What happen to.........

Reaction score
………Dom Capers, did he land on his feet some where making tons of $$$$$$?
Those people usually do.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
………Don Capers, did he land on his feet some where making tons of $$$$$$?
Those people usually do.

Wikipedia says retired. As far as I know he is still unemployed. If he was fired before the end of his contract he is still probably collecting money from the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Head of the G&G protection family. Hired "goons" to rough up the money guys from the other families. Got forced out by the other bosses to some out of the way senior citizen home after his goons lost their way.
I think you are thinking of Don Knotts.

Don Capers was the head of the 6th Costa nostre family of NYC. Whereas other heads of families like Don Corleone ran the very lucrative Olive Oil importing racket, Don Porusde was head of the much less lucrative capers importation racket. That's why he was nicknamed, Don Capers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL......"Don Capers", Brent Farve and Erin Rogers have opened up their own detective agency, their first task is to uncover all their impersonators.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a personal level, I hope that Dom enjoys retirement or whatever he does from here on out. He came in and made a legitimate defense out of the Packers and deserves credit for resurrecting Woodson's career and helping win a Super Bowl. The world of football passed him by and he didn't adjust, but that happens to lots of coaches (Lambeau...). It was time for him to go but I wish no ill will.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a personal level, I hope that Dom enjoys retirement or whatever he does from here on out. He came in and made a legitimate defense out of the Packers and deserves credit for resurrecting Woodson's career and helping win a Super Bowl. The world of football passed him by and he didn't adjust, but that happens to lots of coaches (Lambeau...). It was time for him to go but I wish no ill will.
all true. Though there were some times he didn't have a lot in the way of available players either, but in the end it's adapt or move on

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he's not out there getting the Bosley Hair thing done he should be. no time like the present. no one will miss him while it's taking hold and then later he can make a entrance somewhere and look like the old Dom.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true there's no reason to bear any ill will towards Capers. I'm not convinced that the game has passed him by though as Thompson didn't provide him with a ton of talent over the past few seasons.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true there's no reason to bear any ill will towards Capers. I'm not convinced that the game has passed him by though as Thompson didn't provide him with a ton of talent over the past few seasons.
He didn't provide them or they weren't available or healthy? I'd say GB has had enough guys that are capable of a very, very high level of play come thru here over the years. Just take the 2 examples everyone likes to use now. Hyde and Hayward. I fully see the reasons why they aren't here. Hayward was injured a lot and then after a pretty decent year was a FA set to make bigger money AND we had 2 guys that rated very well for rookies just finish a very promising rookie season AND an all pro in Sam Shields. Oh hell, i've been thru it 100 times. I don't even care anymore. If you think a guy like Shields is just replaced, or if you can't see the difference between having talented guys on the roster and not having those guys available for practice and and the impact that has on a team there probably isn't anything that can be said to make one see it any differently. I would argue that last years team had enough talent, available even to field a decent defensive team. Clark, Daniels and Lowery are absolutely more than fine at the DL. Perry and Matthews may not be prime Von Millers, but they're a long ****ing ways from Frank Zombo too. Ryan is just a guy, but every great defense has guys just like him on the field at a few positions. Martinez is a tick better, but not stud. Randall is a talented guy, King is a talented guy, Dix is a talented guy, Burnett is a talented guy. this notion we didn't have talent on the roster is BS.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of a good reason to pile on Capers now that he's gone, but I understand some folks live for that sort of thing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just take the 2 examples everyone likes to use now. Hyde and Hayward. I fully see the reasons why they aren't here. Hayward was injured a lot
As soon as players put on a Green Bay uniform, their bone density goes down about 40%.
:confused:

D

Deleted member 6794

He didn't provide them or they weren't available or healthy? I'd say GB has had enough guys that are capable of a very, very high level of play come thru here over the years. Just take the 2 examples everyone likes to use now. Hyde and Hayward. I fully see the reasons why they aren't here. Hayward was injured a lot and then after a pretty decent year was a FA set to make bigger money AND we had 2 guys that rated very well for rookies just finish a very promising rookie season AND an all pro in Sam Shields. Oh hell, i've been thru it 100 times. I don't even care anymore. If you think a guy like Shields is just replaced, or if you can't see the difference between having talented guys on the roster and not having those guys available for practice and and the impact that has on a team there probably isn't anything that can be said to make one see it any differently. I would argue that last years team had enough talent, available even to field a decent defensive team. Clark, Daniels and Lowery are absolutely more than fine at the DL. Perry and Matthews may not be prime Von Millers, but they're a long ******* ways from Frank Zombo too. Ryan is just a guy, but every great defense has guys just like him on the field at a few positions. Martinez is a tick better, but not stud. Randall is a talented guy, King is a talented guy, Dix is a talented guy, Burnett is a talented guy. this notion we didn't have talent on the roster is BS.

The Packers definitely had some good players on defense of the ball over the past few seasons but compared to other teams the unit lacked overall talent. In addition the team hasn't had a single elite player as well as quality depth on that side of the ball in many years.

I understand you have a hard time dealing with Thompson being criticized but if you don't see he allowed the roster to have some significant holes there's nothing I can post to make you see it differently.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely had some good players on defense of the ball over the past few seasons but compared to other teams the unit lacked overall talent. In addition the team hasn't had a single elite player as well as quality depth on that side of the ball in many years.

I understand you have a hard time dealing with Thompson being criticized but if you don't see he allowed the roster to have some significant holes there's nothing I can post to make you see it differently.
:tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like someone better crank up the "Fire Capers" Thread, seems like things are heating up again. :coffee:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would disagree on the notion of the Packers not having any elite players on defense. They had the same number of defensive players on the top 100 as Minnisota. When you consider how poorly the defense played, to have any players ranked is surprising. A player like Kenny Clark, who was omitted from the list, probably would be recognized if the Packers were more successful.

Players were mis-used, out of position, and continual communication break downs. That is poor coaching making players look bad. Plain and simple

If McCarthy had Adams playing QB and Rodgers at LT that would not make them untalented. If every play the OL had a "block alphabetically by middle name" scheme the Packers offense would be ranked last and is not a reflection of the talent.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have much problem seeing picks that didn't work, or decisions that weren't great or a couple entire drafts that amounted to squat for us over the years. it happens. I can see it, easily. I'd say if we didn't have to go 5 deep at probably the 2nd most important position on the defense and Rollins and Randall continued where they left off their rookie seasons and we don't lose Sam Shields for good, nobody is saying this defense lacked talent. I'd say Daniels and Clark are as good of draft picks recently as anybody could expect from their GM. If they don't qualify as Elite, your choice, but if you told me I had to field a defense , and I had to build it around 1 or both of those guys, I'd be so happy I'd probably **** my pants. But they don't qualify as elite? ok, I'd still never deny them a roster spot on my team.

I do have a problem with saying Thompson didn't give him anything to work with. It's ********. There were plenty of guys to have a much better performing defense than we had. It's not Thompson's fault, nor is it Caper's fault a lot of them under performed, or weren't able to perform or be on the field. 1 guy gets removed from the defensive secondary in MN last year and they look like dog ****. We lose 4 and people think it doesn't have an impact on overall defense. :tup:

I understand a guy like Datone was a bad pick. I can understand why he was picked. That thinking is what brought in Sam Shields, that is what brought Nick Collins. Oh I still remember the *****ing after Collins in various forums and all the "who the **** is this guy Thompson is reaching for" comments that were absolutely everywhere. Did he end up qualifying as elite? Datone turned out to be a talented guy with b league motivation. It is also what brought us Randall, who has a bad attitude, but to deny he's talented is silly. Watch some of the plays he made, he's athletic enough to be everything a top DB in this league needs to be. I get that he was headcase here, but to say he didn't pick a talented player? ********. Talented enough that 2 guys many were clamoring as a possible replacement GM here were more than happy to trade for and add to their team. Can they not judge talent either?

Yes there were picks that turned into busts and there were a couple entire drafts that barely yielded a player, but overall, plenty of talented players have been on this roster on both sides of the ball. They all weren't available to be on the field though. Neither of which is Capers or Thompson's fault. Unlike you, and a few others. I don't have this unrelenting need to assign blame. Capers is/was a good defensive mind. I think he needed to change things to fit available players a bit more than he did at times, but at the same time, he was dealt some crappy hands because of available players week to week, not players on the roster. Thompson is a very good evaluator of talent and he's certainly had his share of misses. But They don't need to be perfect for me to recognize how good they were. Take another shot at Thompson for not finding talent. I might let you get away with 450 of them this week because I'm not that motivated. But sometimes I feel like calling BS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts