What is the offseason "MVP" move in your opinion for this upcoming season?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are in that dead zone between draft and TC/Pre-Season time period...so pardon the "hope of discussion" type thread. However, here is the posed question:

"Which of the off-season moves between the end of 2021 season and the start of TC 2022 that you feel will be the MVP of them all when the dust settles at the end of 2022 season?"

Rich Bisaccia hiring as our ST Coordinator

The Davante Adams Trade

Defensive extensions/retentions in to the future of Campbell and Preston signed for the foreseeable future (both to reasonable figures to boot)
*left Jaire and Douglas off intentionally for better conversation.

Draft approach to WR position. High prospect finally taken, prolific Day 2 guy and a gifted Day 3 flyer

The new "vets" guys brought in - Jordan Reed, Keisean Nixon, Sammy Watkins and Pat O'Donnell

The 2022 Draft Class

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this moment in time I am leaning between Bissacia hiring and the retention moves of Campbell and Preston...I almost just said Defensive retentions/extensions as a whole group but let's be honest you throw in the Jaire extension, Douglas resigning along with Campbell and Preston and its a no brainer the biggest most likely (odds wise) so to keep things interesting I left it at Campbell and Preston.

Since I did the above I will go the Bissacia route...and this is tough to say as honestly all the others are credible answers and to some degree will hopefully provide by season's end an argument for being the right answer (if that happens I foresee another excellent season in GB).

ST play last season was only consistent when it was doing bad....when inconsistency hit it was actually when a good swing would occur not the reverse which is what you strive for any unit. Rich Bissacia may very well be the biggest addition this team has had in the past three or four years if he can truly deliver a transformed ST play and mindset of the players which take snaps on them.

I mean put it this way...the last nine seasons according to Rick Gosselin's Special Team Rankings GB has averaged 26th in the league....Rich's teams (Cowboys/Raiders) have averaged 12th...GB only cracked the top 20 twice in that time and never top 15...Rich's teams cracked the top 20 every season but one and were a top 15 team 6 times...top 10 four times...top 5 three times!

Imagine what this team (that won THIRTEEN games) could have been with consistent and better ST play? I'm not saying we go undefeated...BUT that is easily worth a game swing I'd bet and may have changed the entire playoff debacle (not guaranteed though as we were terrible on Offense too) against the Niners.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of them seem good. I'll go with the Adams trade. Getting draft picks for him was awesome. And it allowed us to go get some high pick players that will have an immediate impact imho.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting the two defensive guys in the first and still getting a guy many had us taking in the first, in the second round.

I'm gonna interpret you are taking the final option of the 2022 Draft Class.

Honestly it is one of the most liked I've had of ours from top to bottom in quite a while since I've become a draft addict.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Adams trade is the best move they made in the off-season, but it's not the best specifically for the 2022 season.

For the present, the move made the team worse. In time, not paying that amount of cap space to a WR that old, and rather getting the cheap rookie contracts on the team will be very beneficial. But the positive returns are down the road.

My opinion-- the big "move" will be the investment in the defensive front 7. Adding Walker, Wyatt, and Reed to a group that didn't lose anything significant... that could end up being transformative.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Adams trade is the best move they made in the off-season, but it's not the best specifically for the 2022 season.

For the present, the move made the team worse. In time, not paying that amount of cap space to a WR that old, and rather getting the cheap rookie contracts on the team will be very beneficial. But the positive returns are down the road.

My opinion-- the big "move" will be the investment in the defensive front 7. Adding Walker, Wyatt, and Reed to a group that didn't lose anything significant... that could end up being transformative.
Seems like you say it is for the future and then say how good our D has become. Make up your mind. I think we are going to be better.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seems like you say it is for the future and then say how good our D has become. Make up your mind. I think we are going to be better.

Yeah, it does seem like that.

Here's what I mean.

For 2022 alone, Adams adds more value than the extra picks and cap flexibility. For the future, that's not the case.

Ok, now set that aside. Here's what I'm calling the "MVP Move of the Offseason for 2022":

Drafting Walker
Drafting Wyatt
Keeping Campbell
Keeping Smith
Adding Reed
Keeping Lowry

In other words, the construction of an elite front 7 to compliment an elite secondary.

Only one of those move (Walker) is necessarily tied to the Adams trade.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it does seem like that.

Here's what I mean.

For 2022 alone, Adams adds more value than the extra picks and cap flexibility. For the future, that's not the case.

Ok, now set that aside. Here's what I'm calling the "MVP Move of the Offseason for 2022":

Drafting Walker
Drafting Wyatt
Keeping Campbell
Keeping Smith
Adding Reed
Keeping Lowry

In other words, the construction of an elite front 7 to compliment an elite secondary.

Only one of those move (Walker) is necessarily tied to the Adams trade.
This kinda falls under solid GM performance. It covers a lot of territory, including getting an extra 1st and 2nd round pick for a guy who wanted to leave anyway. And then the players who were kept as a result of not paying Adams $28 or $30 mil/year. That deal alone had a huge impact on a lot of other moves.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Dante’s combined a bunch of the choices…..Cheater lol
I didn't mean to cheat. I'll just say Davante's trade, saving the club a ton of money, and leave it at that. Really, it never made sense to me to pay ANY WR that kind of money. Actually the fact that the Packers matched the Raiders' offer is more of a concern. But it never happened.......

