What the h*ll is going on around here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Buggybill asked for opinions and I gave mine. Nothing more. Then you come charging in three days later all confrontational because I gave it

That's unfair IMO. Charging in three days later ! Have you thought he might not have been around for those three days ?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get this and have been guilty of it myself in the past, but if people can`t do that then you have to face the consequences if they do something silly (again, speaking from experience here).
There are rules in place. and if people can`t abide by the rules, maybe this isn`t the site for them ? Just saying. And I mean nothing personal by that.
I think the whole point (that was pointed out by others as well) was that too many subjective rules eventually kills a forum, or at least degrades its quality over time. Nothing lasts forever, and this is one thing that can hasten the inevitable.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Buggybill asked for opinions and I gave mine. Nothing more. Then you come charging in three days later all confrontational because I gave it. BTW, people don't usually have feelings that someone is referring to them unless there is some degree of merit to it. So since you would never do that, why on earth would you think that?

Well, that's not a fact.

Why I came in 3 days later;
#1--Because you didnt make that ironic post till then.--not charging, or confrontational. If you made that post 1 day later, I may not have seen it
#2--I wanst even posting before that. Look at my profile.
#3-- What does it matter if I came in a week later to point something out?

I never denied that you and I have issues..So it has merit.

In the past you specifically told me not to micromanage. In this very thread you used that word again about what mods shouldn't do. Since you have never told other mods not to micromanage, the only logical conclusion is you are refering to me in this thread. So yes I believe it is a fact

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your saying you agree with me that if an adult you shouldnt need a button to ignore something...But a few posts bak you wanted a button to ignore a thread..

I missed this yesterday. See, this is a prime example of you having an incessant need to argue with me about anything and everything. I said I agreed with you about something and instead of simply accepting that, you turn it into something else to argue about. If that's not baiting I don't know what is. The point was that such a feature might be helpful for those who are a little more impulsive.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never denied that you and I have issues..So it has merit.

So you admittedly share some responsibility for those issues? Then why not put me on ignore and set it so I can ignore you in terms of normal forum posts? There are plenty of other forum cops to police me who I get along with and who get along with me. Surely you wouldn't miss me!

In the past you specifically told me not to micromanage. In this very thread you used that word again about what mods shouldn't do. Since you have never told other mods not to micromanage, the only logical conclusion is you are refering to me in this thread. So yes I believe it is a fact

Well, you're free to believe what you want. If you want believe the sky is blue and orange plaid, more power to you. And no, it's not the only logical conclusion. Opinions were requested and one was given. I would have said the exact same thing on any other forum. Believe it or not, my world doesn't revolve around you.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
I think the whole point (that was pointed out by others as well) was that too many subjective rules eventually kills a forum, or at least degrades its quality over time. Nothing lasts forever, and this is one thing that can hasten the inevitable.

Hmm "Subjective rules" you agree to them when you sign up at any forum through the terms of use. You see these places are not "public" but 99 % owned by a someone paying the bills. As far as killing forums ..over the last 20 years almost all the undermoderated forums went under while those that had at least some moderation or heavy moderation have survived.( That's why some of those big boys went under..unreadable)

Allowing trolls and those that want to say whatever and whatever has never worked on sports forums. This isn't a cut on you personally sir but the way it is in the world of sports forums now. Different era of posters.

I had to clean up this very site many years ago when the rules were thrown out the window. Complete cluster. Appreciate your mods because they get paid nothing to keep the site moving . Two cents

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit it, I never read any rules when signing up for pretty much anything :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So you admittedly share some responsibility for those issues? Then why not put me on ignore and set it so I can ignore you in terms of normal forum posts? There are plenty of other forum cops to police me who I get along with and who get along with me. Surely you wouldn't miss me!

Your saying you agree with me that if an adult you shouldnt need a button to ignore something...But a few posts bak you wanted a button to ignore a thread..

Of course I share in some of the responsibility of our issues..

you having an incessant need to argue with me about anything and everything. I said I agreed with you about something and instead of simply accepting that, you turn it into something else to argue about. If that's not baiting I don't know what is. .

No I am not trying to argue whats so ever..Or baiting..Or get a rise out of you..

My exact words were please shed some light on this..because you gave two different answers..

