What is your Favorite Packer Moment of all time?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how many coaches today would have kicked a field goal in the spot?
A lot of coaches today imo listen too much to the fans and would be afraid of kicking the field goal because they would get crucified by the press. For me, a good coach would weigh the probability of winning the game from a tie. Against the probability of making the TD. Gotta have a feel for the game/moment. That, I think, should decide. Not what is popular. I just thought of not going for two against Cardinals when we could not stop them.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi wanted to go home at that point, win or lose. In addition, getting the footing for a FG was no guarantee on that icy field. The decision to go for the win was sound from many vantage points.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi wanted to go home at that point, win or lose. In addition, getting the footing for a FG was no guarantee on that icy field. The decision to go for the win was sound from many vantage points.
Agree about the field goal. Don't know what you mean that Lombardi wanted to go home. Yes, he said lets get the hell out of here. But ... You can't seriously mean Lombardi would make a decision at that time based on wanting to go home.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree about the field goal. Don't know what you mean that Lombardi wanted to go home. Yes, he said lets get the hell out of here. But ... You can't seriously mean Lombardi would make a decision at that time based on wanting to go home.
A lot of people said Favre's OT INT pass against the Giants in the NFCCG was him giving up, forcing the pass because he was done with the cold. I don't know if that is true or not - since when did Favre need an excuse to throw an INT? But Lombardi basing his decision on wanting to go home would be the same kind of accusation. I'm not sure anyone is trying to say that though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I do believe that Lombardi was cold and wanted the game to end, but it's not something that any of us can argue about. Nobody will ever be proven right or wrong. Coach was as human as everyone else...cold. I think that there were several factors in his decision: his belief in Starr (and Starr's play suggestion), the footing for a FG, the cold, the shift of momentum in that final drive, etc. We all like to think of someone like Vince in a certain way, but we are all complex and don't always make decisions that 100% fit a pattern. Lombardi was tough and focused on winning, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have been vulnerable in those conditions and make a decision that was atypical for him.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I do believe that Lombardi was cold and wanted the game to end, but it's not something that any of us can argue about.
I'm sure he was cold, but I don't think he would have made that decision if he didn't think it was the right one. As you say, there were several factors involved.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he was cold, but I don't think he would have made that decision if he didn't think it was the right one. As you say, there were several factors involved.
imho it is absurd to even consider anything else. Favre was different. He let the cold affect his play all night. He could no longer take the cold. That does not mean he threw a pic so he could get into the locker room.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imho it is absurd to even consider anything else. Favre was different. He let the cold affect his play all night. He could no longer take the cold. That does not mean he threw a pic so he could get into the locker room.
The cold affecting his play is a far cry from accusing him of giving up, however, as many have.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at Favre's last Packers game. Many of the fans gave up, going to sit in the bathrooms in order to keep warm. The moment the game was over, Packers fans rushed to the exits. The Giants fans went over to mug for the camera behind the network tv set. We sat there taking in the evening until Lambeau staff asked us to leave. It was darn cold and I don't begrudge anyone for being cold. Even Favre, for all of his toughness, was still a southern kid playing in one of the coldest games ever played.

Even for those of us sitting there to cast stones isn't fair. The players didn't have multiple layers of clothes. The fans didn't have to get hit by a 300lb man at full speed. Those guys earned every cent that night. Too bad we lost but it was still a good game. Let's not forget that the NY Giants were the team of destiny in that run. They were big underdogs in each game, including the Super Bowl when they beat the undefeated Patriots. That was a good team. No shame in losing to them.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad we lost but it was still a good game. Let's not forget that the NY Giants were the team of destiny in that run. They were big underdogs in each game, including the Super Bowl when they beat the undefeated Patriots. That was a good team. No shame in losing to them.
I always thought that about the Broncos, who beat us in the Super Bowl. A lot of people said we should have won, we gave it away, but that was a tough team that beat us fair and square, and went on to repeat the next year, just to prove it wasn't a fluke.

We've been eliminated by the eventual Super Bowl champions several times in the playoffs, and by the eventual NFC champ several times more. That's going to happen when you're in the thick of things as often as we have in the last decades. Too bad we didn't break through a few more times.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the stat, but within the last few years I saw something about how the Bronco's running game from the middle of the 1997 season through 1998 and I think into 1999 was one of the most explosive ever. We got hit by the rising tsunami called Terrell Davis.

We also had a bunch of turnovers if I remember correctly. The game was winnable.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite game was Oct. 10, 1999. My first game, with my late father. Brett's 30th birthday, Reggie's jersey retirement, and a last minute pass to Freeman for the win in a tough game against the Bucs. Alstot was unstopable on their last drive if I remember right.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After thinking about this awhile, I realized my favorite Packer moment was the NFC Championship ceremony in Green Bay, after the Packers beat the Panthers in the '96-'97 season. After all that time, and after living through all the gory years, just to have the Packers back in the Super Bowl again, something I had once given up on ever happening.

Reaction score
It’s so tough because their are so many great moments and I thoroughly enjoyed reliving those mentioned above.

I guess mine is BJ Raji’s pick 6 there in the SB highlights. It has a lot of components. Big game, It’s a Defensive TD, the player trying to tackle Raji? Really? Lol.
But there’s something about a NT picking off a HOF QB and rumbling for a TD. There’s something about a Big guy upfront in the trenches getting involved personal and they rarely get the accolades. What on earth was BJ doing dropping into coverage? Pretty rare stuff.

PS. Special Mention to Tramon Williams.
I almost forgot how much he’s done and how much history he has with our team. Boy did he look fast back then. We’ve got to find a way to get that D feel back, that’s what we’re missing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s so tough because their are so many great moments and I thoroughly enjoyed reliving those mentioned above.

I guess mine is BJ Raji’s pick 6 there in the SB highlights. It has a lot of components. Big game, It’s a Defensive TD, the player trying to tackle Raji? Really? Lol.
But there’s something about a NT picking off a HOF QB and rumbling for a TD. There’s something about a Big guy upfront in the trenches getting involved personal and they rarely get the accolades. What on earth was BJ doing dropping into coverage? Pretty rare stuff.

PS. Special Mention to Tramon Williams.
I almost forgot how much he’s done and how much history he has with our team. Boy did he look fast back then. We’ve got to find a way to get that D feel back, that’s what we’re missing.
Bj pick 6 was vs bears and cutler or his back up

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, that was the Bears championship game when Cutler got benched for his backup.

In the Super Bowl, journeyman Howard Green did get in Rothlisbergers's face to force the pick six throw to Nick Collins. You might be blending those two memories, both were awesome.

Still a tough sell, but I believe in my soul that Jarrett Bush at least deserved the game ball for helping win the SB. Much maligned for his CB play (and for good reason), he had the game of his life filling in for Woodson. My crew and I kept going nuts every time he made a great play in that game.

Reaction score
Bj pick 6 was vs bears and cutler or his back up
Thank you it all became a blur seeing Raji Rumble down the field. :roflmao: I think i blurred it with Collins pick 6 (aside from 100lbs difference). Great moments.

ps. Guapo I swear I wrote this before reading your response. Lol.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but the Hail Mary grab by Richard Rodgers on the untimed play against the Lions

Reaction score
Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but the Hail Mary grab by Richard Rodgers on the untimed play against the Lions
I think that one scores so high because it was AT the Lions. Those poor Detroit fans! They were hanging over the bleachers thinking they FINALLY beat Rodgers. The looks on their faces was priceless. I bet there was some serious cussing going on :x3:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did we start ranking these? I thought we were just listing out favorite moments. Rodgers to Rodgers was meaningless in the grand scheme of the season, but it was still memorable. Heck, there were Favre to Ed West throws that were more vital.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember this game where Hasselbeck claimed to score a TD when they got call of heads on the toss. Was awesome to see him toss a pick six on the first drive.

Here is the only video I found that should the coin toss and INT(fast forward to 1:30) and you will also have to view it on YT. :(

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

What is your all time favorite moment or play?
I will go back to my youth again. December 26, 1965. We had to beat the Colts for a 3rd time that year. We finished tied with them at 10-3-1. The playoff game was in Milwaukee. Both Johnny Unitas and Gary Cuozzo were out with injuries so we should have won easily with Tom Matte at QB. Sure enough we fumble on the first play and the Colts pick it up and score. Starr gets his ribs blasted on the play and is out for the game. We were down 10-0 at half. But Zeke Bratkowski leads us back. We go to OT on the semi frosty turf. Don Chandler kicks the game winning FG! We snatched victory from defeat. I knew the next week we would win the Championship. Cleveland did not have the defense to beat us. The Colts did.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts