What is our running back situation for 2013 season?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ryan Grant is NOT a FB. TEs are the backups at FB because of their blocking ability. And no matter how much you like him, consider how long it took for the Packers to bring him in, in spite of the need at RB. BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing Kuhn replaced/up graded.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant is NOT a FB. TEs are the backups at FB because of their blocking ability. And no matter how much you like him, consider how long it took for the Packers to bring him in, in spite of the need at RB. BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing Kuhn replaced/up graded.

hahaha I ask again, why the hate for Ryan Grant? Don't rule it out - not replacement necessarily, but backup work at FB. He's a decent blocker/receiver. I always thought a road grader/Vonta Leach-type was best, but the Packers have consistently not gone that route, so I see no reason Grant couldn't be cross-trained that way. And I see him as better at RB than Benson, Starks, Saine, Tyler ...... everybody except Harris and Green if he's healthy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I certainly don't hate Ryan Grant, what a stupid thing to post! I don't hate any Packers or former Packers. In fact I save that emotion for truly bad/evil people. Certainly not for players at or near the end of their careers! BTW, do you think Thompson and his staff "hate" Grant? Why else would they have waited until the first week of December to sign him? The Packers' actions showed they preferred a healthy Benson, Green, Starks and probably Saine to Grant. And they definately preferred Harris and rightly so.

Ryan Grant is not stout enough to be an NFL FB, in spite of the apparent man-crush you have for him.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking money into consideration, of course. Grant priced himself out of what the Packers were willing to pay - and I certainly don't fault Thompson for that. By December, Grant came to the realization that he wasn't going to get big money - and other than being out of football for a few months, he was basically the same player he had been before leaving. I seem to let myself get trapped like this, I guess - I never disliked Thompson - just wasn't as wildly enthusiastic about him as some in here - talk about mancrushes! Now I am defending Grant, who I never cared that much for and was happy to see let go in free agency. I really disliked Benson, and my main point is that Grant is better than him, especially for the apparent low salary he gets now. I have nothing against Starks either - and when healthy, probably he is better than Grant - but will he ever be healthy? All I ever said about Grant as an RB is that he would be my choice for backup behind Green (if healthy) and Harris. As for stoutness as an FB, for a lot of teams, that would be true, but the way the Packers choose/use FBs, Grant would be decent.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Taking money into consideration, of course. Grant priced himself out of what the Packers were willing to pay - and I certainly don't fault Thompson for that. By December, Grant came to the realization that he wasn't going to get big money - and other than being out of football for a few months, he was basically the same player he had been before leaving. I seem to let myself get trapped like this, I guess - I never disliked Thompson - just wasn't as wildly enthusiastic about him as some in here - talk about mancrushes! Now I am defending Grant, who I never cared that much for and was happy to see let go in free agency. I really disliked Benson, and my main point is that Grant is better than him, especially for the apparent low salary he gets now. I have nothing against Starks either - and when healthy, probably he is better than Grant - but will he ever be healthy? All I ever said about Grant as an RB is that he would be my choice for backup behind Green (if healthy) and Harris. As for stoutness as an FB, for a lot of teams, that would be true, but the way the Packers choose/use FBs, Grant would be decent.
That's why Taylor and Williams have already replaced Kuhn for everything but 3rd down blocking right?

Members online

Latest posts