What is the word on BJ Raji?

H

HardRightEdge

If you think the Packers will let Raji walk for $2 million and not pay him that then it just shows how little you know about the money of football. Sorry, I thought you were more knowledgeable. Lets just move on.
Well, like I said, maybe Thompson would and maybe he wouldn't depending on how the young guys do in Raji's stead. The point being, whether it's Thompson or somebody else paying that money, you're not getting near a 3rd. or 4th. round compensatory pick. Yes, let's move on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
A word about the preseason run defense:

One thing I've noticed is increased aggressiveness from the back 7 or 8 in coming up in run support. Hawk, Jones, the safeties...these guys have been crashing the line with more vigor than in recent seasons.

An extreme example is the run blitz against OAK's 8 man front on the Jones-Drew TD run. We had 4 down linemen, 6 guys on the line, and 9 in the box. By the time MJD crossed the LOS, we had 10 guys at or across the LOS. Hawk made a terrific recovery play but missed the shoe string tackle. That 3-step bounce-out-and-cut-back messed with the blitz attack lanes and Hyde and Williams were both playing for the outside bounce leaving the cutback open. Kind of a freaky set of events. The -1 goes to Hyde for overplaying the bounce out....Williams had outside contain with no wideout or slot guy on that side.

The first upshot being that with more gap play on the D-Line, more attacking from the LBs and DBs, and the switch to smaller and more athletic DEs, all adds up to a more attacking D. Perhaps increased confidence in the secondary contributes to this shift (back) to a more attacking style.

Higher risk, higher reward. I like it.

The second upshot is that whatever Raji contributed to the apparently (it is preseason, after all) revitalized run defense is a small part of the overall picture.

This is exactly what I was trying to explain to everyone earlier on before camp. The scheme Capers is using is different and much more "attacking" then the old "read and react" which gave up way to many yards. He has the personnel now to do this with all these long athletic linebackers.

Going to a 4-3 would be ridiculous as it would not play to our strengths. I don't want to see Peppers playing with his hand in the dirt all game long as we would be miss-using him like the Bears did.

Also everyone including myself thought Clinton-Dix was going to be an immediate "back end safety"but I see him making his biggest impact right now coming up against the run and covering underneath. I really like his nose for the football. I think Burnett's days are numbered. IMO, I like the combination of Hyde and Dix at safety.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

This is exactly what I was trying to explain to everyone earlier on before camp. The scheme Capers is using is different and much more "attacking" then the old "read and react" which gave up way to many yards. He has the personnel now to do this with all these long athletic linebackers.

Going to a 4-3 would be ridiculous as it would not play to our strengths.

Also everyone including myself thought Clinton-Dix was going to be an immediate "back end safety"but I see him making his biggest impact right now coming up against the run and covering underneath. I really like his nose for the football. I think Burnett's days are numbered. IMO, I like the combination of Hyde and Dix at safety.
I'm going one more year with Burnett; I give him the benefit the doubt over having played with a terrible safety-mate. There's no excuse this year. He's surrounded by some pretty decent ballplayers, barring multiple injuries in the secondary. We seem well positioned if we lost any one of the guys.

I seem to recall recently somebody pointing out this change of approach and being called out on it, to the affect that Capers plays an attacking defense, not "bend don't break". I guess that was you.

Well, Capers has historically been a blitz-happy guy...typically in the top 5 or 10 in the league in blitz frequency. That's aggressive. However, I've not seen much "getting after it" in the run game since Bishop went down. On balance, I agree with you...the D strikes me as playing on the soft side the last couple years, the SF playoff game last year being a notable exception.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm going one more year with Burnett; I give him the benefit the doubt over having played with a terrible safety-mate. There's no excuse this year. He's surrounded by some pretty decent ballplayers, barring multiple injuries in the secondary. We seem well positioned if we lost any one of the guys.

I seem to recall recently somebody pointing out this change of approach and being called out on it, to the affect that Capers plays an attacking defense, not "bend don't break". I guess that was you.

Well, Capers has historically been a blitz-happy guy...typically in the top 5 or 10 in the league in blitz frequency. That's aggressive. However, I've not seen much "getting after it" in the run game since Bishop went down. On balance, I agree with you...the D strikes me as playing on the soft side the last couple years, the SF playoff game last year being a notable exception.

Yeah, Capers loves to bring noise. He just hasn't had the personnel to do it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I'm just growing tired of him not making any big plays. I hope we can get a few big plays out of him this year as he is getting paid very well.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm just growing tired of him not making any big plays. I hope we can get a few big plays out of him this year as he is getting paid very well.
I'd be happy if we don't see a blown deep coverage on a weekly basis with the guys jabbering at each other in the end zone over who's fault it was. And all that redirection of the secondary with everybody in motion right up to the snap has to go.

So far, acknowledging this is only preseason, the secondary play seems to be on the right track in these regards.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well missing Raji is a big blow for us. Raji was playing really well this off-season. Boyd is a decent player. So it might not hurt our starting D-line much. But it hurts our depth rotation in the worst way possible. Pennel looks like a decent back-up NT, but Thornton apparently looked pretty bad in camp. He is our back-up DE now. That's not good (understatement). Moreover, we don't have a sixth D-line player until Guion returns. I expect us to sign or claim a sixth D-lineman after the final roster cuts. Maybe we will already bring someone after 75-cuts. who might make the practice squad.

About the compensatory pick discussion: I expect Raji to get a similar deal to the one he received this year. That would be a 5th round comp pick.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Letroy Guion - 6'4" - 315 lbs - 7th yr

Just watched his two games against us last year. If he`s ready, we have to give him a shot IMO

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the last half of Bengals-Cardinals game last night and a guy that "jumped out" late in the game was #90 on the Bengals. Christo Bilukidi - 6'-4", 320 lbs., currently buried at #3 NT on Cincy's depth chart.

Not saying he's a direct replacement for Raji, but might be a guy TT considers after cut-downs if he's jettisoned... at least for PS. Only noticed him on the last couple of drives, but was pressuring as much as he was getting stale-mated, and has the size to slide out to 5-tech if necessary or inside at NT.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
So, Raptorman-- Is Guion a possible answer here? I see he had a good game against the Packers last year, including a sack on Rodgers. But, can he play well consistently? Pros/Cons?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I did the jennings compairison only because he got offered a nice deal by the pack and turned it down..just like bj

Then jennings got hurt but the eventual contract was no where near what he wanted..and that will be BJ's contract next year.. No where near what he wants

I dont know what the comp pick was for jennings, but my whole point was the comp pick for greg probably be a lot more than any comp pick BJ will net us
I don't think we'll get a 3 day old ham sandwich for Raji. I can't see anyone giving him anything more than 1 year, 2 million, zero bonus.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The spin move was just the only thing I knew about him before he signed.

Well he's a big boy, not at all used to that sort of flash and dash open field stuff. Honestly that spin move probably works on a surprising number of DTs.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letroy Guion is getting some first team reps at NT today.

http://blog.packers.com/2014/08/25/news-now-no-1-offense-and-defense-in-practice-matchup/

Rodgers and Jordy Nelson got a cheer when they connected on a touchdown pass and reception. It’s important to note nose tackle Letroy Guion, who participated in practice for the first time in this training camp, got some snaps with the No. 1 defense on Monday. Guion reported to training camp with a hamstring injury. His participation is timely since starting nose tackle B.J. Raji was lost for the season to an arm injury on Friday night.

The Packers only have one training camp practice remaining, on Wednesday. They ran an extended-period half-line drill on Monday.

H

HardRightEdge

Clearly the Packers were trying to stash Guion on the PUP, and now that Raji is injured, suddenly Guion is injured. That's too big of a coincidence.
The thought has certainly crossed my mind.

On the other hand, "stashing" a guy who's new to the team, has not practiced and would not even be able to practice until week 7 doesn't make a lot of sense. The PUP rules are what they are specifically to discourage stashing.

All in all, the more plausible explanation is they're trying to be overly conservative with the hamstring injuries...until it becomes impractical.

H

HardRightEdge

The PUP doesn't discourage stashing at all. The PUP encourages it in many ways. IR discourages stashing much more, because with IR a player has to sit out the entire season. On the PUP, 6 weeks is all a player has to sit out.

I think it's pretty obvious what happened. TT liked what he saw out of the young UDFA DL's like Pennel, so he got rid of Worthy and he tried to put Guion on the PUP, as it is much easier to find a spot for Guion after 6 weeks than Week 1.

When MM was asked about Guion he would say things like he doesn't know what's going on with Guion. Is that really believable to you? It's not to me. I think MM new exactly what was going on, and that's that TT was forcing MM to keep Guion out to put on the PUP. As a coach, I'm sure MM didn't like it but business is business. And that decision really bit the Packers. If he was healthy, he should've been practicing with the team, and according to Guion, he has been ready. I believe him more than the organization's weak comments about Guion in this instance.
First of all, I believe the rule is a regular season PUP guy cannot begin practicing until after week 6. The idea Guion would come off PUP, practice for a week (with only one padded practice per week allowed in-season) and step on the field is impractical.

The next question...stashing for what? Like Thompson thinks nobody will get hurt in the first half of the season but somebody will in the back half? Or there's no risk of all the NTs stinking up the joint in the first half but there is that risk in the second half? That does not make much sense. The rules most certainly discourage stashing. And the whole thing seems too clever by half for Thompson.

And must we repeat it again...Worthy never was and never will be a NT. What guys like Boyd or Guion or Pennel might have done or might do in the future has nothing to do with Worthy.

Lastly, it's not uncommon for a player to declare himself fit while he's being held out for weeks at a time without the possibility of stashing. This is often the case with guys in competitive situations, such as Guion. Raijon Neal's candid comments from August 11, while on crutches, is not uncommon thinking:

"I gotta play," Neal said. "There ain't no way around it. Being in the position I'm in, I can't afford it."

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The PUP doesn't discourage stashing at all. The PUP encourages it in many ways. IR discourages stashing much more, because with IR a player has to sit out the entire season. On the PUP, 6 weeks is all a player has to sit out.

I think it's pretty obvious what happened. TT liked what he saw out of the young UDFA DL's like Pennel, so he got rid of Worthy and he tried to put Guion on the PUP, as it is much easier to find a spot for Guion after 6 weeks than Week 1.

When MM was asked about Guion he would say things like he doesn't know what's going on with Guion. Is that really believable to you? It's not to me. I think MM new exactly what was going on, and that's that TT was forcing MM to keep Guion out to put on the PUP. As a coach, I'm sure MM didn't like it but business is business. And that decision really bit the Packers. If he was healthy, he should've been practicing with the team, and according to Guion, he has been ready. I believe him more than the organization's weak comments about Guion in this instance.
I believe he was hurt and I do think they were trying to keep him on ice until later if they could. I also think they've slow played injuries in the past. Can't say I'm against that concept.

H

HardRightEdge

So on the PUP a player can't practice for 6 weeks. The alternative is the IR, which means a player can't practice for the season. What is more stash-friendly?

Neither are stash friendly. Whether one is more so than the other is not the point. There's a reason PUP has the 6 week waiting period before a guy can practice...to repeat, to discourage stashing. There is no debate about why this rule is constructed the way it is.

As to the question on why the packers would stash a guy like Guion, if they kept both Raji and Guion then Pennel probably wouldn't make the team. If they keep Raji and PUP Guion then there would be room for Pennel. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That argument would be more credible if Guion were a proven commodity in the system. Your argument presumes the competition was over before it started.

Worthy was never a NT? What!?! I kid, I kid. I don't know why you say this like I don't already know it. When did I say Worthy was a NT again? For someone that likes labeling logical fallacies this one falls under the Red Herring fallacy.

Excuse me for thinking you were conflating the DE and NT positions. It couldn't possibly be that Worthy s*cks (in this system or generally, you choose) and Thompson saw an opportunity to get something for a guy he was going to cut regardless.

As for players often thinking they're healthy when they are not, I agree with that. But, you have to look at this specific situation. What I said before was that MM said he didn't know what was up with Guion. Is it more likely that MM really doesn't know what is up with Guion. Then, Raji gets injured. Then, the very next practice, Guion is practicing. So even if you ignore what Guion said about having been healthy and ready, you still have quite the "coincidence" and very vague statements by the organization. On top of that, the Packers give credibility to what Guion said IMO by having him practice. What does MM know now that he didn't know before that leads him to believe Guion is suddenly healthy enough to practice?

That's a conjecture, not an argument. McCarthy's been all over the place in talking about injuries in recent years. He's quoted return times (too optimistically), has been way off, and made himself look like he doesn't know what he's doing. Starting last season, he's grown more curt on these matters; he's getting the hang of the Thompson way of saying as little as possible about things uncertain (which I have no problem with, by the way). That he would say, "I don't know when" surprises me not in the least and hardly indicates stashing. McCarthy is about "availability" as Job #1 and focus goes to the next man up. His curt answer to the question could be not wanting to talk about a situation he finds frustrating...like maybe not having a guy he thinks should be practicing because the docs won't release him.

So, what's next? Reading his body language?

Look, we can go back and forth on this all day. IMO, it's pretty obvious that guys get stashed on the PUP all of the time. Obviously a player isn't going to be held out of practice on Day 1 when he's healthy, but if he happens to not be able to practice for a bit then it's perfectly reasonable that teams will keep that player from practicing by being "extra cautious", saving them a 53 man roster spot.

I do believe guys get stashed on PUP, but I don't think that happens in any clearly identifiable way or with any regularity with guys who are supposed to be competing for a spot on the roster in the first place, who's never taken even a practice snap in the system, and who is fully healthy and ready to go. If I have a veteran player in the system, say, a serviceable starter, not a core player, who is expected to be out a couple of weeks into the season and I have credible backups, I might PUP him knowing he might miss a few games he could have played. PUPing a guy who should be practicing to earn a job doesn't make a lot of sense.

And as for your Neal comment, Neal isn't even saying he's healthy enough to play. He's saying that despite the situation, he can't afford to sit. So I guess that's a non sequitur from you.

You missed the point. I mentioned Neal because of his candor in order to illustrate that some guys in competitive situations will want to play hurt. Unlike Neal, most will lie...like Flynn about his elbow and Williams about his shoulder nerve damage. The problem is we don't know they lied unless they confess to it which, as in these cases, might be a year later. Some guys would never confess because they don't want to sound like they're making excuses.

Why would you take at face value Guion's claim of being 100% when we know most players who want to compete hurt do not exhibit Neal's rare candor? It's certainly plausible that Guion was concerned for his job and wanted to accelerate his return.

H

HardRightEdge

I have one final thought on the matter of stashing players on PUP or IR.

There is a particular disincentive to doing it not previously mentioned: it is not in a healthy player's best interest unless he is made promises that should not be made.

Unless the player intends to retire after the season and is just looking for one last paycheck, it is always in the interest of a healthy player to play...to work to keep his job, for his reputation in the league, for his next contract, for the love of the game.

With the amount of after-the-fact mouthing-off, recriminations and bitterness coming out of players mouths (or Twitter accounts) when they get cut or don't get the contract they want or feel forced to retire, you'd think some healthy, stashed player would make a point of complaint if not a formal grievance. There might have been such a case, but I can't recall hearing of one.

If I was Guion, and I was perfectly healthy, and I felt I was being stashed while some rookie is being groomed for the job, I'd be p*ssed.

I'm not saying teams have never done it, but there are enough risks involved that it's not a tactic taylored to this situation.

That exhausts my thoughts on the matter based on available information. DraftHobbyist...you have the last word if you want it.

Members online

Latest posts