What Makes Faithful Football Fans?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I have the G on my right arm as a tattoo. So like the poster above I am in for life. got the NFL logo thing on my left arm.

The luggage on my back as well as death & death of rats. & the summoning dark & guarding dark.

& for those who have NO idea what they represent they are all from Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld

You`re a Discworld fan ??? Wow, me too. I did consider Carpe Juggulum as a tattoo a few years ago

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This may have something to do with the Packers after this season if 12 and 17 move on. They may have to lose other key starters due to the salary cap. The Packers may be sliding back to mediocrity. How faithful will Packers fans be once the rebuilding starts after being contenders for the last 28 years?
We'll find out who the real fans are.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that is an interesting question. I guess that I've been a "fan" since 1965. That's the first game I remember being at, at age 7. "Dad, who are the guys in green?" Seriously ... we had a black and white TV. So, my first exposure to the game was geography, or perhaps birth-right, as someone else mentioned. As you're all aware the Packers were a festering cesspool through most of my youth - and they may have been a steaming hot pile of dog crap, but, they were OUR steaming hot pile of dog crap. Call it what you will but the Packers made Green Bay and Northeastern Wisconsin "big league" although ostensibly, nobody wanted to play here.

Now, in a parallel universe, would I be a Vikings, Bears or Lions fan if the Packers didn't exist? Maybe substitute Duluth for Green Bay in this universe - would I be a fan of the Duluth Eskimos? Probably not even though someone once said that "without the Packers, Green Bay is Fargo". Would I be a "fan-of-the-game" if Dad and Grandpa hadn't chosen to expose me to the game and the Pack? Who knows. Would I have sat through the 70's and 80's in Lambeau having my finger nails pulled off with a pliers? Hard to say. Fact is that I did with the availability of tickets back then and the fact that Lambeau was 22 miles from where I grew up, almost a straight shot up County PP - again, geography. Truth be told, I always had a back up team in the 70's for the playoffs (because the Pack were NOT gonna be in the picture) - that would be John Brodie, Gene Washington, Hank Krueger and the 49'ers. Not because of geography - because of their colors and short passing game that set up Washington for their beautiful "post patterns".

So, the fans of teams that are today's cesspools and steaming hot piles of dog crap are probably saddled with the same issues - geography and birth-right. It's all they've known and I respect that. When our run of good fortune meets the cyclical end-game that is inevitable - I'll still be a Packers guy. A good number of today's Packers fan will probably abandon ship, i speculate ... because it'll mess up their plans for the upcoming Madden release AND they'll need to be associated with a winner - it's human nature. As I said, I'll still be Packers guy because Grandpa, Dad, buddies Jack and Scottie, Coaches Don, Al, Coach Richard (couldn't say "Di(k", Glen and Bob ... Cousin Monseigneur Bob (thanks for the tix, Sky Pilot) and Father Ray ... would be haunting my sorry keester from the grave.

Geography and birth right, brothers. Glad to be here versus one of the concrete jungle metro areas. :)
That's pretty much my story too and totally agree that I wouldn't want to be from anywhere else. I feel privileged and honored to be a Packer fan by birth right.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm across the pond & I understand the loyalty to a hometown team.

I am as fervent a fan as any born in Green Bay. My problem is distance time & money.

Win lose or draw Pack is MY team as much as it anyones.

hope I'm not causing offence just contributing to the discussion as to what makes afaithful fan.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm across the pond & I understand the loyalty to a hometown team.

I am as fervent a fan as any born in Green Bay. My problem is distance time & money.

Win lose or draw Pack is MY team as much as it anyones.

hope I'm not causing offence just contributing to the discussion as to what makes afaithful fan.
In many ways, it's fans that have less access that make better fans. Those who have everything readily available take it for granted. Nobody should be looking down their noses at fans how hail from areas far from Green Bay. They're special fans.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

In many ways, it's fans that have less access that make better fans. Those who have everything readily available take it for granted. Nobody should be looking down their noses at fans how hail from areas far from Green Bay. They're special fans.

Oh believe me, I have experienced THAT attitude a few times on here over the years, but for the most part people are great. I even had one fan, now long gone, who had never even seen the skies of Lambeau......lol

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
apparently you're not old enough to remember the packers "gory years". the three decades of crappy football that followed the lombardi era. yet the packers continually sold out their home games and fans bought every piece of memorabilia the team could produce - including completely worthless shares of "stock".
Loved going to games during that era. Still loved the team, still had favorite players and sure as heck appreciated the wins which were few and far between!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Wisconsin but went to college at the University of Minnesota. I am a die hard Gophers fan....and let me tell you, it is VERY hard to be a loyal fan of Minnesota sports teams. It would have been easy to keep my Wisconsin roots and remain a Badger fan (grew up going to games). However, I think that being a faithful fan is about supporting your team through the awful years in anticipation of how sweet it will be to someday see them succeed.

There will always be bandwagon fans that drink up the joy of victory when it finally happens, but faithful fans feel a deeper sense of 'accomplishment' having stuck through it and supported their team when it would have been so easy and convenient to dump them. I have a nice stash of money waiting for the day the Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl or better. I will be there, playing the rouser on my dad's old accordion.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, being a Packers fan is something very special. This team is iconic in the NFL and its history proves it. Being a faithful fan is when you continue to cheer for this team, hope the ending result is a win, and if the team loses, then you re-group, and get ready for the next game. I dont believe in bashing players for mistakes. Nobody's perfect in every play. If you cheer for this team win or lose then you can be labeled a faithful fan. But if you bark out negative remarks at certain players, then maybe you should change your interest in the Packers. Yes i realize all fans wnats the best result for this team, and for the most part the games do end positive. So keep cheering for the PACKERS.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, Packers fans, I have a question that does not have anything to do about The Packers, here goes.

What does it take for a BEAR fan or a LION fan to spend thousands of $$$$$ for season tickets, even for expensive box seats, every week to see and support their losing teams??

I realize all this talk about supporting your hometown football team, but WOW!

Do these people have more money then brains?

I sometimes wondering how they get by referring to themselves as professional football teams,
with their win and lost record.

Dam, we Packer fans are spoiled.

Just Curious
I have an answer to your question about being a professional team if you lose all the time. The NFL is a Professional league in the sport of football. The teams are supported by fans, sponsors, and the league its self. Now, when a team continues to lose then that team should suffer from its home town fans with ticket sales, merchandise, etc. Im sure there is alot of closed door deals that some teams make to stay in the league with help from other teams. But as for the fans, its their choice on how much they want to sit in the stadium to watch a sub-par team that is not going to win.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, being a Packers fan is something very special. This team is iconic in the NFL and its history proves it. Being a faithful fan is when you continue to cheer for this team, hope the ending result is a win, and if the team loses, then you re-group, and get ready for the next game. I dont believe in bashing players for mistakes. Nobody's perfect in every play. If you cheer for this team win or lose then you can be labeled a faithful fan. But if you bark out negative remarks at certain players, then maybe you should change your interest in the Packers. Yes i realize all fans wnats the best result for this team, and for the most part the games do end positive. So keep cheering for the PACKERS.
Well said!

Imagine what would happen in our own lives, if we were bashed and vilified for every mistake we make.