• You are ignoring content by this member.
longtimefan said:

GoPGo said

Simple. There are some people who don't have the willpower to resist a topic that they might want to bow out of and would do better if they had the ignore feature. I personally never used that feature on the old Celtics forum but I know many did.

You answered my question, but I was baiting you? Really?

its funny, you say I am trying to be argumentative yet I asked a question and you answered but I am baiting?? And the funny part is I think you are being obstinate most of the time when you talk to me.

BTW I did have you on ignore, but I was alerted by others you replied to me, so I took you off.

I stated in our PM that I was going to ignore you. I have ignored you many times and for weeks on end..You are about the only poster that I have ever had to ignore...I have no issues ignoring you again..We even told you talk to Kitten when you have any issues because I wanted nothing to do with you..

Kitten and The Drew both had talks to you on how you reply to me, yet you still do the same things over and over again, I think even Rob had talks with you..Specially when you should have been banned, but we allow you to stick around.

So again, talk to Kitten or Rob or the others if you have an issue..I have you on ignore again.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm "Subjective rules" you agree to them when you sign up at any forum through the terms of use.

Okay, you missed my point. Nothing wrong with rules. The problem is when there are too many subjective rules. Subjective of course means open to variable interpretation. That makes it difficult to know what is and isn't allowed.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the funny part is I think you are being obstinate most of the time when you talk to me.

And do you not likewise think the same most of the time? The problem is there is no trust between you and I and we both probably tend to think the worst of the other's motives and take things the other says in the worst way possible.

BTW I did have you on ignore, but I was alerted by others you replied to me, so I took you off.

I was talking about being able to put you on ignore so I don't even see your normal posts. Just like I have 3 or 4 others on ignore.

So again, talk to Kitten or Rob or the others if you have an issue..I have you on ignore again.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

There are rules and agreements everyone accepted to be a poster here.

Part of it says mods can alter a thread or post as we see fit.

When a poster has a post/thread moved, locked, edited, merged or what ever, posters can have real issues with that. It is almost as if a mod has no right to do that.

We all have personalities and that means we may view things way different than you. So if a mod edits or moves or locks a thread, it could be that your personalities dont see eye to eye on same subject...Why is is that posters tend to forget that and view it as an insult and get pissed at the mod?

We also can ban when we think it is warranted.

Contrary to popular belief, I, Kitten or Rob dont ban because we "feel like it"
My point is the "rules" are applied so inconsistently as to appear capricious, if not random.

Thread after thread wanders off topic, with which I personally have no problem, but they are shut down on a random basis. Shutting down a thread because posts "add nothing new" was truly unique. If those two rules were consistently applied, there wouldn't be many threads getting past page 1. Yet they do.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

This thread is repetitious. Nothing new is being added. It is growing vituperative. I'm shutting it down. ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My point is the "rules" are applied so inconsistently as to appear capricious, if not random.

Thread after thread wanders off topic, with which I personally have no problem, but they are shut down on a random basis. Shutting down a thread because posts "add nothing new" was truly unique. If those two rules were consistently applied, there wouldn't be many threads getting past page 1. Yet they do.

There are times that everything can be done exactly same way all the time, and sometimes it is a matter of opinion.

Some posters thought the thread was old and had to be locked. You and others thought it didnt have to be locked.

For most part, when we do something we will make some wonder why and some will applaud it.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

There are times that everything can be done exactly same way all the time, and sometimes it is a matter of opinion.

Some posters thought the thread was old and had to be locked. You and others thought it didnt have to be locked.

For most part, when we do something we will make some wonder why and some will applaud it.
Yeah, well I wonder why and I hear nobody applauding.

You know how it looks from the outside when you kill some of these threads and don't kill others? It looks like some squeaky wheel filed a complaint and was given some grease. Your reply suggests as much. So I suppose there's some silent hands clapping somewhere.

Frankly, your arbitrary and at times random decisions make it appear that the mods don't actually do much monitoring of the proceedings around here to apply some semblance of consistency. I would say it seems like overreacting to cry baby complaints, but I won't. That might be deemed offensive.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

It's a privilege to be allowed to a member here.
Not exactly. The posters here are more accurately customers, in one form or another, even if they only contribute to the eye ball and click counts. Even sticky participants who haven't contributed toward the revenue stream might some day.

