What if Rodgers wins the job over Favre?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever reason(Rodgers outplays him, Favre is rusty, its a conspiracy against favre and rodgers gets the starting nod), what happens to Favre if Rodgers wins the job?

This isn't a Rodgers vs. Favre post. This is a "what happens AFTERWARDS."

Does Favre back up Rodgers?
Does Favre re-retire?
Does Favre demand\get a release?
Does Favre get traded?

I mean, if Favre wins it, its easy to assume Rodgers will just back him up again for the 4th year in a row, a role he's familiar with,etc. But wwhat if Rodgers won the job? I find this scenario very interesting\sad.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Then you have to consider how prepared Brohm, Flynn or whomever else is prepared to back up Rodgers. If we have a comfort level with the backup minus Favre.. then you look to deal him and save the considerable $$$ that he commands. I sure in the heck guarantee he isn't going to rework his deal for you. However if you have no confidence in any other backup than Favre.. you keep him and eat his salary.. ala Gagne with the Brew Crew.

If Favre balks.. then let him re-retire, which he won't do, he would want to prove that he still has it in spite of the Packers decision. Again.. best option is to trade him..

Personally my money would be on a trade.. it would be too big of a distraction for a young starter.. but the Packers save face because he wasn't able to beat out Rodgers.. but there will still be some Packer fans that won't accept that either.. so we would have a certain amount of divide.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre tries to workout his release or trade from the team. If the Packers don't go for that then he retires.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they compete Brett would win question should be ... What would rogers do when Brett wins the spot

Ask for a trade
Ask for a release

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screw it ... I'm going to go compete for the starting job also ... look on bright side people ... I'll cost 12 million times less then the backup QB lool ... and the team would be able to provide me with some top notch players and keep the team intact

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good question, Trom. I don't think this is such a far-fetched notion. If Favre shows up, and if there's an open (and fair) competition for the QB spot, I'd say Rodgers might have a 50/50 shot of winning the job.

Aaron led the No. 1 offense thru the OTAs. MM has spent the offseason tweaking the offense to suit Aaron's abilities, and Aaron knows those wrinkles and Brett doesn't. And, frankly, sometimes Brett doesn't do so well under the microscope.

So, it's not unthinkable, to say the very least.

No, how would Brett react? I haven't the foggiest notion. I think he'd ask for a trade, and that the Packers would diligently try to make that happen. If something couldn't be worked out, Brett might just stay on as a backup. And although that would increase the pressure on Rodgers' shoulders tenfold, it would be very good for the team. Can you imagine a better Plan B?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this is a potential locker room divider, they should let the players have a secret vote on it once TC is done.

They could let the coaches do it, too, maybe the coaches' votes would count for 2 or 2.5 votes. But it would essentially eliminate any claims of conspiracy should Rodge win the job...

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roger's win the job in an open competition? Not likely.

But if he did.

Favre would ask to be traded. Or finally retire.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Since this is a potential locker room divider, they should let the players have a secret vote on it once TC is done.

They could let the coaches do it, too, maybe the coaches' votes would count for 2 or 2.5 votes. But it would essentially eliminate any claims of conspiracy should Rodge win the job...

I would never leave this in the hands of the players. First off, that just turns it into a popularity contest. Second, in a tight-knit group like that, there's no such thing as a secret vote. In a week, everyone would know who voted for who. And can you imagine the winner's attitude towards someone he knows (or suspects) didn't vote for him? "Screw you Ruvell... you might as well sit on the bench with your buddy - 'cuz you're sure as hell not catching any passes from me."

OK, hopefully it wouldn't become that petty. But there would be some bad feelings generated, IMO.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR has already won the competition. TT will not allow the distraction during TC and Favre will be traded just prior to or just after the start of camp - or he will finally get the hint that the Packers are moving on without him and will actually retire.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever reason(Rodgers outplays him, Favre is rusty, its a conspiracy against favre and rodgers gets the starting nod), what happens to Favre if Rodgers wins the job?

This isn't a Rodgers vs. Favre post. This is a "what happens AFTERWARDS."

Does Favre back up Rodgers?
Does Favre re-retire?
Does Favre demand\get a release?
Does Favre get traded?

I mean, if Favre wins it, its easy to assume Rodgers will just back him up again for the 4th year in a row, a role he's familiar with,etc. But wwhat if Rodgers won the job? I find this scenario very interesting\sad.

I don't know. I hope Favre backs up Rodgers, but my guess is he asks for a trade. We'll know in September.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember last season's kicker "competition"? It was as neck-and-neck as a kicking competition can get, and neither Rayner nor Mason flinched, all through preseason. But we all knew all along: It was the Mason's job to lose. He was a draft pick, and he was young. But it turned out ok-Mason led the league in scoring, and Mr. Rayner's looking for a job again. (I think).

But still, were it to happen, I think it would be much like that situation.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Remember last season's kicker "competition"? It was as neck-and-neck as a kicking competition can get, and neither Rayner nor Mason flinched, all through preseason. But we all knew all along: It was the Mason's job to lose. He was a draft pick, and he was young. But it turned out ok-Mason led the league in scoring, and Mr. Rayner's looking for a job again. (I think).

But still, were it to happen, I think it would be much like that situation.

BINGO!
People saying that Arod have no chance will be very suprised i think come TC.

No im not saying Arod is better...give me a break.
I am saying that Arod isn't that far away.

So if Aaron isnt that far away ( I think most people agree especially the coaches) and Aaron has been in this thing all offseason and knows all the new wrinkles of the playbook, has been bonding with his teammates, throwing in the offseason with his wide receivers no matter where hes at...

Why is it so hard to believe that he could win the job out right. But i think like in the kicker situation that if Aaron is even close, then you have to make the switch. That wouldn't be in the best interest of Favre... but boo hoo it is in the best interest of the team.

now as to what happens if Brett gets beat in camp...

Brett gets traded ( i think this is likely to happen before any of this goes down anyway)
Then every single beat writer in the midwest starts looking back at Favres career and wondering all the what ifs. Then they find out that Favre got beat by Arod in camp and it will severely dampen his legend status.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever.................Favre will still be the starting QB on Monday night vs Minnesota.