What Should They Do?

Should the Packers fire Gutey and give Rodgers the extension that ties him to the team for the next

• Yes

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 81.1%

• Total voters

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all depends on the truth. If it comes out that Gute did renege on promises it certainly could have a ripple affect on other players. If it comes out that its more Rodgers just being difficult I don't think it will matter to other players even if we move on from him. Even if they are friends players will see the business side of it and in the case of Adams I think Green Bay will offer him more than any other team would just to keep him from getting to FA.

Good points but I’m not sure it would matter one way or another to an established vet like Adams. Adams is a 4 time pro bowler without a ring and he knows that Rodgers is his best shot to get one in G.B. Would he sign if he knows Rodgers is on his way out and will have to play with an unknown commodity at QB?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I 100% think this could have major affects on Adams decision to extend. How could it not? I know many are ready to cut ties with Rodgers but IMO losing both would cripple us which further complicates matters.
They're professional football players, he's going to sign where he wants and most of that is going to come down to where he thinks he can make the most.

If he could go to wherever Rodgers was for 25 million guaranteed or sign with GB and Love for 50 million guaranteed, you know where he's going to sign.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're professional football players, he's going to sign where he wants and most of that is going to come down to where he thinks he can make the most.

If he could go to wherever Rodgers was for 25 million guaranteed or sign with GB and Love for 50 million guaranteed, you know where he's going to sign.

well yeah when you’re talking 25 million dollar difference. But more than likely it’ll come down to location, chance to compete in meaningful games, and having a qb he won’t have to worry about getting him the ball. And the price difference will likely be pretty insignificant between bidders. Everyone knows his market price.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But not the only reason. all those other things about moving around the draft, continually turning over bottom of roster players looking for people that can help, and then I think they just had one of their better drafts in the first 4 picks this year. Gute has not been doing some lousy job. I think he's done a pretty decent job actually. Up until this point, most would have agreed I think.
Will be interesting how many fans want to watch a potential QB of Love running this team. Anyone believe that he is capable of putting this team into the playoffs? No one knows, the guy has played how many downs in the NFL? He was drafted 1st round and was a "leap" to go there; compare to this year's QB rookies, where would he be rated to succeed? Not saying Packers should bow to Rodgers, just saying, if he goes or retires this team will be stuggling to break even.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well yeah when you’re talking 25 million dollar difference. But more than likely it’ll come down to location, chance to compete in meaningful games, and having a qb he won’t have to worry about getting him the ball. And the price difference will likely be pretty insignificant between bidders. Everyone knows his market price.
Adams is going to be like everyone else, he's going to go where the money is. He believes in himself, that's why he's where he's at. He's the type that would likely elevate his game again because he has to help a lesser QB be better for the team to win.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points but I’m not sure it would matter one way or another to an established vet like Adams. Adams is a 4 time pro bowler without a ring and he knows that Rodgers is his best shot to get one in G.B. Would he sign if he knows Rodgers is on his way out and will have to play with an unknown commodity at QB?
I doubt Love is an unknown commodity to Adams like he is to all of us.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Love is an unknown commodity to Adams like he is to all of us.

I'm pretty sure he probably is. Adams didn't get much preseason practice with him considering Covid and, with limited time to practice during the week, do you really think they spent much time having the QB who was going to be inactive throwing with the first team offense?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather root for a great person on a good team than a despicable person on a contender.

ESPN radio guys did list of most unlikable QBs. Rodgers was #1 on both their lists. It's not just many Packer fans that are fed up. Funny thing is, one guy said that he was the #1 guy he wanted to watch play just didn't like him personally.
Despicable person...lol

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he probably is. Adams didn't get much preseason practice with him considering Covid and, with limited time to practice during the week, do you really think they spent much time having the QB who was going to be inactive throwing with the first team offense?
I think Adams had a chance to see Love throw quite a bit. Maybe not to him so much but I doubt Love was just always standing around.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Adams had a chance to see Love throw quite a bit. Maybe not to him so much but I doubt Love was just always standing around.

Coaches spend most of the practice time implementing game plans. Love was inactive. He was probably watching the vast majority of practice while the guys expected to play were throwing the ball around.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches spend most of the practice time implementing game plans. Love was inactive. He was probably watching the vast majority of practice while the guys expected to play were throwing the ball around.
Love would have run the scout team against the defense. Devante would have sometimes participated on that depending on the opponent. If we had a real preseason last year then they would have played together much more.

Edit:
Maybe not. Love was #3. I'm sure he tossed the ball around. I have seen video of him in practice. But far less than the #2.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Love was able to do much and is very much a question mark not only to fans, but also to the coaches and teammates. Nobody really knows until you get on the field for a while and Love didn't even really get to get on the practice field. They know what they thought they knew when they drafted him IMO and not much else.

If last year was a normal year and he played lights out in the preseason and maybe even a couple series in the regular season, Rodgers doesn't say Boo this offseason. I think half the reason this came up now is because he does have some leverage in that he played extremely well and Love is still pretty much a complete unknown so he's using that to his advantage to put more pressure on GB to give him more time and money.

If Love had an opportunity and proved his worth already last year, Rodgers wouldn't be trying to bluff the Packers because he'd already know the replacement was actually pretty good. But of course, none of us know this. and he's still basically potential in the eyes of the FO because he hasn't had opportunity to do much else. They didn't even have normal practices last year, which are already so limited to the point the backups don't get really anything meaningful after TC is over in the way of on the field work.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think that getting Lock would be the best option if we are forced to make a trade, although it would be nice to get a good receiver as well.

If we're trading Rodgers to move on to Love whytf would we want Lock or Derrick Carr. We want guys like Darren Waller, Patrick Surtain, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs
Ummm

They been trying...and per murphy this has been going on for months

Dude

Rodgers asked for extension right after season.

Gutey said no I just wanna restructure your 2021 roster bonus and base to signing bonus.

Now currently they have gone back and said ok we want to do an extension now...

I don't see anyone debating those facts

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not one for firing Gute yet, but if he can't win with a HOf qb, he isn't likely to ever get close with middling quarterbacks. If I were Murphy, I would tell Gute to get an extension done with Rodgers. That probably would mean trading Love or wasting his rookie contract but Gute screwed up and picked a replacement for AR too soon. AR's "worst" seasons are still excellent. AR didn't need a replacement in the 2020-2021 time frame. Gute's job should be tied to his 2019 draft class. He had a team only a few players from a SB and he basically drafted like he was in rebuilding mode. It was the craziest draft I ever saw and infuriated AR who wants to win a SB now. Gute horribly misjudged AR's career trajectory and started a transition too hastily which likely shut the Packers Super bowl window. If he can't fix his own mess then he should be fired but he should be given a chance to admit his poor judgement, learn from his mistakes and fix the smelly mess that he created. For everyone wanting to trade rodgers, be prepared for 5-12 seasons without him for a very long time. The chances that another HOF qb comes through the door are nearly zero. How many franchises have had 3 straight HOF qb's? Gute should be smart enough to understand that.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're trading Rodgers to move on to Love whytf would we want Lock or Derrick Carr. We want guys like Darren Waller, Patrick Surtain, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs

Dude

Gutey said no I just wanna restructure your 2021 roster bonus and base to signing bonus.

Actually there has been plenty of debate on that. Numerous reports were a different order. Packers came with the restructure, Rodgers said extension, Packers came back with extension (obviously not to Rodgers liking), Rodgers demands trade.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone wanting to trade rodgers, be prepared for 5-12 seasons without him for a very long time. The chances that another HOF qb comes through the door are nearly zero. How many franchises have had 3 straight HOF qb's? Gute should be smart enough to understand that.
I really, REALLY don't understand why GB is destined for 5-12, or 4-13 seasons without a HOF QB? How many HOF QB's have the Bears had since 1980? Their record in the last 40 years is 330-318 and we can all agree that their QB's have been garbage. How many HOF QB's has Minnesota had? Their record since 1980 is 344-304 and with the exception of a PO'd Brett their QB's have been garbage, also.

The Bears are hovering at average and have leveraged their future giving away picks in '22. Minnesota is on the decline for a few years. Detroit is on the rise but may take a few years to rebuild their roster but need a new QB to excel. IF Love can be above average this is still an NFC winning team in the playoffs if AR isn't around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually there has been plenty of debate on that. Numerous reports were a different order. Packers came with the restructure, Rodgers said extension, Packers came back with extension (obviously not to Rodgers liking), Rodgers demands trade.

That is essentially the same order all you did is switch the Packers asking for a restructure to first instead of second. Which by the way numerous national and local pundits have stated they did not need his signature to do...more importantly whether that happened first or second makes no difference.

Rodgers wanted a extension Packers FO wanted a simple restructure so they maintained the ability to move on from him after this season...at some point very recently the Packers FO has said they would do a market value extension.

I don't think they should do an extension with 3 years left on the deal but now they have painted themselves into a corner and pretty much have to if there's any hope Rodgers will return.

It all leads to the conclusion that it's probably true that at some point gute told Rodgers he was going to be traded prior to the 2021 draft

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is essentially the same order all you did is switch the Packers asking for a restructure to first instead of second. Which by the way numerous national and local pundits have stated they did not need his signature to do...more importantly whether that happened first or second makes no difference.

Rodgers wanted a extension Packers FO wanted a simple restructure so they maintained the ability to move on from him after this season...at some point very recently the Packers FO has said they would do a market value extension.

I don't think they should do an extension with 3 years left on the deal but now they have painted themselves into a corner and pretty much have to if there's any hope Rodgers will return.

It all leads to the conclusion that it's probably true that at some point gute told Rodgers he was going to be traded prior to the 2021 draft

I do think it matters if rodgers said he wanted an extension and they said no we want to restructure. Or if they went to him with the restructure first. They may not have had to do that but knowing Rodgers they likely didn't want to restructure without his consent.

I guess I also don't see how this at all points it probably being true the Packers told Rodgers they would trade him.

In the end there are a lot of tea leaves that will all read different. I think the Packers wanted to restructure because they want to have options. Rodgers wanted an extension because he wanted control of the end of his time in gb. The Packer then moved toward an extension but probably were willing to give him all he wanted and an already strained relationship strained further. Anything about whether they were going to trade him, if he really wants Gute fired, stuff with kumerow, etc is all much more up in the air to me.

Have there been reports from other teams saying the Packers were open to trading Rodgers? Everything I have read from sources with other teams have said the Packers were not interested in trading him and the conversations ended very quickly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers will struggle whenever Rodgers moves on if they can’t adequately replace him. That’s true if it’s in 2021 or 2025. The transition will have to happen at some point. He’s 38 this year.

But if the organization starts firing front office executives because they aren’t giving say in the personnel department to players, then buckle up for a long ride into sub mediocrity. That’s not his winning organizations are run.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will struggle whenever Rodgers moves on if they can’t adequately replace him. That’s true if it’s in 2021 or 2025. The transition will have to happen at some point. He’s 38 this year.

But if the organization starts firing front office executives because they aren’t giving say in the personnel department to players, then buckle up for a long ride into sub mediocrity. That’s not his winning organizations are run.

I don't think Gute should be fired but he certainly should be learning from this. Just talking to Rodgers about draft picks doesn't take a whole lot of time and also doesn't make Rodgers the GM.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Gute should be fired but he certainly should be learning from this. Just talking to Rodgers about draft picks doesn't take a whole lot of time and also doesn't make Rodgers the GM.

To be fair no one, including Rodgers, has ever said they've never ever talked about picks with Rodgers - they just didn't the Love pick we know specifically.

As for the other picks Gute has drafted, he isn't going to re-do his entire draft board based purely on Rodgers' desires. I guarantee Gute spends more time in a day than Rodgers does an entire year studying prospects.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair no one, including Rodgers, has ever said they've never ever talked about picks with Rodgers - they just didn't the Love pick we know specifically.

As for the other picks Gute has drafted, he isn't going to re-do his entire draft board based purely on Rodgers' desires. I guarantee Gute spends more time in a day than Rodgers does an entire year studying prospects.

"Re-do the draft board" is a straw man. I said "discuss". Plus, who knows, a REALLY smart quarterback might actually be able to add some value to the draft board.

I agree Gute knows more about evaluating prospects but that doesn't mean he knows everything. Even if discussing things with Rodgers doesn't affect the first board one iota, it makes Rodgers feel more valued, and that value doesn't affect the cap.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Maybe.

Look, it's possible that Gutekunst was thoughtless and ham-handed in the way he approached this whole situation. I really couldn't say for certain. And if he was, then he absolutely needs to learn from this.

It's also possible that Gutekunst handled it fine, and he's dealing with a very arrogant, fragile person. In which case maybe the lesson that needs to be learned is on Aaron's end of things.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, REALLY don't understand why GB is destined for 5-12, or 4-13 seasons without a HOF QB? How many HOF QB's have the Bears had since 1980? Their record in the last 40 years is 330-318 and we can all agree that their QB's have been garbage. How many HOF QB's has Minnesota had? Their record since 1980 is 344-304 and with the exception of a PO'd Brett their QB's have been garbage, also.

The Bears are hovering at average and have leveraged their future giving away picks in '22. Minnesota is on the decline for a few years. Detroit is on the rise but may take a few years to rebuild their roster but need a new QB to excel. IF Love can be above average this is still an NFC winning team in the playoffs if AR isn't around.

Agreed, 7 out the past 21 Super Bowl winners have had a non-HOF caliber QB (including Denver in 2015 since that was a non-HOF season from Manning). It can be done. We have an up and coming defense. Maybe Joe Barry will be able to build a top 2 caliber defense good enough to win the SB with an average QB.

Reaction score

Dude

Because I think we need to get Love ready to play, which I don't think he is right now. However, I can see the argument for trying to improve the team overall as well, and it's true we are going to have to go through this transition at some point, but even then, you don't want to start him too early, you want to train him as much as possible.

Maybe we could also lean on the running game to carry the offense? I know that Aaron Jones is very good, but are our running backs and OL good enough to carry the offense without good QB play?

Members online

Latest posts