what if Tony Romo became a Packer?

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
Rodgers fell into our laps in the draft. Some people wanted to take him because we didn't quite know what we had in Romo yet.

Tony Romo has always been consistently good, and I can assure you he is 100,000,000x the QB Cutler and Stafford are.
I'd take Romo over Cutler! But then, I'd take my grandma over Cutler!

D

Deleted member 6794

The Cowboys have been able to win the SB multiple times with Jones at the helm but none with Romo at QB -- although according to you that's not been the problem. So, what is the problem?

The Cowboys have won only one Super Bowl in the salary cap era though and the nucleus of that team was there before 1994.

Sky King

Reaction score
The Cowboys have won only one Super Bowl in the salary cap era though and the nucleus of that team was there before 1994.
They're in the playoffs with the same record as the Packers. Some problem.

Jones called the shots then and now. He deserves recognition for the products since there is no doubt who is in charge. Back then he had Aikman. Now he has Romo. That is the single most important difference in the two eras. Romo has yet to take any team to the NFC Championship, let alone win the SB. Aikman did it. Rodgers has and so have Brady, Manning, and Wilson -- the latter four still being in the playoff hunt. Even the much maligned Eli Manning has managed it twice. Romo has not been able to play to their level in the clutch.

Romo has managed to put up big numbers in regular seasons past and he did so again this season. Yet at the most crucial playoff moments Romo has chronically come up small. That has been my point all along. And as you may have noticed, Dallas fans have had no rebuttal for that particular point because there is none.

Romo will have my genuine respect if he somehow manages to win these next three playoff games. To do so he may need to carry the team on his (bad) back, and based upon his history that seems to be a rather daunting proposition. Is he made for the moment? We are about to find that out once again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones called the shots then and now. He deserves recognition for the products since there is no doubt who is in charge. Back then he had Aikman. Now he has Romo. That is the single most important difference in the two eras. Romo has yet to take any team to the NFC Championship, let alone win the SB. Aikman did it. Rodgers has and so have Brady, Manning, and Wilson -- the latter four still being in the playoff hunt. Even the much maligned Eli Manning has managed it twice. Romo has not been able to play to their level in the clutch.

Romo has managed to put up big numbers in regular seasons past and he did so again this season. Yet at the most crucial playoff moments Romo has chronically come up small. That has been my point all along. And as you may have noticed, Dallas fans have had no rebuttal for that particular point because there is none.

Romo will have my genuine respect if he somehow manages to win these next three playoff games. To do so he may need to carry the team on his (bad) back, and based upon his history that seems to be a rather daunting proposition. Is he made for the moment? We are about to find that out once again.

Troy Aikman is one of the most overrated players in NFL history, take a look at his career numbers. He threw for at least TDs only once in a season, never for more than 3,450 yards and nearly had as many INTs as TDs.

He was for sure not the main reason for the Cowboys winning three Super Bowls in the 90s.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy Aikman is one of the most overrated players in NFL history, take a look at his career numbers. He threw for at least TDs only once in a season, never for more than 3,450 yards and nearly had as many INTs as TDs.

He was for sure not the main reason for the Cowboys winning three Super Bowls in the 90s.
which player would you say was the most important of during that run?

D

Deleted member 6794

which player would you say was the most important of during that run?

If I had to pick one I would go with Emmitt Smith but the Cowboys had a fantastic offensive line and the best defense in the league as well during those four years.

Sky King

Reaction score

You forgot to mention the three SB rings and a SB MVP. If that's being overrated then I hope the Packers can eventually find somebody to replace Rodgers who is equally as overrated.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to pick one I would go with Emmitt Smith but the Cowboys had a fantastic offensive line and the best defense in the league as well during those four years.

For his insane career numbers, he seems pretty underrated by most football fans. I remember the hold out and the cowboy management thinking they could just plug someone in, not so much.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jones called the shots then and now. He deserves recognition for the products since there is no doubt who is in charge. Back then he had Aikman. Now he has Romo. That is the single most important difference in the two eras.
IMO the most important difference in the two eras is Jimmy Johnson and I agree with Kimbo Blubbeus that Jimmy was jettisoned because Jerry was jealous. Go back and look at the talent acquisition after they arrived in Dallas. I certainly haven’t studied the Cowboys in depth but as a casual observer it is my impression Jimmy, not Jerry, was mostly responsible for their success, both in talent acquisition and of course, coaching.

As to Jerry changing his ways, I know he wanted to draft Johnny Manziel and his son and perhaps the rest of the organization were against it and Jerry didn’t overrule ‘em all. Is that a blip on the radar or is it a sign that his son is in charge and Jerry will more and more be relegated to grumbling on the sidelines? That doesn’t seem likely but neither was Jerry not getting his way in the most recent draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

You forgot to mention the three SB rings and a SB MVP. If that's being overrated then I hope the Packers can eventually find somebody to replace Rodgers who is equally as overrated.

I didn't forget about Aikman winning three Super Bowls. He wasn't the reason the Cowboys won that many though.

H

HardRightEdge

IMO the most important difference in the two eras is Jimmy Johnson and I agree with Kimbo Blubbeus that Jimmy was jettisoned because Jerry was jealous. Go back and look at the talent acquisition after they arrived in Dallas. I certainly haven’t studied the Cowboys in depth but as a casual observer it is my impression Jimmy, not Jerry, was mostly responsible for their success, both in talent acquisition and of course, coaching.

As to Jerry changing his ways, I know he wanted to draft Johnny Manziel and his son and perhaps the rest of the organization were against it and Jerry didn’t overrule ‘em all. Is that a blip on the radar or is it a sign that his son is in charge and Jerry will more and more be relegated to grumbling on the sidelines? That doesn’t seem likely but neither was Jerry not getting his way in the most recent draft.
Jimmy Johnson engineered the Herschel Walker trade, then landed a bunch of star and core players with those picks.

The key was the conditional picks (including two 1st. and two 2nds.) attached to the Minnesota veterans included in the deal. Mike Lynn, the Minnesota GM, miscalculated that the veteran players were good enough and the Cowboys cupboard so bare that Johnson would not cut them. Johnson cut all of them and harvested the picks over the next couple of years...Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson, et. al.

The story is a fascinating piece of NFL history. If you have 12 minutes some time, here's a retelling from Jimmy Johnson's perspective:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=thegreattraderobbery

Or just look at the roster of players Johnson assembled from that trade, noting in particular the conditional picks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jimmy Johnson was a much stronger counterweight to Jerry Jones than that team has had since.

SeahawkFan80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, this is not the same Jerry Jones that was there when we were winning championships in the 90's.

Jerry got jealous that Jimmy Johnson was getting a lot of the credit, tried to make it apparent that he was the one who was responsible for success, and then Johnson decided to high tail it. Same thing with Parcells who didn't want T.O. but JJ was hellbent on getting him here.

Jerry Jones has the dubious honor of running off Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Parcells.

I think he also helped run off some of the fanbase. A friend of mine was a Dallas fan until he tossed Tom Landry out like an old dishrag. Totally destroyed her opinion of Jones. She is now a Carolina Fan. She is also great people.
P.S. Noticed a fan has a listing of greats on his sig, I have met several times Jerry Kramer. Used to own a ranch around my area. Decent golfer too which is where I met the gentleman.

Kimbo Blubbeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he also helped run off some of the fanbase. A friend of mine was a Dallas fan until he tossed Tom Landry out like an old dishrag. Totally destroyed her opinion of Jones. She is now a Carolina Fan. She is also great people.
P.S. Noticed a fan has a listing of greats on his sig, I have met several times Jerry Kramer. Used to own a ranch around my area. Decent golfer too which is where I met the gentleman.

You are correct. I have a family member who is the same, basically boycotts everything Cowboys since the Landry incident too. For me, I don't take football that serious lol. I'll always be a Cowboys fan no matter how much of a joke the franchise becomes, it's just other grown men playing football. I was one of the first to congratulate Packers and their fans after the Dez Bryant play last weekend.

Anyway, cool to see a Seahawks fan too. Should be a good one today. I'm rooting for the Packers simply because I want the Seahawks to be humbled a bit with all their trash talking but I still think Seattle wins by 10ish points.

SeahawkFan80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be happy. Enjoy the rest of your year and hope your team comes up with some good draft pics. Peace.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts