What i'd like to see

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Peppers inked, i'd like to see us sign Owen Daniels and a WR for cheap now. If we cant re-sign Jones, then how about Santonio Holmes? He'd come cheap at this point and he can still make some plays. I'd like to get Rodgers another weapon or two before we head into the draft. I think Holmes would come very very cheap on a 1-2 year deal. Then i'd like to see us sign Safety Chris Clemons.

Then in the draft, take the BPA between the DL/LB/Safety positions with our 1st pick (whichever ranks highest on our board)

This is what i'd like to see happen. How realistic is it?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take jones over Holmes bc of his chemistry with Rodgers and his overall good guy personality. I know what I'm getting and I know it works.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted prob would re sign Jones, Quarless re-signed so Daniels isnt needed

Like to see Clemons

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather than signing a FA WR, I'd prefer to see the Packers use their round 3 compensatory pick to get either Martavius Bryant or Donte Moncrief, one of whom might very well be there at the end of round 3.

Rather than going for a FA TE, I'd also rather see the Packers go for Kyle Van Noy in round 2.

Round 1 and Round 3 picks for the defense: Pryor/Clinton-Dix or Mosley if he's there,

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I second the Clemons move.
I also would prefer keeping James Jones.
With our luck, Jordy and/or Cobb will get injured next year. You need depth and Jones is capable of taking over, as his NFL-leading 14 touchdowns in 2012 showed.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The safety definitely needs more competition. Right now it's Burnett, Richardson, Banjo and Hyde. Bodies are definitely needed.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather than signing a FA WR, I'd prefer to see the Packers use their round 3 compensatory pick to get either Martavius Bryant or Donte Moncrief, one of whom might very well be there at the end of round 3.

Rather than going for a FA TE, I'd also rather see the Packers go for Kyle Van Noy in round 2.

Round 1 and Round 3 picks for the defense: Pryor/Clinton-Dix or Mosley if he's there,
Are you saying you would play Van Noy as a TE?

I think Quarless is ready to be a starting TE and we can sit tight for a year and see what Bostick or any of the young pups brings to the table. There are a few TEs on the 2nd tier that may interest us in round 2 or 3. But I hope a greater portion of our early picks go defensively. THat being said, if Mosley/Dix/Pryor are gone at 21 and Ebron is still sitting there, he will be very good very soon in the NFL and would be tough to pass up.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Capers figure out where Perry can be most effective. If that's moving him to ROLB then so be it move him. Clay will figure it out. I'd still like to see a veteran safety brought in although it seems more and more like Hyde is going to be their solution.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is a FA move left in Teddy's bag of tricks, I'd prefer that it only be on the defensive side of the ball. Quarless has a shot to be good and I'd like to see us draft a TE to push him. My feeling is the same at WR, where it's one of the positions that TT and staff are good at drafting so I'd rather see us draft and develop guys that could/will eventually take the place of Nelson and Cobb.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see us draft the following positions in the first three rounds in no particular order.

Safety
ILB
WR
DT
CB
TE

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Capers figure out where Perry can be most effective. If that's moving him to ROLB then so be it move him. Clay will figure it out. I'd still like to see a veteran safety brought in although it seems more and more like Hyde is going to be their solution.

I just think they prefer Perry at LOLB because most offenses run power to the (offenses) right and having Perry at LOLB allows both OLBs to be in position to what they should each do best; Matthews chase from the backside (which Perry wouldn't be as good at) and Perry stack up at the point of attack since Perry is much larger than Matthews. It makes sense long term to get Perry used to playing LOLB since him excelling at that position would make for a much better defense overall than swapping Clay and him.

Although the most important thing for Perry's development is staying healthy and cleaning up mental errors (don't jump offsides on a key fourth down and know if the defense is in zone or man!).

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think they prefer Perry at LOLB because most offenses run power to the (offenses) right and having Perry at LOLB allows both OLBs to be in position to what they should each do best; Matthews chase from the backside (which Perry wouldn't be as good at) and Perry stack up at the point of attack since Perry is much larger than Matthews. It makes sense long term to get Perry used to playing LOLB since him excelling at that position would make for a much better defense overall than swapping Clay and him.

Although the most important thing for Perry's development is staying healthy and cleaning up mental errors (don't jump offsides on a key fourth down and know if the defense is in zone or man!).

Now this is just my opinion based off of what I've seen but I don't see Perry as much more then a situational pass rusher on this defense. I hope I'm wrong but if he's more effective getting to the QB from the right side then that's where he should be on obvious passing situations

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now this is just my opinion based off of what I've seen but I don't see Perry as much more then a situational pass rusher on this defense. I hope I'm wrong but if he's more effective getting to the QB from the right side then that's where he should be on obvious passing situations

Even if he is just a situational pass rusher, he could still play full-time OLB for us. Last year Matthews dropped into coverage on 9.1% of his snaps and Perry only dropped into coverage on 8.0%. Coverage isn't a big responsibilty for our OLBs, one of the reasons that Peppers could play there if they want him to.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one would love to see Owen Daniels a Packer. I know there has been some injury issues with him but even with a bottom of the barrel QB like Schaub throwing to him he has had some pretty good years. From what I hear he is a great locker room guy and has a knack for finding holes in the defense. I think that Rodgers can make him better (obviously) and he could be a 65/850/8 guy. Now I know some on here don't think much of AQ but I think he showed some signs last year and could prove to be a pretty good player for us. Again, as is the case with many of our players his numbers will be dependent on him staying on the field which as we all know is easier said than done! Man it would be nice to see this group stay relatively healthy for one season as I think they could hang with anyone...Seahags included. Now if we can just have one of the stud defenders fall to us in the draft...

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews has proven he can rush the passer from the left side as well while Perry has looked more natural playing on the right side. So while I agree that I prefer having Matthews play on the weak side I wouldn´t mind them changing positions on some obvious passing downs.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Peppers inked, i'd like to see us sign Owen Daniels and a WR for cheap now. If we cant re-sign Jones, then how about Santonio Holmes? He'd come cheap at this point and he can still make some plays. I'd like to get Rodgers another weapon or two before we head into the draft. I think Holmes would come very very cheap on a 1-2 year deal. Then i'd like to see us sign Safety Chris Clemons.

Then in the draft, take the BPA between the DL/LB/Safety positions with our 1st pick (whichever ranks highest on our board)

This is a very realistic, almost ideal scenario. I would take exception w Santonio Holmes, just given the wealth of draft talent at WR. I very much like the Clemons idea, but somethhing might be off there given that he hasn't yet landed.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one would love to see Owen Daniels a Packer. I know there has been some injury issues with him but even with a bottom of the barrel QB like Schaub throwing to him he has had some pretty good years. From what I hear he is a great locker room guy and has a knack for finding holes in the defense. I think that Rodgers can make him better (obviously) and he could be a 65/850/8 guy. Now I know some on here don't think much of AQ but I think he showed some signs last year and could prove to be a pretty good player for us. Again, as is the case with many of our players his numbers will be dependent on him staying on the field which as we all know is easier said than done! Man it would be nice to see this group stay relatively healthy for one season as I think they could hang with anyone...Seahags included. Now if we can just have one of the stud defenders fall to us in the draft...
You nailed it. We need a playmaker on defense from the draft. Peppers was nice, but that's a one or two year thing. I'd be oh with Mosely or Pryor in the first round.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL, I'd like to see us sign Clemons, then Jared Allen. Then we should sign Jones-Drew and Champ Bailey. Then we should hope that no one adds up our cap number. Then we should change our name to the Raiders and have losing seasons for the next decade.

Come on folks. The way TT does free agency may not be as exciting as other teams who sign all sorts of guys every year, but they do that because they have to or because their GMs are shortsighted and worried about their jobs. The occasional signing works well for the packers, so be happy with the boring off seasons and the waiting for guys to develop because it leads to wins during the real season, not the off season.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL, I'd like to see us sign Clemons, then Jared Allen. Then we should sign Jones-Drew and Champ Bailey. Then we should hope that no one adds up our cap number. Then we should change our name to the Raiders and have losing seasons for the next decade.

Come on folks. The way TT does free agency may not be as exciting as other teams who sign all sorts of guys every year, but they do that because they have to or because their GMs are shortsighted and worried about their jobs. The occasional signing works well for the packers, so be happy with the boring off seasons and the waiting for guys to develop because it leads to wins during the real season, not the off season.

I still think though that we need a FS who can be the starter in 2014. I don't care if he's brought in via free agency or the draft though.

Members online