What Rookies Make The Roster?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: What 2007 Draftees Make Roster?

James Jones - #4 WR behind DD, GJ and yes Fergie

IMO Fergie would have to far exceed the other potential 3 or 4 recievers due to the contract amount and the light penalty in cap hit that it would cost to cut him. The hit from Darius altered his career path.. don't think he will ever reach his once possible potential. My opinion.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dhpackr said:
James Jones - #4 WR behind DD, GJ and yes Fergie

IMO Fergie would have to far exceed the other potential 3 or 4 recievers due to the contract amount and the light penalty in cap hit that it would cost to cut him. The hit from Darius altered his career path.. don't think he will ever reach his once possible potential. My opinion.
I sadly agree with this. I like Fergie, and wish he would have recovered better mentally from that cheap shot.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know the hit Fergie took altered his career, but he is a 220 lb WR who has some great hands. He can play special teams, and block well on running plays. If Fergie "CAN STAY HEALTHY" I think he may suprise a few people and make the team.
IMHO
DD, GJ , Fergie > DD, GJ, Jones

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think ive heard one fan call them any of those

Me either, but I think whenever James Jones makes a catch now, I will be compelled to say "OH YEAH!".

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAN'S VIEW

1 Justin Harrell DT - Perennial Pro-bowler in his later years. DT's just get better with time, and this kid doesn't have knee problems, which is a plus.
2 Brandon Jackson RB - Key back-up for a few seasons, but not a star.
3 James Jones WR - Pro-bowler by his 3rd year, he has two things you can't teach - Hands and toughness.
3 Aaron Rouse S - Back-up - Special Teams, future linebacker back-up for another team.
4 Allen Barbre OT - Back-up Early, Will fill in well for either Tauscher or Clifton.
5 David Clowney WR - Kick-Returner and dime reciever this year... Imagine K-Ro and Clowney returning kicks for us.
6 Korey Hall ILB -Reserve Linebacker and Fullback, special teams player of the year.
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - Practice Squad
6 Mason Crosby PK - Nothings special, will show signs of an all-pro, which will keep him around for a few years, but in the end he'll be a flop.
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Practice Squad, will be signed away by another team, but will be a deadly 3rd down weapon for another team.
7 Clark Harris TE - Nothing, will be kept around because he was a draft pick, but will be off the team by his third year.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, the only way Clowney makes this team is if he can return kicks or punts.
I hope he can, as we need serious help in that phase of the game.

Would it be good or would it be not a good sign if all this years draft picks made the team?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wynn might surprise. He may have the tools for this system plus he is big enough to play some FB and versatility is big these days.

Some of these guys played in systems that may have not featured what they can really do. I know Florida likes to throw it a bunch.

I know a lot of people have dogged the Jones pick but what type of offense did they run? Who was the QB? He may very well have great #3 WR strengths (which is what we need) and may be more suited for that position than some other bigger names who would not excel at the #3.

There's a lot more that goes into evaluating these guys than how many catches they made and how fast they are or how many yards they ran for.
I know Florida getting Urban was not a god send for the RB's where a swing pass is a run in that offense.

The hard thing for Wynn will be getting reps with all the RB's out there. That position is really crammed. Whoever makes the roster there has earned it.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ROOKIES' PICS

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/gallery.aspx?catid=626

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=galleryindex

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Rouse

Clowney

Jones

Crosby

Harrell

Harris

Jackson

Barbre

Rookies

[align=center]ECHO "ME" COMING[/align]

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ROUSE

JONES, DRIVER, ET AL

HARRELL
'sigh'

"R man" from another packer site had a sideline pass and has an identical Harrel image, however the quality is far superior. Why, if you are going to thieve a graphic, you wouldn't use the same quality is beyond me.

"R man" has quite a few pictures that are pretty neat. I'll PM him and see if I can get permission to host/post them here for you all to see.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of just skimmed this but James Jones will not be on the practice squad. He'll make the final roster and probably end up being the 3 or 4 on this team.

Here are my thoughts

1 Justin Harrell DT - Potential Starter but I see Corey Williams starting
2 Brandon Jackson RB - Potential Starter but I see Vernand Morency starting
3 James Jones WR - #3 WR
3 Aaron Rouse S - I think he'll start
4 Allen Barbre OT - backup
5 David Clowney WR - #4 WR but I think he'll have a bigger impact than Jones.
6 Korey Hall ILB - Cut
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - makes on special teams
6 Mason Crosby PK - will be our kicker this year
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Cut
7 Clark Harris TE - Practice Squad

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CLOWNEY

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/05/packers-ink-fifth-round-draft-pick-david-clowney/

Packers Ink Fifth-Round Draft Pick David Clowney

Wide receiver David Clowney (Virginia Tech) has officially become the first Packers rookie to sign a contract with the team. Green Bay announced the signing yesterday on their team page, but did not give details of the agreement. Clowney, who was drafted in the fifth-round, has been impressive so far this offseason and it was clear the Packers wanted to lock him up. His agent, Brian Mackler, claimed the deal was for four-years. That is the longest contract a third-round pick or later can receive and will keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent until after his third season. Clowney caught 34 passes for 424 yards last season and 34 passes for 619 yards and three touchdowns in 2005.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ROUSE SIGNED

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/06/08/1/

Packers Sign Draft Pick Rouse

The Green Bay Packers Friday signed safety Aaron Rouse...Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement. Rouse, a 6-foot-4, 223-pound rookie from Virginia Tech, is the second of 11 selections to sign with the team. Chosen in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft, he joins college teammate David Clowney, a fifth-round pick signed Monday, as the first rookies under contract. Beginning his collegiate career at linebacker, Rouse made the switch to strong safety as a junior. In 2006, he earned the team's President Award, given to the most outstanding leader on defense. In 52 games at Virginia Tech, he made 24 starts and recorded 217 tackles and five interceptions.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reaction score
DT Harrell - Anything other than him starting is a disappointment. Having 2 of our previous 3 first rounders not being starters would be a cause for concern. I think he'll be starting, and that is why the Packers are being so careful in not over working him early on, and unnecessarily re-injuring him.

RB Jackson - He'll be the #2 guy behind Morency, but I have a feeling he won't stay down for too long. He just has something about him which I love, and I say before the year is out, he'll be the guy at RB.

WR Jones - #3 WR that will improve our red zone efficiency. Will add a toughness aspect to our receiving depth that we've lacked.

SS Rouse - Will be a backup at SS, and a ST demon. Won't start this year, but he will keep Manuel on his toes and constantly looking over his shoulder.

OT Barbre - back-up at the LG spot, with him eventually becoming a starter (I'm guessing long-term plan includes moving Colledge to LT).

WR Clowney - #5 or #6 WR that will be a deep threat, and a project player. I think he will be the KR this year, at least for the first few weeks until K-Rob returns.

LB/FB Hall - PS player that will gain more reps at FB in the hopes that he becomes a good one.

LB Bishop - makes roster as #5 LB and ST player. Will impact the STs in a positive way while he adjust to the NFL game at the LB position. Should provide competition for Popp in a couple of years.

K Crosby - Will be cut, and picked up by another team.

RB Wynn - PS player that will be a serious contender for a RB spot next season (unless he gets picked up off PS sometime during the year).

TE Clark - Cut, doesn't have skills to compete at TE on this level.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good post Tophat. I don't know these rookies a tenth as well as the average fan on this board, so I'll decline from commenting until I see them play. All I've seen were video footage from websites. I did like what everyone had to say though.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKER NATION (PN) POLL

How will WR David Clowney's rookie season pan out?

He'll be a key reserve. 52.9%

He'll start 4.6%

He'll earn Pro Bowl.... 3.6%

He'll ride the bench 30.0%

He'll be cut 9%

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PACKER NATION (PN) POLL

1 Justin Harrell DT - 50% playing time this year, next year 70%
2 Brandon Jackson RB - splitting time with Morency and one more back, gets more playing time later in the season. Splits time next year with about 50% of snaps
3 James Jones WR - hard to guess, I will say 4th WR
3 Aaron Rouse S - special teams guy, Needs a year of seasoning then starts or gone.
4 Allen Barbre OT - backup - every year they pick up some guy to be the left tackle behind clifton/tauscher may never see the field.
5 David Clowney WR - small fast guy, past history of these types suggests he may not make the team.
6 Korey Hall ILB - Cut, to much moving around.
6 Desmond Bishop ILB - makes on special teams
6 Mason Crosby PK - Cut, picks up and kicks for another team.
7 Deshawn Wynn RB - Cut
7 Clark Harris TE - Practice Squad

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NICKNAMES FOR ROOKIES

NICKNAMES FOR ROOKIES:

Justin "The Barrel" Harrel
Brandon "Action" Jackson