What position are you worried about?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the defensive coordinator is a "position" some fans are worried about, so I think talking about Capers should be fine in this thread. ;)
I'm not a huge fan of Capers but he has had his moments over the years. For now let the season play out. If the D maintains the momentum started after CMIII moved to ILB last year, and given the young, new talent at CB, I think the D will be fine.

STs is another story. From what we saw in the preseason, there's good reason to be worried. If any unit should know how to get 11 players on the field (versus 12, and then 10), it's STs. Scary. I view the punter as a key part of the defense actually, certainly as it relates to starting field position after a punt. Mathstay is not the guy anymore, if he ever was. And yeah I know, he holds for Crosby......

Sky King

Reaction score
First game; relatively warm and sunny day projected; no Hyde punt returns during preseason games; Hyde likely to start at safety and getting lots of snaps...I can see where they might spread the load just a bit by using Montgomery for all ST returns this week. It keeps them both involved.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought Montgomery was being considered for punt returns, or at least being tested in preseason. That doesn't really matter as it's hard to imagine anyone doing a better job than Hyde on punts. As long as he's healthy, he's the one to be returning punts.

According to Zook, if he isn't told differently by McCarthy (his words, not mine), Montgomery will return punts vs. the Bears.

The placement of the ball on kickoffs and the strength of most kickers has really ratcheted up the number of touchbacks, and I think the NFL made this change a few years ago to cut down on injuries. Personally, I'd like to see them move it back so there are more returns and fewer touchbacks.

I would prefer to have the kickoff moved back to the 30 again as well but because of the emphasis on player safety it won't happen for sure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Zook, if he isn't told differently by McCarthy (his words, not mine), Montgomery will return punts vs. the Bears.

I would prefer to have the kickoff moved back to the 30 again as well but because of the emphasis on player safety it won't happen for sure.
Really? I guess they might want to get him on the field and get Hyde off. Or Hyde is injured still? But he did not impress me as a punt returner. Hyde isn't flashy or the fastest guy or a dancer, he just moves past people and gets up field. Give me a guy like that every time to return a punt.

D

Deleted member 6794

Really? I guess they might want to get him on the field and get Hyde off. Or Hyde is injured still? But he did not impress me as a punt returner. Hyde isn't flashy or the fastest guy or a dancer, he just moves past people and gets up field. Give me a guy like that every time to return a punt.

I would prefer Hyde as the punt returner as well. But according to a Journal Sentinel article Zook is leaning toward Montgomery vs. the Bears.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope they've seen something we haven't, because I don't think the ability on punt returns between the 2 were even close. he did look like he could field them cleanly though, so that is good, but I think he relies too much on dance and thinking he's going to beat everyone to a corner and run down the sideline. Maybe with some experience he improves, but Punt returners seem to just be natural in their ability. It's not like route running, it's just instinct.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts