a miracle.
I don't think Hayward played in Week 1 if that helps :)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eddie Lacy is banged up.

That's why I just can't see a Packer victory on Sunday. The frigid weather also probably means more running game, and with SFs OL and Frank Gore plus Kaeperdinck's scrambling, they have the advantage there as well vs. a hobbled Eddie Lacy.

The Packers' best bet IMO is probably to beat them through the air and then use the running game to make them pay for not stacking the box. That will be hard to do in sub-zero weather.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Packers will suddenly learn how to tackle, get off blocks, stay in their lanes or gaps. If all that happens, and it's not been characteristic all year, they can limit Frisco's ground game and pull the upset in this game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the defense played with discipline even with all the injuries this would be a much better defense. I watched the Bears game again and it was evident that guy's couldn't get off blocks and did not contain on a regular basis. This is Football 101 smh.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we address a new question. Instead of worrying about how our #25 defense is going to stop their #24 offense, how about we examine how on earth their #5 defense is going to stop our #3 offense -- our BALANCED #3 offense that ranks 7th in both rushing and passing. Pick your poison.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole game is pretty much a wash. You have the #3 offense going against the #5 defense and the #25 offense going against the #24 defense. If we had Rodgers and Cobb all season long, odds are high that we would have finished with 12 wins too. Home field swings the game our way.

Our offense is #11 in scoring and it has faced a gauntlet of top defenses, and we also just got our offensive weapons back.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we address a new question. Instead of worrying about how our #25 defense is going to stop their #24 offense, how about we examine how on earth their #5 defense is going to stop our #3 offense -- our BALANCED #3 offense that ranks 7th in both rushing and passing. Pick your poison.

- The 49ers offense is #11 in scoring.

- Here are the rankings of some of the defenses we've faced

Seahawks (twice): #1 defense
Panthers: #2 defense
Saints: #4 defense
Cardinals (twice): #6 defense
Texans: #7 defense

- We just got some key offensive weapons back

- The 49ers don't run the score like some teams. They go ultra conservative and play the clock when they're up 2+ scores.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
55 - andy mulumba...the guy has been making some plays. I'm hoping this will be his best game yet.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

Ours is tied for 8th in scoring and we just got ours back too.

OK.... so not too far part, and again...

With the return of Aaron Rodgers I absolutely concede that the Packers have a better offense. But unfortunately for the Packers your defense is already miles behind the 49ers, and on top of that suffering from key injuries.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What to do about the 49ers running attack? Tackle.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.... so not too far part, and again...

With the return of Aaron Rodgers I absolutely concede that the Packers have a better offense. But unfortunately for the Packers your defense is already miles behind the 49ers, and on top of that suffering from key injuries.
And your pass rush has been nearly non-existent for the last month or so, and you've also got two hobbled DBs going into this game whether they play or not. Like it or not, regardless of your defensive ranking for the season, your defense has, in fact, taken a step backwards lately. Ours has stepped up since the Thanksgiving game.

BTW, since you're fond of using your opponents' defenses as an excuse to mitigate your sub-par offense, I can play that game too where our defense is concerned. Here are the rankings of some offenses we've faced:

Eagles: #2 offense
Lions (twice): #6 offense
Bears (twice): #8 offense
Redskins: #9 offense
Bengals: #10 offense

We can play this stats game all day long.

If you want to pretend your boys are going to run away with this thing, fine... whatever helps you sleep. Both teams are different than they were in Week 1. If either team brings anything short of its A game, that team will lose tomorrow. And yes, I'm saying you better bring your A game. Good luck.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And your pass rush has been nearly non-existent for the last month or so, and you've also got two hobbled DBs going into this game whether they play or not. Like it or not, regardless of your defensive ranking for the season, your defense has, in fact, taken a step backwards lately. Ours has stepped up since the Thanksgiving game.

BTW, since you're fond of using your opponents' defenses as an excuse to mitigate your sub-par offense, I can play that game too where our defense is concerned. Here are the rankings of some offenses we've faced:

Eagles: #2 offense
Lions (twice): #6 offense
Bears (twice): #8 offense
Redskins: #9 offense
Bengals: #10 offense

We can play this stats game all day long.

If you want to pretend your boys are going to run away with this thing, fine... whatever helps you sleep. Both teams are different than they were in Week 1. If either team brings anything short of its A game, that team will lose tomorrow. And yes, I'm saying you better bring your A game. Good luck.

Only 1 of those is even a top 5 offense and you're number #24 in points allowed. And since we're talking about so-called weaknesses the 49ers are the #11 scoring offense. That's hardly "subpar".

Scoring offenses:

Green Bay: #8
49ers: #11

Scoring defenses:

Green Bay: #24
49ers: #3

We both have key offensive weapons who recently returned, and the return of Rodgers is more significant. The biggest disparity is your defense. What's more, your injuries on defense are much more significant. None of our starting DB's are blue chip players.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We both have key offensive weapons who recently returned, and the return of Rodgers is more significant. The biggest disparity is your defense. What's more, your injuries on defense are much more significant. None of our starting DB's are blue chip players.
Which is exactly why you can expect Rodgers to light your DBs up tomorrow.

But you go ahead and dismiss our #3 offense (which probably would be #1 if we hadn't been without Rodgers and Cobb for half of the season). You better hope your defense doesn't buy into their own hype.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the "experts" would tell us we should be most worried about Boldin and Davis. I'm most concerned about Crabtree making too many big plays.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the "experts" would tell us we should be most worried about Boldin and Davis. I'm most concerned about Crabtree making too many big plays.

I'm worried about all of them. They showed Boldin's 3rd down stats earlier today, they're otherworldly.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There in lies the rub for defenses. Crabree, Davis and Crabtree take turns having big days. Defenses can't really focus on shutting down all three at once.

Their best bet is to put more pressure on Kaepernick and hope the O-line doesn't pick it up. The 49ers O-line is suspect when it comes to pass protection, but on the flip side the Packers' best pass rusher is out.

I'm nervous about today. I won't wish you luck but I'll wish for an injury free game for both sides.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only 1 of those is even a top 5 offense and you're number #24 in points allowed. And since we're talking about so-called weaknesses the 49ers are the #11 scoring offense. That's hardly "subpar".

Scoring offenses:

Green Bay: #8
49ers: #11

Scoring defenses:

Green Bay: #24
49ers: #3

are you really comparing crabtree comeback to Rodgers and cobb coming back?

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
49ers D is way better I give you that but lucky for us all we have to do is out score the 49ers! Bring it!

Members online

Latest posts