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mean to cheat. I'll just say Davante's trade, saving the club a ton of money, and leave it at that. Really, it never made sense to me to pay ANY WR that kind of money. Actually the fact that the Packers matched the Raiders' offer is more of a concern. But it never happened.......

Right there with you…the cripple effect that would have had….

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with tyni that the Packers hiring Bisaccia as their special teams coach might end up being the most important move made this offseason. If the offense and defense perform at a similar level as last season an improved ST unit could make the difference in finally winning another Lombardi.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, get used to it now because it's only going to get worse.
Yeah pay scales are like ratchets that only go one way - up. I agree these comp agreements are here to stay and the top 5 WRs can be expected to get $25-$30 mil/year.

I hope the Packers don't fall for that though. IMO. it's too much to pay for one guy with a one-dimensional impact on the game. A QB affects the game in many ways, so I get why they make so much. For anyone else? I just don't see it.
I agree with tyni that the Packers hiring Bisaccia as their special teams coach might end up being the most important move made this offseason. If the offense and defense perform at a similar level as last season an improved ST unit could make the difference in finally winning another Lombardi.
Even if STs could improve to the point where they do no harm, that would be a huge improvement. But I think Bisaccia sees STs in a different light - a unit that can and should contribute to wins every game. That mentality has not been present in GB for many years. STs has been defined by how well Crosby does. He's one important part. There's a lot more to it though. Most SB champions have one exceptional unit - O or D - but STs is almost always strong.

And GB fans should know this! Who was the MVP in the 97 SB? It wasn't Favre. How soon we forget.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah pay scales are like ratchets that only go one way - up. I agree these comp agreements are here to stay and the top 5 WRs can be expected to get $25-$30 mil/year.

I hope the Packers don't fall for that though. IMO. it's too much to pay for one guy with a one-dimensional impact on the game. A QB affects the game in many ways, so I get why they make so much. For anyone else? I just don't see it.

Even if STs could improve to the point where they do no harm, that would be a huge improvement. But I think Bisaccia sees STs in a different light - a unit that can and should contribute to wins every game. That mentality has not been present in GB for many years. STs has been defined by how well Crosby does. He's one important part. There's a lot more to it though. Most SB champions have one exceptional unit - O or D - but STs is almost always strong.

And GB fans should know this! Who was the MVP in the 97 SB? It wasn't Favre. How soon we forget.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Great pic! Howard was also on the cover of SI following the win. I think he had around 250 total yards. He's in the broadcast booth now and looks as good as he did in 97.

So yeah, let's get STs in on the action. They win games now and then!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope they give samori toure a shot at returns.
Oh I'm sure they will. I just don't think Amari Rodgers is the right guy. He's only played one year and deserves another shot though. That first year in the NFL can be overwhelming. I hope he does well.

Reaction score
If the offense and defense perform at a similar level as last season an improved ST unit could make the difference in finally winning another Lombardi.

So yeah, let's get STs in on the action. They win games now and then!
Totally agree. Probably a top 3 move as far as overall importance. The hiring of Rich and his Assistant also. The key is the emphasis on ST altogether, as we should see a revamped unit with resources pumped into the equation.

Its apparent our answer to last season is to inject that ST phase with a good steroid shot. We saw Rich bring a couple key coaching and player personnel over from LV.

I also won’t be surprised if Matt doubles down and we get bold and see a WR or LB from this draft class either returning kicks/punts or on the coverage unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope they give samori toure a shot at returns.

Oh I'm sure they will. I just don't think Amari Rodgers is the right guy. He's only played one year and deserves another shot though. That first year in the NFL can be overwhelming. I hope he does well.

Don't overlook or forget how good Kylin Hill looked attacking on returns as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't overlook or forget how good Kylin Hill looked attacking on returns as well.
Yeah Hill was good in the open field. Good reason to keep him as the third back. Wasn't there another FA they brought in for PRs? Somebody named Moore maybe?????

Reaction score
Yeah I Almost forgot about Khylin
I’m kinda hesitant to put him back there returning after that pretty serious injury. I’m not sure how they feel about that, but yes, he was definitely no Will Blackmon!

I’d like to see more of him from out of the backfield this year. I think he could might be a diamond in the late Day 3 rough

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Hill was good in the open field. Good reason to keep him as the third back. Wasn't there another FA they brought in for PRs? Somebody named Moore maybe?????

You're thinking of David Moore - emergency stop gap last year that attempted to help. Coincidentally he was just arrested for drug and weapons charges July 4th in North Texas.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I Almost forgot about Khylin
I’m kinda hesitant to put him back there returning after that pretty serious injury. I’m not sure how they feel about that, but yes, he was definitely no Will Blackmon!

I’d like to see more of him from out of the backfield this year. I think he could might be a diamond in the late Day 3 rough

To be fair he never had the time to showcase what he might have been...all signs point towards his health will be there and another chance.

I personally am intrigued to see if Tyler Goodson and BJ Baylor the two UDFA running back pick ups get chances to possibly return. Goodson has the speed at nearly 4.4 flat but the dude accelerates very quickly with elite 10 yard split of 1.51 plus explosiveness is illustrated in his broad and vertical both above 8.00s in RAS

Members online

Latest posts