What the hell is going on out there?

D

Deleted member 6794

A "**** show of season" when we are about to play for the division and be in the playoffs next week.

By this crazy high standard, you wouldn't be happy with anyone on the Packers staff.

The Packers were one play away from going to the Super Bowl last season and had the highest scoring offense in the league. With the unit returning all starters and the defense improving it was expected the team being one of several if not the favourite to win the Super Bowl. I'm sorry but competing for the division title doesn't cut it for me under these circumstances.

While by clinching a playoff spot the Packers still have the chance to get hot for the playoffs there shouldn't be any denying that this year's performance (especially on offense) has been a major disappointment. In addition with the way the team has played since week 3 I don't have any faith in them getting hot this season anymore.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Rodgers away from the team and they went 2-5-1 without him. It gives a clue as to really is responsible for the Packers success. Just about anybody would have had the Packers success with Rodgers. Without Rodgers TT and MM would gave been long gone already. What bothers me the most about MM is that the team rarely plays a full game. They just look for reasons a to let their foot off the gas. MM teams just don't show much mental toughness especially now that Woodson's leadership is gone. I'm tired of the same one and done attitude. I think that MM is an average coach who is way over his head this year trying to patch up a limited roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

They just look for reasons a to let their foot off the gas.

I agree that Rodgers is the main reason for the Packers success since 2009 but McCarthy taking the foot off the gas during games is a myth which I've posted some facts about not long ago.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A "**** show of season" when we are about to play for the division and be in the playoffs next week.

By this crazy high standard, you wouldn't be happy with anyone on the Packers staff.

Just to be fair, let's go back and see what DNA said, in addition to the part you quoted. First, "What we're talking about is here, now, today, and where this team is headed going forward.", so, as of today, what does this team/season look like? It is 4-5 since the bye, the last one of which was a real butt-kicking. And, just before your quote, he said "what is turning into", meaning we're not there yet, but indications are that's where we're headed - given recent performance, hard for many to argue with the assessment.

Don't know about DNA, but your last sentence does sum up at least my feeling on the staff, as well as the majority of the players.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget, when you take away Rodgers you'd get to take away his salary too, do you think this team would look exactly the same if they didn't have Rodgers? Or do you think they'd be built differently?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Rodgers away from the team and they went 2-5-1 without him. It gives a clue as to really is responsible for the Packers success. Just about anybody would have had the Packers success with Rodgers. Without Rodgers TT and MM would gave been long gone already.
I firmly believe this!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were one play away from going to the Super Bowl last season and had the highest scoring offense in the league. With the unit returning all starters and the defense improving it was expected the team being one of several if not the favourite to win the Super Bowl. I'm sorry but competing for the division title doesn't cut it for me under these circumstances.

While by clinching a playoff spot the Packers still have the chance to get hot for the playoffs there shouldn't be any denying that this year's performance (especially on offense) has been a major disappointment. In addition with the way the team has played since week 3 I don't have any faith in them getting hot this season anymore.

Just to be fair, let's go back and see what DNA said, in addition to the part you quoted. First, "What we're talking about is here, now, today, and where this team is headed going forward.", so, as of today, what does this team/season look like? It is 4-5 since the bye, the last one of which was a real butt-kicking. And, just before your quote, he said "what is turning into", meaning we're not there yet, but indications are that's where we're headed - given recent performance, hard for many to argue with the assessment.

Don't know about DNA, but your last sentence does sum up at least my feeling on the staff, as well as the majority of the players.

I'm not saying this season hasn't gone as well as we expected, but a "**** show" is an overreaction, especially when the season isn't even over yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't forget, when you take away Rodgers you'd get to take away his salary too, do you think this team would look exactly the same if they didn't have Rodgers? Or do you think they'd be built differently?

18 starting quarterbacks earn at least $16 million a year. So having a different QB on his second contract wouldn't result in the Packers having significantly more cap space.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Half Empty.
This is a second tier team. They're in a rut ; every year it's win the division , get double digit wins, and go to the playoffs. That's fine in and of itself, but it seems to be the ceiling here now.
Every year it's someone else. The Giants, then the 49ers, then the Seahawks, now the Cards and Panthers have passed us by. Who will pass us next year- the Vikings?
The Packers continue to do the same things every year , and IMO, unless things are done differently, they won't even be able to maintain the status quo. The slippage we are seeing is real. We are pretenders, not contenders.
And if TT cannot or will not change to meet the challenges ahead by getting bolder and more aggresive, and if MM has become stale and run out of answers and ideas- and if he is losing the team- then changes need to be made before retooling and reloading becomes a full blown rebuilding job.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a "**** show" is an overreaction,
This is a perfect description for the way they have played since the bye week.
To add insult to injury, the Packers have been 1 and done in the playoffs in the odd years since 2009.
So if history is the prognosticator............

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers is the main reason for the Packers success since 2009 but McCarthy taking the foot off the gas during games is a myth which I've posted some facts about not long ago.
Last year's NFC championship game was not a myth. It was a collapse that started with a terrible coaching mistake. Anybody with a minimal football iq would have been able to predict the fake fg.and have the team play for the fake. Fact is the Packers rarely Pl ay an entire game with much intensity.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The butt kicking shows us how far we have declined. Losing the game was one thing. But what happened was not just an off Sunday. It became apparent that we are not one of the elite teams in the league any longer. And that hurts considering we were one play from the SB as the Captain just said. And with Rodgers window closing it hurts even more because his predecessor started every game as a Packer from 1992-2007 and only had one SB crown with 2 appearances. Rodgers has one and it may be one and done.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The butt kicking shows us how far we have declined. Losing the game was one thing. But what happened was not just an off Sunday. It became apparent that we are not one of the elite teams in the league any longer. And that hurts considering we were one play from the SB as the Captain just said. And with Rodgers window closing it hurts even more because his predecessor started every game as a Packer from 1992-2007 and only had one SB crown with 2 appearances. Rodgers has one and it may be one and done.

Packers are having issues, but even in those games there have been spurts of great team work in certain drives. So the Packers have what its takes. What ever is causing the issues can be overcome so I would not say one and done.

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year's NFC championship game was not a myth. It was a collapse that started with a terrible coaching mistake. Anybody with a minimal football iq would have been able to predict the fake fg.and have the team play for the fake. Fact is the Packers rarely Pl ay an entire game with much intensity.

I know a lot of fans use last year's NFCCG as evidence for the Packers taking the foot off the gas when having a decisive lead but taking a look at McCarthy's tenure it's a myth. The team has won 57 out of 59 when leading by at least 16 at one point, with 39 of those wins featuring a point differential of 16+ at the end.

It's pretty easy to blame Slocum for the fake FG resulting in a TD in hindsight but it wasn't obvious the Seahawks would try it. In addition Hawk could have easily prevented the TD but screwed up mightily.

Packers are having issues, but even in those games there have been spurts of great team work in certain drives. So the Packers have what its takes. What ever is causing the issues can be overcome so I would not say one and done.

While the Packers have the talent to make it work on offense I don't have any confidence they will click in the playoffs after watching them struggle since week 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A
I know a lot of fans use last year's NFCCG as evidence for the Packers taking the foot off the gas when having a decisive lead but taking a look at McCarthy's tenure it's a myth. The team has won 57 out of 59 when leading by at least 16 at one point, with 39 of those wins featuring a point differential of 16+ at the end.

It's pretty easy to blame Slocum for the fake FG resulting in a TD in hindsight but it wasn't obvious the Seahawks would try it. In addition Hawk could have easily prevented the TD but screwed up mightily.

While the Packers have the talent to make it work on offense I don't have any confidence they will click in the playoffs after watching them struggle since week 4.
As a fan I knew the fake fg.and was on the way. Why didn't MM figure that out? The Seahawks needed 7 points a fg would have been a boost for the Packers. It's the kind of bone headed mistake that cots teams championships. If the Packers stick with MM they will compete for the crown of the lousy NFC north buts that's it.

D

Deleted member 6794

As a fan I knew the fake fg.and was on the way. Why didn't MM figure that out? The Seahawks needed 7 points a fg would have been a boost for the Packers. It's the kind of bone headed mistake that cots teams championships. If the Packers stick with MM they will compete for the crown of the lousy NFC north buts that's it.

You realize that Slocum was the one calling special team plays last season, don't you??? And once again if Hawk does his job on the play there's no way the Seahawks score a TD on it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Rodgers away from the team and they went 2-5-1 without him. It gives a clue as to really is responsible for the Packers success. Just about anybody would have had the Packers success with Rodgers. Without Rodgers TT and MM would gave been long gone already. What bothers me the most about MM is that the team rarely plays a full game. They just look for reasons a to let their foot off the gas. MM teams just don't show much mental toughness especially now that Woodson's leadership is gone. I'm tired of the same one and done attitude. I think that MM is an average coach who is way over his head this year trying to patch up a limited roster.
Really. People state all of this crap about the genius TT and McCarthy when in reality any team with a QB close to the ability of Rodgers rarely has an off year. And people on here can complain about Rodgers all they want, but he's a competitor and the only guy on that offense who even shows a pulse. I'd love for Adams to get upset or show any sort of sign of disappointment.

Members online

Latest posts