Heck, that's the whole foundation of the free internet service business model. I don't think I'm disclosing any secrets here.

I

I guess we`re damned if we do, and we`re damned if we don`t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moderating is as subjective as picking the best all-time (whatever). The fact that this thread has the legs it has is a pretty good indication that we're given a lot of rope to hang ourselves. Extremes of moderation (either way) can be devastating to a forum.

I currently follow, but don't post to, two forums that are great examples. One is basically "thou shalt not fault anyone associated with green and gold", so virtually all threads are complimentary and followed by such diverse opinions as "great post", "+1", et. al. They even developed a separate forum for ranters be eventually banished several of us who failed to toe the line. That forum is dying a slow, painful death (based on number of posts) after once being a top Packer hangout.

The other one is moderated only to the extent that they hate quoting the immediately preceding post to reply to it. Other than that, it's pretty much a race to see who can come up with the most obnoxious, borderline obscene, off-topic, cutsie, and aggressive posts. Strictly a place for "look at me" posters, ala the idiot fans we see on so many broadcasts.

The remaining forums to which I post have varying degrees of moderation, but all will step in on occasion, almost always after some sort of "now, now, ladies, let's play nice" warning or two or three. I'm perfectly satisfied with that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, well I wonder why and I hear nobody applauding.

You know how it looks from the outside when you kill some of these threads and don't kill others? It looks like some squeaky wheel filed a complaint and was given some grease. Your reply suggests as much. So I suppose there's some silent hands clapping somewhere.

Frankly, your arbitrary and at times random decisions make it appear that the mods don't actually do much monitoring of the proceedings around here to apply some semblance of consistency. I would say it seems like overreacting to cry baby complaints, but I won't. That might be deemed offensive.

Actually, no one complained about your thread that got locked. My example was trying to point out that we can never please everyone with anything we do. I am sorry you mis took it that way.

It will always be that way. What ever you think we can do different, another poster not agree with it.

Are there times that people complain, of course..We then talk about it as mods and send opinions back and forth with each other and try to figure out what to do.

Your assumption that we dont do much monitoring is wrong. Off season is slow and not a lot of posts even happen..We all check in and look at things..But we cant see every post to "monitor" As season goes on, it gets very busy for us.

We do way to much to even consider we over react to baby complaints, one might think that is a slap in the face of the mods

The only thing I can offer to you is we will talk with Rob and see what can be done if anything.

I

I'll probably get shot down here, but I feel I need to put a moderator view of things. The members have the opportunity to be selective about what they read or not read. A moderators job is to trawl through everything new when we log in and look for problems brewing, so while you as members may join a thread and find a conversation that is interesting and not be aware because of a thread title that that same conversation may be being played out somewhere else anyway. I personally am in a different time zone from most of you so during a season can turn my computer on and find 150 plus comments have been made so have to read through them all before I can even start interacting ! Give us a break here, the mods are doing our best to keep things moving along here !

Okay, fire away !

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I posted previously, I don't think that thread should have been closed down, or at least not for the reason given. But given their task, the mods do a damn good job IMO, and the relatively few complaints that spawn threads like this one is evidence of that. I don't see a reason to "fire away" at Bill but would suggest he use a different verb than "troll" when describing a mod's job. ;)

I

As I posted previously, I don't think that thread should have been closed down, or at least not for the reason given. But given their task, the mods do a damn good job IMO, and the relatively few complaints that spawn threads like this one is evidence of that. I don't see a reason to "fire away" at Bill but would suggest he use a different verb than "troll" when describing a mod's job. ;)

Point taken TJV :D

I

I'll probably get shot down here, but I feel I need to put a moderator view of things. The members have the opportunity to be selective about what they read or not read. A moderators job is to trawl through everything new when we log in and look for problems brewing, so while you as members may join a thread and find a conversation that is interesting and not be aware because of a thread title that that same conversation may be being played out somewhere else anyway so we make adjustments accordingly. I personally am in a different time zone from most of you so during a season can turn my computer on and find 150 plus comments have been made so have to read through them all before I can even start interacting ! Give us a break here, the mods are doing our best to keep things moving along here !

Okay, fire away !

I changed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts