What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

• Total voters

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't want Andre Smith!

He showed up at he combine out of shape. He was MIA and later was found to have left the combine completely without telling anyone.

Too may red flags with this player.

Ted Thompson won't touch him.

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After I saw not only the way Andre Smith did as of late, plus whatever he got suspended for since I guess it didn't have anything to do with an agent, or at least what he says, I wouldn't want to touch him even at 9. He sure doesn't seem like GB material.

I wish Orakpo wouldn't have gotten hurt and finished his workouts today but there will be prodays for the scouts to see him again. I still think Maybin was the only one that impressed me as far as something to draft for that front 7 that I'm fairly confident would be there. I wasn't high on him before but he looked fast and fluid in drills especially for a college DE. Still don't like the 1 year wonder type factor but he definitely isn't the only one of those guys that's going to go early this year.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I'm backing off my choice on Maybin after watching him workout/run. He should at 6'3 249 lbs. be running at worst low 4.6's, they clocked him over 4.8. That worries me a ton, he is not a power player on tape at all and is going to have a hard time being an edge speed guy at 4.82! He did look fluid like prev guy posted and has a good burst but he is gonna get a rude awakening trying to run around pro off tackles. This whole draft class sucks compared to any of the past few years, a lot of these guys that are big dog type top 20 picks wouldn't even be first rounders in years past. A lot of these dogs have fleas! There are going to be a record amount of 1st round busts/disappointments from this group in my opinion.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
You don't want Andre Smith!

He showed up at he combine out of shape. He was MIA and later was found to have left the combine completely without telling anyone.

Too may red flags with this player.

Ted Thompson won't touch him.
Red flags, MIA, whatever.

There's a reason this guy was the top prospect coming out on most people's boards before all this. The guy can obviously play, he's obviously oozes potential, and I would take him. I realize people value character, but I value winning, and I think this guy can help us win. And as far as him being suspended for the Sugar Bowl last year, he was suspended for talking to an agent. I'm pretty sure he can do that all he wants in the NFL. It's not like he was caught with drugs or something.

And Ted Thompson took a guy that was injured (Justin Harrell), so never count anyone out.

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's anything that Andre Smith has going for him a lot of those other top guys didn't exactly blow any minds either. There didn't seem to be any Golston type workouts or anything. The only one that I was like "Wow" was for Aaron Curry I really didn't think he was going to go out there and run Patrick Willis type numbers.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NormalSizedMidget said:
If there's anything that Andre Smith has going for him a lot of those other top guys didn't exactly blow any minds either. There didn't seem to be any Golston type workouts or anything. The only one that I was like "Wow" was for Aaron Curry I really didn't think he was going to go out there and run Patrick Willis type numbers.

I agree, disappointing workout numbers as a whole. GB needs to find the dog with the fewest fleas, its going to be very very hard. Clay Matthews looked more like a possibilty at pick number 9 than some of the bigger names. TT needs to hit a homerun with this pick.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say "TT needs to hit a homerun with this pick" ???

And you are running around calling for him to pick Andre Smith?

You are either a TT hater who would like him fired or just simply ignorant.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flyguy4ever4 said:
Now I'm backing off my choice on Maybin after watching him workout/run. He should at 6'3 249 lbs. be running at worst low 4.6's, they clocked him over 4.8. That worries me a ton, he is not a power player on tape at all and is going to have a hard time being an edge speed guy at 4.82! He did look fluid like prev guy posted and has a good burst but he is gonna get a rude awakening trying to run around pro off tackles. This whole draft class sucks compared to any of the past few years, a lot of these guys that are big dog type top 20 picks wouldn't even be first rounders in years past. A lot of these dogs have fleas! There are going to be a record amount of 1st round busts/disappointments from this group in my opinion.

The 40 time is slightly concerning, but he also didn't do well in a couple of the positional drills that I saw. But then he looked amazing in the pass rush drill.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Maybin at all. I was very unimpressed with him his whole time at Penn State. He for sure won't be able to play DE for anybody running a 4-3 and I don't think he has the talent to be a linebacker. I would take Brown over Maybin all day long, but neither is worthy of a top ten pick IMO.

Don't get too caught up in 40 times folks. It's game speed that counts. Also linebackers need to be quick side to side as well and this doesn't show up in 40 times.

Many a GM lost his job falling in love with cats at the combine, but said players could never turn the combine numbers into W's on Sunday.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAMN. I've been on vacation, and I've just arrived. Just changed my mind. I wanted Brown, but Cushing is the man. The best linebacker in the 3-cone drill and in the bench press, have a really good time in the 40-yard dash, can play the ball better than the other DE/OLB, can pass rush, and has shown he is agile and strong enough. And if you think the numbers on the combine doesn't mean anything, that's wrong, because it proves that he has the will to train hard. And he has plenty of film and has very good college experience as a LINEBACKER, has played ILB too, has even played safety in college. I wasn't considering him because I though he wasn't physical enough. But damn, he's the pick.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said the combine numbers didn't matter at all. To me a player that comes ready and blows up with great combine numbers is someone to look at over a player who comes in out of shape and ducks the combine. Also, a player with outstanding combine numbers can also be a player that can't crack the starting line-up on Sunday's

On Cushing: I am a little concerned about the possible history of steroid use. As I write this I have not seen a negative test result. And even with a negative test now there is some validity to reports he used steroids in High School. This does send up a red flag for me.

And even with no steroids I don't see him as a first round pick. He is a mid-second round pick in my eyes.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steroid use? In the NFL??? That's new to me. I allways though that a 250 pound human being with 6% body fat being more agile than a ballet dancer was something very natural. Cmon, man, they are freaks, but it's impossible for any human being to do what they do just by working out and being physically gifted...
About Cushing, I think the best move we could do is to trade down and pick him. I think he could be there at mid-one. I disagree that he's a mid-second round. But if he could fall to our second pick, that would be great, but I don't see that happening, specially with his combine...

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. Wasn't reffering specifically to you about the combine, and I actually agree with you. The 40-yard dash is overrated (except for wide receivers and running backs, but it's not the most important atribute), and in some cases bench press too, but the 3-cone drill is very indicative. A player without lateral speed cannot play in the nfl.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Cushing going to the Patriots. I personally am not sure what to think of him, but he wasn't even the best linebacker on his team last year. I know some think that all three USC linebackers will be taken in the first round but I don't see it. For some reason Cushing reminds me of a Lamar Woodley type player who has a lot of physical tools that can be brought out in the right system. And New England is the kind of team that could make him a solid player.

packer98

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What player in New England's system isn't solid? They know how to draft, pick up FA's and what players go well with there systems. I bet everyone had Vrabel high on their wish lists, right? lol

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
You say "TT needs to hit a homerun with this pick" ???

And you are running around calling for him to pick Andre Smith?

You are either a TT hater who would like him fired or just simply ignorant.

I wasn't running around, I was sitting at my computer. I also wasn't advocating TT to select Smith, I was simply bringing up the possibility of him sliding down and TT having to consider his talents. I don't agree with TT all that much but would never root for him to fail, just want GB to get the best player they can at pick #9! Crucial draft for Teddy Boy and the franchise, a great draft/offseason could put GB over the top, they are not a typical 6-10 team, they have to take advantage of getting a top 10 pick!

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok haha. We good!

I'm glad you stand behind Ted because many seem to just ***** without offering solutions. That really bothers me. I never get a answer from these "Fire Ted" people when I ask them; Who would you replace him with that would do a better job? Always get total silence and then a little grumbling.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freefromwhatyouare: Who did you choose for the GB pick in the poll? Who are you liking to be the next GB packer???

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't read my posts Fly?

haha

I like Malcolm Jenkins with the number nine pick. I worry he won't slip past Cleveland. I have a little bias with Jenks but I've known this cat for a long time and he is gonna be special in the NFL>

I PROMISE you this.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I agree that he will be one of the best, but we can win it all with our current secondary. But we cannot reach the superbowl without somebody better at OLB, DT, DE and OL. And it doesn't seems that we will get these improvements by FA (maybe DE)... Jenkins would be the best player available, but not our most need...

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson has made it pretty clear in the past his position on drafting need over value. We don't need to look any farther than the Jordy Nelson pick last year for proof of that. He's always going to take what he feels is the best player available

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Cartunist23,

Yeah I think you hit it right on the head. Ted is indeed always looking for the best players and is not going to pass on someone he really likes because for example he doesn't know if Mark Tauscher is going to be 100% this season.

PackerRS seems to think that need is more important than finding top quality players. It would be foolish to pass on a corner you think you would be "one of the best ever" to pick a OLB you think lesser of to fill a hole.

Fans often get way too caught up in *perceived* "need" One doesn't know what goes on in meetings and what players they already have that may fit what the fans may think is a "Desperate Need"

You could see players who weren't starters last year come in this year and be a impact starters at OLB or etc.

When you have a player very high on your board and he falls to you; you nab that player regardless of position. It has been proven many times in many years that this is the best approach to the draft. If it didn't work then why do the best GM's always use that approach?

Cuz it works!

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
You don't read my posts Fly?

haha

I like Malcolm Jenkins with the number nine pick. I worry he won't slip past Cleveland. I have a little bias with Jenks but I've known this cat for a long time and he is gonna be special in the NFL>

I PROMISE you this.

If he is the best player on the board then I'm all for it, I don't care if he only plays nickel or dime his rookie year. I couldn't think of two better big physical corners for the kid to learn from than Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Film on him looks very good, and he was awesome the few times I watched OSU this season, he did look more like a safety in pro's to me than a CB or almost a guy right in the middle of both positions. I loved the way he hits people and plays the ball pretty well. If he comes out and runs a 4.42 or something like that on his pro day(which I'm feeling he will) he probably won't last til pick 9. Biggest question is How is GB going to play pass defense with their CB's now with Capers and the 3-4 defense??? Because GB was like 90% bump/run man coverage, are they going to be the same or way more zone stuff.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
PackerRS seems to think that need is more important than finding top quality players. It would be foolish to pass on a corner you think you would be "one of the best ever" to pick a OLB you think lesser of to fill a hole.
First, when I say best ever I don't mean best of all times, I mean current best. Like Asomugah is one of the current best...
I think Jenkins will be the best pick. But when I say draft a need, I don't mean pick a guy that will be worse. I think Champ Bailey at his prime is better than Casey Hampton. But Hampton changes your defense yards per rush to about 1.0. The guys that fit our need will be exceptional, too. Maybe not at the level of Jenkins, but they will be. And defense is very different from offense. If you have good WR, but a guy like Moss is available, you take him, because he can ALLWAYS make the difference. In the defense, if you have a guy like Bailey, teams will just not throw at him, and run the ball. In the offense, you can choose what play you run, so your better guys will show up all the time. In defense is very different...

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is sure whether Jenks will last 'till the ninth selection, but we can hope.

Flyguy I share your doubts about Al Harris and others playing a lot of zone coverages in Capers defense. Now Dom is not stupid and will run a hybrid 3-4. He will work his defense to fit the strengths of the players he ends up with.

I was in favor of moving Woodson to safety but it's looking more and more like that isn't going to happen.

Al Harris excels in bump and run coverage and can throw a WR off his route with the best of them. He is a liability in zone and can't cover bigger stronger WR's one on one. It looks like they are going to keep Al for at least one more year but I am very skeptical of his possible success in Capers defense. I also have no confidence in the back-ups Will Blackmon, Tramon Williams and Pat Lee.

I do think if they do end up keeping Woodson at corner he could be successful as he is good enough to play in any system. He doesn't have the negatives that Al Harris does. Al Harris has always been overrated to me and I feel he will be exposed even more(As he was against teams with bigger stronger WR's) if he starts this season.

Many will say "why the heck pick Jenkins" we have so many other needs" well I feel CB is a "need" on this team.

I would take Jenks even if the Packers had 3 or 4 good CB's he is that good. But seeing that they only I have one aging CB I have any faith in; CB becomes a "need" in my mind.