What position are you worried about?

D

Deleted member 6794

Capers starts well, then trails off.

I guess that's true for most head coaches getting fired, for example the great Bill Belichick won only five games during his last season with the Browns after winning 11 the season before that.

As I've mentioned above, Fangio, considered to be one of the best defensive coordinators in the league right now, was Capers DC for his entire tenure as head coach. Guess he's a terrible coordinator as well.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess that's true for most head coaches getting fired, for example the great Bill Belichick won only five games during his last season with the Browns after winning 11 the season before that.
A fresh field to plow, new horizons. Perhaps Capers should be given that golden opportunity...again.

I wonder how much it would cost to get out of that contract he signed not long ago. I bet it's more than the Hawk/Jones 2014 dead cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I think I for sure most worried about the corners, the way they just got worked by the Eagles and put a lack a faith in my mind. hopefully that tape gets them prepared for the regular season and they turn up cause other wise we are in trouble especially playing megatron twice a year.

michaelturi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not confidant we have a backup LT. I would like to see a player added to team roster or at least a better alternative added to practice squad.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not confidant we have a backup LT. I would like to see a player added to team roster or at least a better alternative added to practice squad.

Bulaga would most likely move to left tackle if Bakhtiari can´t play. Either Barclay or Walker would take over on the right side.

H

HardRightEdge

WR has to be a concern until we see if Jones has lost any of his chops.

In consideration of preseason performance, I'm concerned about the cover corner position opposite Shields and the nickel-dime coverage ILB.

A Hayward/Gunter combo will likely be serviceable; Randall and Rollins are not ready but might see the field in the early games to test these expensive investments.

The more I see of Ryan, the more I believe he should be the coverage ILB. Given his number of preseason snaps and when they've occurred, I expect he'll sit behind Barrington and Palmer at least to start out.

Pennel and Gaston have been pleasant surprises...I'm much less concerned about the D-Line's loss of Guion/Jones than at the start of preseason. Pennel for Guion in base and Gaston in the nickel/dime DT spot in place of Jones should prove serviceable or better.

I'd be more concerned about the O-Line if the injuries were more serious. Sitton says he'd have been playing if it were regular season, so he'll be on the field week 1. Sitton, Bakhtiari and Bulaga were all practicing last week. Lang is the question mark...I've not seen where he's yet to be released from the concussion protocol and he went through that process once before in 2013, so extra caution may be taken. While Lang's a very good player, this veteran line should be able to cover for one missing piece without too much of a loss.

H

HardRightEdge

Bulaga would most likely move to left tackle if Bakhtiari can´t play. Either Barclay or Walker would take over on the right side.
I would expect Bakhtiari to suit up week 1. That said, it's still a fair bet Bulaga would move to the left side if it comes to that even if he didn't take snaps there in preseason.

As recently as 3 weeks ago, we have the following:

“I know Bryan Bulaga can play left tackle,” coach Mike McCarthy said Monday, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “That’s something that we practice all the time. This is an opportunity for players to increase their value.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...could-still-play-left-tackle-for-the-packers/

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was concerned about WRs, only because a guy like Nelson has the ability to make a QB look good, and it's usually the other way around with QBs like Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers and Nelson had something special that I don't think will be replaced much before mid-season with Rodgers and Adams, if it can be replaced. Nelson worked very hard to become a top 5 talent in this league. Cobb will be great, but mostly out of the slot and his chemistry with Rodgers is already intact. It will be critical for the Packers to develop a consistent, reliable chemistry between Rdogers and someone on the outside, and I'm certain that has to be Adams.

And if that's where it stood then I would be aa little concerned about WR. But I'm also going to reverse myself on getting JJ back. I'll credit Captain with changing my mind. I posted here I wasn't crazy about that, but he's 31, in geat shape, knows the GB system, has some chemistry with Rodgers - and most important IMO, gives the Packers an improved Red Zone offense. Jones may prove enough of a distraction on the outside to keep opponents from covering up Adams. So with the benefit of hindsight, I like that JJ is back. and I think this WR unit will be fine.

For me that leaves ILB as maybe the weakest position unit on the team. But like cover corner, the addition of new talent, as yet untested, may step up - especially with CMIII in his first full season as a "wild card" at either ILB or OLB, and rookie Ryan showing some pass coverage skills. Rollins has flashed signs of being very good, but he's a rookie. As a first round pick, Randall should also contribute. But again, they are both as yet untested.

Like others I have been critical of Capers, but that can be successfully argued both ways. He's not going anywhere, and so to criticize him at this point seems pretty useless. Unlesss it gets so bad that he gets fired at some point, which sees next to impossible, I just don't see the point in criticizing him now. He has a lot of new talent to work with, and Pennel and Gaston have improved their play. I'll wait until the season is over to weigh in on whether Capers should be the DC. I won't hesitate to praise or criticize him during the season,, but the time to call for his head has passed.

STs is another matter. I haven't seen anything in the offseason to suggest they will be an improved unit. If they can all just remember their jobs, and if Zook is a good enough coach to make play-by-play adjustments (think fake field goal by Seattle, something the STs coach should have at least been looking for), STs will be OK as long as they don't make mistakes. I don't see the unit as a weapon, but please guys just play smart and hope that Zook is a much better game manager than Slocum. MM's weekly and in-game involvemennt will also help.

Sorry! This post has gone beyond the topic. I like Peter King's prediction of a GB victory over Batimore in SB 50 right here in Nor Cal!

D

Deleted member 6794

STs is another matter. I haven't seen anything in the offseason to suggest they will be an improved unit. If they can all just remember their jobs, and if Zook is a good enough coach to make play-by-play adjustments (think fake field goal by Seattle, something the STs coach should have at least been looking for), STs will be OK as long as they don't make mistakes. I don't see the unit as a weapon, but please guys just play smart and hope that Zook is a much better game manager than Slocum. MM's weekly and in-game involvemennt will also help.

I'm also worried about special teams as I haven't seen any improvement out of the unit compared to last season. I didn't like Zook's promotion when it happened and as of right now there's no reason to change my opinion.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zook really can't be as bad a coach as Slocum was, could he?

Did anyone catch Shawn's debut with ASU against Texas A&M?

Like McCarthy last January, Sun Devil head coach Todd Graham had this to say about Slocum's unit after Saturday's game (which featured an A&M punt return for a TD and a brutal roughing the punter penalty that destroyed ASU's momentum); ""Special teams really killed us."
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s--address-before-moving---cal-poly/71813144/

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also worried about special teams as I haven't seen any improvement out of the unit compared to last season. I didn't like Zook's promotion when it happened and as of right now there's no reason to change my opinion.
Yeah exactly. And there were other options to Zook. Again, if the unit can at least play mistake-free, GB as a team may be ok. Punter seems to be the most obvious positional weakness. As for returner, I didn't see enough from Montgomery to see him replacing Hyde. Hyde is probably the MVP on that unit anyway. SB contenders and winners, IMO, need to be outstanding on O or D, or both, and STs needs to be well above average. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but this unit looks essentially unchanged from last year.

And again, good call on Jones. I'm actually relieved he's back. I still think White was just the best option for #4 or 5 - I'll believe in him when he produces when it matters. I do like Janis,, primarily based on his size and speed. I just don't know that he can become an accomplished route runner, or sharp enough to pick up on audibles by Rodgers. Now if he develops that, and with Jones back, the unit has at least some size, speed in Janis, and a known producer in Jones. That's a lot of pieces to fall in place. Rodgers may have to be a little patient early in the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah exactly. And there were other options to Zook. Again, if the unit can at least play mistake-free, GB as a team may be ok. Punter seems to be the most obvious positional weakness. As for returner, I didn't see enough from Montgomery to see him replacing Hyde.

Unfortunately there were some well respected special teams coaches available this offseason but the Packers passed on them.

There's absolutely no reason to replace Hyde as the punt returner (if he's able to play in week 1), Montgomery will compete to return kickoffs though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, i didn't see anything from Montgomery that suggest he should replace Hyde at PR. Hyde just as that ability to move forward and slide past people. I didn't see that from Montgomery. Too much juking or just trying to run to the corner and to get to a corner, you have to run thru a couple guys first up field in this league it seems.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately there were some well respected special teams coaches available this offseason but the Packers passed on them.

There's absolutely no reason to replace Hyde as the punt returner (if he's able to play in week 1), Montgomery will compete to return kickoffs though.

Could not agree more.

Hyde is a very good (and surprisingly underrated) punt returner.

Meanwhile, Montgomery was Stanford's all time kickoff return leader I do believe. It is not like we are sticking a DuJuan Harris back there this season.

H

HardRightEdge

If Hyde is healthy for week 1, I'll be quite surprised if he is not returning punts.

H

HardRightEdge

I have one additional concern, that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet:

McCarthy's beard, which is looking suspiciously Farve-like. :eek:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have one additional concern, that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet:

McCarthy's beard, which is looking suspiciously Farve-like. :eek:

Personally, I am fine with all facial hair on any player, as long as AR doesn't grow back his "70's **** Star" Moustache :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

Personally, I am fine with all facial hair on any player, as long as AR doesn't grow back his "70's **** Star" Moustache :coffee:
Perhaps the Captain can do a data base query to determine Rodgers' career stats with facial hair vs. without, with a separate breakout for the fu manchu. ;)

Having no statistical basis, my gut says the fu or nothing is the way to go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps the Captain can do a data base query to determine Rodgers' career stats with facial hair vs. without, with a separate breakout for the fu manchu. ;)

Having no statistical basis, my gut says the fu or nothing is the way to go.

Fu is always the way to go!

H

HardRightEdge

Capers is a well respected defensive coordinator and for sure way better than a mediocre one. You should start thinking about putting some blame on the guys actually messing up on the field and the end of the NFCCG is a prime example for it.
Now, now...you don't want to have another thread closed do you? ;)

I had a reply prepared for that last thread, highlighting examples of where I will blame players and where I will blame coaching under some current personnel situations, only to have it go unposted. Since I find it tedious to recreate work, I won't.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought Montgomery was being considered for punt returns, or at least being tested in preseason. That doesn't really matter as it's hard to imagine anyone doing a better job than Hyde on punts. As long as he's healthy, he's the one to be returning punts.

It will be interesting to see who lines up first tomorrow on kickoff returns. From what I saw in preseason, Montgomery didn't do anything special but I may have missed some things. Punt returner is much more likely to change a game anyway. The placement of the ball on kickoffs and the strength of most kickers has really ratcheted up the number of touchbacks, and I think the NFL made this change a few years ago to cut down on injuries. Personally, I'd like to see them move it back so there are more returns and fewer touchbacks.

Members online

No members online now.