What is killing our pass D

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a pretty sight to look at here.

Highlights - Green Bay leads the league for 12 men on the field since 04.

Woodson leads the league with 12 penalties this season. Al Harris is second for CB's with 7.

Woodson has 31 penalties since 2004, second-most among corners.

I have commented repeatedly about this, now someone has compiled the stats to show how penalty ridden this secondary is. I know Harris and Woodson are physical receivers, but this really needs to stop come playoff time. I am sure McCarthy has talked to them about this but the penalty ridden play has spread to Bigby as well.

And for the last fun fact - Ahmad Carroll somehow ranks third (for CB's) with 30 penalties -- even though he's out of the league.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny you mention Carroll, because I was thinking that the pass interference penalty in the end zone by Bigby against KC had a distinct Ahmad Carroll flavor: Desperately running to catch up, arms flailing, hair flying all over the place, running into the receiver without even the slightest attempt to look for the ball. I hope we don't see any more of that from Atari.

Anyway, I agree that they need to cut down on these penalties. McCarthy says they play physical so you are going to get penalties, and that's true to an extent. But most of the penalties, especially by Woodson, are pretty blatant. Sooner or later the Packers are going to lose a game because of one of those penalties, especially considering how sloppy the refs are in making those calls. Some of them are unavoidable because of the technique that Harris and Woodson use, but a lot of them could be cleaned up.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It's funny you mention Carroll, because I was thinking that the pass interference penalty in the end zone by Bigby against KC had a distinct Ahmad Carroll flavor: Desperately running to catch up, arms flailing, hair flying all over the place, running into the receiver without even the slightest attempt to look for the ball. I hope we don't see any more of that from Atari.

Anyway, I agree that they need to cut down on these penalties. McCarthy says they play physical so you are going to get penalties, and that's true to an extent. But most of the penalties, especially by Woodson, are pretty blatant. Sooner or later the Packers are going to lose a game because of one of those penalties, especially considering how sloppy the refs are in making those calls. Some of them are unavoidable because of the technique that Harris and Woodson use, but a lot of them could be cleaned up.

Couldn't agree with you more!

However, Packers already LOST a game because of countless, ill-timed penalties... Remember the Bears game?

Packers HAD that game even with all the turnovers but the repeated calls against the Packers resulted in a huge swing for the Bears.

Good side of THAT is, the Packers have STILL found a way to win games despite the penlties in most cases and have learned to win in the most difficult of conditions. This weekend's game will be no exception with Collins out.

Let's hope for a BIG reduction in penalties!

Members online

Latest posts